Is Navigation System worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default Is Navigation System worth it?

We're ordering the 09 MMH, and can't decide about the Nav. System. We wouldn't otherwise order it, but don't want to miss out on the battery/fuel info. It's a hefty price to pay for the cool graphics. If you don't get the Nav. System, what information is provided on the "instrument panel" vs. what information do you get on the LCD screen? I haven't seen a photo of an instrument panel that shows where the information is and how it's displayed. Of course, pictures of the interior always show the Nav. System screen.

Prius includes it, you don't have to get a Nav. System. It would be nice if the FEH/MMH had the same deal.

Any opinions or thoughts? I was also considering it for resale, as it seems almost everyone orders these loaded.

Thanks!

Old 05-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is Navigation System worth it?

Originally Posted by ggirl
We're ordering the 09 MMH, and can't decide about the Nav. System. We wouldn't otherwise order it, but don't want to miss out on the battery/fuel info. It's a hefty price to pay for the cool graphics. If you don't get the Nav. System, what information is provided on the "instrument panel" vs. what information do you get on the LCD screen? I haven't seen a photo of an instrument panel that shows where the information is and how it's displayed. Of course, pictures of the interior always show the Nav. System screen.

Prius includes it, you don't have to get a Nav. System. It would be nice if the FEH/MMH had the same deal.

Any opinions or thoughts? I was also considering it for resale, as it seems almost everyone orders these loaded.

Thanks!
The Scanguage II units almost reproduce what the navigational unit provides at a mere price of around $165.00 Please look at the scanguage.com website for further details. The navigational system that Ford uses is not as good as Garmins.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

I can't speak for the 2009, but my 2005 does not have the nav. system. The display shows only the 'normal' stuff... a number for the average economy, a 'graph' for the instant economy, and other normal things like "door ajar", "oil pressure OK", etc.. etc.

There is also a gauge for the amount of charge/discharge status, but nothing on the actual battery state of charge itself.

As far as actually 'needing' the nav system... Well yes it's eye-candy and very pretty to look at, but I don't think I would have spent the money on it (we got ours used so didn't have much of a choice anyway).

Old 05-20-2008, 09:10 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
The Scanguage II units almost reproduce what the navigational unit provides at a mere price of around $165.00 Please look at the scanguage.com website for further details. The navigational system that Ford uses is not as good as Garmins.
The 2008 Nav system in my MMH is vastly superior to the one in the 2007 FEH my girlfriend drives. I'd agree that in general neither is as good as the dedicated Garmin units - but the 2008 software is much improved, the screen is larger, it reads off street names, and I've found it generally does an excellent job. It's similar to the software used in the latest Prius as well.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:49 AM

Can't speak on the 2005-2007 NAV but I do have the 2008 NAV. My wife and I are "window shopping" for houses and ran across a nice feature on the 2008 NAV.

You can input all your destinations (as way-points) and then there is an Optimize button that will arrange them for the shortest/fastest route. Probably not that helpful if you know the area well but then again NAV doesn't really help much in that situation at all.

I have an external NAV unit as well and I definitely prefer the FEH's NAV for the bigger screen and off the windshield/dash location.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:39 AM
Enthusiast
Question Re: Is Navigation System worth it?

Assuming you don't want the NAV system for actual navigation, are there that many options it provides regarding the hybrid systems that would justify the extra cost? I have an external $150 Tom-Tom unit that works just fine for navigation so I don't need a built in unit, but I would like to get more info. on what I would be getting that might be valuable for the hybrid system itself.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:20 AM

That's a really tough question. We have the '08 Nav and my wife really likes it although we don't "use" it very often. It is the first nav system we've owned other than my Garmin hiking-style gps (which works well but doesn't give verbal directions--just arrows).

Regarding the hybrid functions, I use my Scan Gauge for all stats, and rarely pay attention to the screen EXCEPT to tell what mode I am in (hybrid drive, electric drive, engine drive, idle, etc). This information is not easily understandable from the Scan Gauge since it is just numbers and data. I would classify the mode as a "nice to know" but not a necessity, and since you're already used to the Prius, you might not need this at all.

One thing that I think is annoying though about the Nav's hybrid screen: it only has ONE trip meter. On the HCH, I reset trip B every time I get behind the wheel and use trip A to show how I am doing for the whole tank. On the non-Nav MMH we test drove, it looked like there was an average for each trip (A and B) which I would really like to have. Without the dual trip averages, I use my Scan Gauge for the tank and the hybrid screen for the trip...

Old 05-21-2008, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by ggirl

Thanks!
I chose not to get the NAV. Yes, the power display was nice, but not worth $2000, and if you plan to keep the car that NAV screen might end up costing you dollars. I know that in the Prius the display is tied to the HSD, so if the screen goes out, the car goes out. I don't know if the FEH is programmed that way.

I find that the "instant MPG" readout and the "assist" meter provide the information I need to help maximize MPG. The only issue I have is that the "cumulative" MPG reading is right before the "Instant MPG" on the monitor, so in order to see the cumulative MPG I have to press the INFO button several times. Perhaps the Nav display provides both instant and cumulative on the same screen. However, I still would not buy Nav if I were purchasing now, based on my current experience.

It would add to resale, but I don't plan on worrying about that - my FEH is a keeper.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

I ordered mine with it but I figured I would be keeping this vehicle a long time and that if I was plunking down the dough I would make sure I did not leave anything out that I may regret later. Can easily see where others could make the rational decision not to get it though.

Based on what I have read though it appears to be an upgrade from previous versions.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by stevedebi
The only issue I have is that the "cumulative" MPG reading is right before the "Instant MPG" on the monitor, so in order to see the cumulative MPG I have to press the INFO button several times. Perhaps the Nav display provides both instant and cumulative on the same screen.
Yes, you can see both on the screen at once. However, the iFCD is displayed as a ~1 inch bar that goes from zero to 60mpg, and it is darn near impossible to read at a glance. It should go up to 100mpg and be bigger IMO. I would highly recommend getting a Scan Gauge which will you can velcro to the dash at eye level. It will show you your iFCD (as well as your SoC) without needing to hit the info button.

Quick Reply: Is Navigation System worth it?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands