Nav System & Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 02:23 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Nav System & Bluetooth

Originally Posted by mppkll
The Nav system does support a Bluetooth handsfree option, I have the Visteon Handsfree kit (that is actually the Parrot CK3100) installed in my FEH and it works great. The kit with install cost $300 and works with any Bluetooth phone that supports "Handsfree" or "Headset" profiles. After the kit is installed the phone button on the NAV unit still acts like a mute, but if you are using the phone the NAV unit will display a Phone screen.
Mike,
Did you install it yourself or did you have someone install it for you? If you installed it yourself, how easy was it?

I am curious since I was told no Bluetooth handsfree system was compatible with the NAV system. I have even called Ford and their engineers told me about the incompatability as well. They even told me they had called some outside source as well.

My wife and I both have blutooth phones and I would like to have this function on my NAV work if possible.

Thanks,
Rich

Old 06-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Rich,

I had it installed at Royal Radio in Royal Oak Michigan. Royal Radio was recommended by my dealer and by someone that I talked to at Visteon because they are the authorized service center for Visteon & Ford.

Visteon makes both the NAV head unit and the Bluetooth hands free kit that I'm using (although I found out that Visteon handsfree is re-branded from Parrot). Ford does not have a cable kit for this head unit (not sure why), but it does have a phone audio and phone mute trigger input, so just about any hands free kit could be made to work.

I've been promising to post info on how my unit is hooked up, but have not been able to get to it yet because I have been finishing my design project (I just graduated from U of M). The IGVC competition, where my project will be competing, is this weekend and then I will be gone for a week on vacation. I will try to post photos and pinout info after I get back.

Mike

Old 06-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mppkll
Rich,

I had it installed at Royal Radio in Royal Oak Michigan. Royal Radio was recommended by my dealer and by someone that I talked to at Visteon because they are the authorized service center for Visteon & Ford.

Visteon makes both the NAV head unit and the Bluetooth hands free kit that I'm using (although I found out that Visteon handsfree is re-branded from Parrot). Ford does not have a cable kit for this head unit (not sure why), but it does have a phone audio and phone mute trigger input, so just about any hands free kit could be made to work.

I've been promising to post info on how my unit is hooked up, but have not been able to get to it yet because I have been finishing my design project (I just graduated from U of M). The IGVC competition, where my project will be competing, is this weekend and then I will be gone for a week on vacation. I will try to post photos and pinout info after I get back.

Mike
Thanks Mike,
I'll have to give them a call and find out where I can go in my area.

Congrats on your graduation. I just earned my Masters degree myself.

Thanks,
Rich

Old 07-14-2006, 02:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

I posted an old set of images that had the audio pins for the phone & mute reversed, If you viewed this post on 7/14/06 please don't use images posted that day, I will post the correct images tomorrow.

OK, I've posted the correct images now!

WARNING: IF YOU PROCEED TO INSTALL YOUR OWN HANDSFREE KIT, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. INCORRECT WIRING COULD DAMAGE YOUR NAV UNIT OR FEH. THIS WILL ALSO MOST LIKEY VOID YOUR FEH WARRENTY FOR THE RADIO OR MORE. I ACCEPT NO RESPONIBILITY FOR YOUR USE OF THIS INFORMATION AND I'M SURE GREENHYBRID.COM WILL NOT EITHER! My handsfree kit was installed by Royal Radio in Royal Oak, Michigan a professional installer who does all radio repairs for Ford.

OK with that said, I've been Promising this for a few months and have not been able to get at it due to finishing up at U of M. Now that I've graduated I can get back to some of my other projects. So here is the info needed to connect a Bluetooth handsfree kit to the FEH NAV radio. I have the Visteon Handsfree kit (it is the same as the Parrot CK3100). First here is the link to the kit on the Visteon website:

http://www.evisteon.com/prod_serv/mo...pk/index.shtml

There you will find the installation manual for the Handsfree Kit. Next here is the pinout information for the NAV radio and a Diagram showing where to connect the leads of the handsfree kit. IF ANY OF THIS LOOKS DIFFICULT OR IS NOT UNDERSTOOD DO NOT INSTALL IT YOURSELF.

Last edited by mppkll; 07-15-2006 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

^^ This is just a bump so that people that viewed this thread yesterday will see the updated diagrams ^^

Mike

Old 07-24-2006, 10:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think it is news reports like this, which are the cause of some of the confusion...

"This fully loaded hybrid SUV with leather seats also included a navigation system, 6 cd stereo, and BlueTooth capability for hands-free phone access."

Old 07-24-2006, 11:14 AM

mppkill: Would you please post another picture of the display unit/contoller from further out? Thank you

Old 07-31-2006, 02:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ok, I'll post something this week.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:22 AM

Mike,
This seems like a pretty simple wiring job, would you agree? I mean, I've hooked up car radios before and this seems pretty straightforward. Have you been able to take a look at the connections they made to the Nav radio? I assume they just clipped off the factory connectors from the Parrot unit and crimped on the type of connectors that slide into the Nav harness? If so, it shouldn't be any harder than plugging in 6 wires. I mean, it doesn't even require drawing power from a seperate source.

I realize that making wrong connections could screw things up, but assuming a person makes the right connections this should not be a complicated install correct?

Old 08-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Tim,
For the power supply they put on "vampire" type connectors (vampire connectors are clipped over an existing wire to connect to a new wire without cutting the existing wire). For the connections for the phone audio & trigger they soldered on female connectors to the wires then placed them into the correct holes on the connector plug. So the only modification to the FEH wiring was the addition of the vampire connectors for power. There was no need to cut off the unused connectors from the hands free kit so they just zip tied them out of the way.

If you have done radio installs before you should have no problem with it. Also, I'm sure that now that the connection pin outs are known that other hands free kits will work as well as long as the phone trigger is low enabled (meaning that at ground state the phone audio is on).

Quick Reply: Nav System & Bluetooth

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands