Is Navigation System worth it?

Old 05-21-2008, 02:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is Navigation System worth it?

Originally Posted by kristian
Yes, you can see both on the screen at once. However, the iFCD is displayed as a ~1 inch bar that goes from zero to 60mpg, and it is darn near impossible to read at a glance. It should go up to 100mpg and be bigger IMO.
I think that is the same "bar graph" as the instant MPG on the INFO display in the dash. That is, it has 6 bars, does this mean that "6 bars" is 60 MPG?

Old 05-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kristian
I would highly recommend getting a Scan Gauge which will you can velcro to the dash at eye level. It will show you your iFCD (as well as your SoC) without needing to hit the info button.
At this point I'm just not into the system enough to warrant a scanguage. Maybe when I've gotten past 5000 miles. But in any case I'm not sure I like the idea of velcroing anything to my dash, not to mention that there are CA laws dealing with obstructing the windshield. It is technically against the law in CA to put a GPS on the windshield, although I often see it done.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

I don't miss not having a Nav or a ScanGauge in mine. I have a Nav in the Honda Hybrid, no big deal. I can get 40 mpg in the Escape and 60 in the Honda using common hypermiling techniques (but NEVER tailgaiting a semi).

Old 05-25-2008, 04:36 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

For 09, the sync and nav work together in harmony.
In our 08, we used the mapping system more than I can speak of.
With the 09, the gps mapping system is voice activated, making it even easier.
In a recent commercial it showed the driver requesting a list of gas stations (verbally thru sync). The nav/gps system listed the closest stations and the prices?!?
I thought that would be a very helpful tool depending on how it got the data and how frequently it was updated.
The nav system is actually $300.00 less in the 09 than it was in the 08.
It also makes for a much nicer looking dash imo.

08feh

Old 05-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks All!

Your information helped to confirm our initial thoughts of not paying the extra $3K for the Nav System(Premium Package). I guess if I had the extra money it wouldn't be such a big deal. I'm a visual person and agree it does look a lot nicer, as I stare at the screen on the Prius all the time (the novelty hasn't worn off yet).

MMH ended up being less expensive (I think) than the FEH. The price difference between getting it with leather seats vs the Premium Package (heated leather, Nav System, ambient lighting, reverse sensing, roof rack crossbars) was $3K. I'm not sure what the Nav System stand alone price is though.