Need help replacing '05 tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Enthusiast
Default Need help replacing '05 tires

Hi -
I am in the market to replace my '05 original tires and would love suggestions. I know LRR (low rolling resistance) tires are the standard but the only ones I have found in my size (P235/70R16) are the Michelin Latitude Tour for about $800 out the door. Although I'm sure they are great tires they are out of my budget. Anyone else replaced their OEM Continentals with good results? Thanks

Old 07-31-2009, 03:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Need help replacing '05 tires

Whoever quoted you $200 a tire for the Michelins is ripping you off. You might want to shop around some more.
I'm using the Pirelli Scorpion ATRs and really enjoy them, but they cost me about 1mpg because they're heavier and are not LRR. A set of those was around $600 in 225/75-16 (load range D).
Almost all tires seem to get better reviews than the OEM Continentals, so you're in for a treat when you get new tires.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:10 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Go to Tire rack .com and get your Michelin Lattitude Tours for about $129 each. They sometimes have promos for free shipping to your door.

It was funny.... I did it... for the first time bought tires off the Internet...
They just stick the UPS label right on the tire(s) and send it! No package needed for something "unbreakable" like a tire!

Then, most tire shops will balance and mount the tire(s) for $15 each.
I went to "Big-O" and I think it was $12 each actually.

HTH,
-John

Old 07-31-2009, 08:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Go to Tire rack .com and get your Michelin Lattitude Tours for about $129 each. They sometimes have promos for free shipping to your door.

It was funny.... I did it... for the first time bought tires off the Internet...
They just stick the UPS label right on the tire(s) and send it! No package needed for something "unbreakable" like a tire!

Then, most tire shops will balance and mount the tire(s) for $15 each.
I went to "Big-O" and I think it was $12 each actually.

HTH,
-John
I got mine for $114 each from tire rack. Fast shipping, good group.
The tires are worth at least 2 mpg on my 2006 FEH.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:40 AM
Enthusiast

Another suggestion: Take the tire rack quote to your Ford Dealership. They advertise that they will match prices and I have read that they will match the tire rack quotes. May simplify the installation.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:48 AM
Enthusiast

Any other brands besides Michelin that are LRR?

Old 08-01-2009, 06:17 AM
Enthusiast

I did the math for the Michelin's from tirerack.com and after price, tax, shipping, and taking them locally to be installed the total is $725.00. The best price I got over the phone was $760 "out the door" to drive in and have them installed (which includes lifetime rotation) - not much difference for the additional hassle of ordering online. Still pricey so this is why I am asking if there are any other members who replaced stock tires and are happy with their choice. Thanks!!

Old 08-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

i bought the stock tires on my 05 feh again from ford out the door for 540$ me and my wife like the stock tires. went good in the snow handled good in the rain we like the ride we get.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Just to give you a little bit different idea, going to americastire.com, I picked out a P225/75-16 Michelin Latitude Tour tire and was able to get them for $681 out the door. These tires should have the LRR benefits that the new OEMs have at a lower price. In my experience, 225 width tires handle just as well or better than the stock 235s.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:17 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the suggestions. I went to discounttire.com (which has local shops here) and have 3 tires in mind (all have a $70.00 rebate):

BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A - actually says "low rolling resistance" in the description. With rebate $519.57

BF Goodrich Long Trail Tour T/A - $532.41 with rebate

Michelin Latitude Tour - $690.77 with rebate

Anyone have these tires as replacements with an opinion/experience? Of course the Michelins are #1 choice but if the BF Goodrich's are as good (or better than the Continentals) for much less money I will go with them.

Thanks again for input.

Quick Reply: Need help replacing '05 tires

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands