Need Help Replacing PCV Valve in 2008 FEH

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 01:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default Need Help Replacing PCV Valve in 2008 FEH

I bought a 2008 FEH 4x4 fully loaded last year, and have absolutely loved getting around 30mpg with an SUV that can actually go do a little off-roading on the weekends.

I am nearing 125k miles on the odometer, and I am certain that the PCV valve has never been replaced. I've looked around online to see what sorts of maintenance should be done on these vehicles to help them last as long as possible, and the PCV valve is recommended to be replaced at 100k miles.

In looking for instructions on how to do it (most cars it is VERY easy) it seems that this one lives under the valve cover? Can anyone confirm exactly where the PCV valve lives in the '08 FEH? I've read conflicting reports that it moved with the '08 refresh, and then again on the '09 with the larger engine.

A guide to replacement on this specific year would be ideal.

Thanks!

Old 06-15-2015, 08:43 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Need Help Replacing PCV Valve in 2008 FEH

Using Ford's maintenance service schedule on owner.ford.com for the hybrid, there is no mention of a PCV replacement at 100k or 120k miles. Maybe the hybrid's Atkinson-cycle engine doesn't have a PCV?

Old 06-15-2015, 08:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

At 150k miles there's "Inspect PCV valve for flow and replace, if required" in the Scheduled Maintenance Guide for an '07.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:01 AM
Enthusiast

D-mac - good thought to look on owner.ford.com - I looked up the newest printing of the manual for my specific escape, and it says to check the flow and possibly replace the PCV valve at 150k miles.

Name:  IImKAqg.png
Views: 422
Size:  64.2 KB

So it might still be a little early, but who knows what kind of oil the previous owner put into this thing, and if they did not use synthetic, that valve could be gummed up.

I'm particularly concerned about it because I'm afraid that my escape has started consuming oil - though I have not been carefully monitoring it... it was just a little low the last time I did an oil change (about a month or so ago). Prior to that it had never been low. It's not leaking (that I can find anywhere) and rather than jump to the conclusion it has started burning due to something harder to fix (scored cylinders, head gasket, etc) I wanted to just swap out the PCV valve.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

If the car is running properly and getting good mileage I would leave it alone, just monitor and make sure you aren't using oil. If you really want to change it you have to remove the entire intake. To do that you will have to remove the injectors being careful not to break one since they have a plastic piece on the end that become brittle with all the gasoline. In order to remove the intake you'll first have to take off the throttle body, at that mileage it's due for a cleaning anyways, make sure ALL the carbon is out of it, get a tooth brush or something with a brass brush, no steel or hard metals. There are several connectors, make sure they're all off and the harness is removed from the intake. Remove the belt tensioner to get access to inside the intake for the bolt that is under the middle intake for cylinders 2 and 3. This is a good time to change the serpentine belt since you have over 100k anyways. There will be 8 10mm bolts. Use a 1/4 inch metric set that has both an extension and shallow and deep wells. The craftsman kit that's under 30 bucks is a great little kit. when all the bolts are off go under the truck and remove the 13mm bolt that attaches the dipstick to the oil pan and then separate that from the pan removing the stick first. Disconnect the hose from the pcv valve. Pull the intake away and then remove the egr tube with a 22mm open end wrench, remove the intake and clean it up with intake cleaner and the block with the same, just be careful not to get a lot into the engine itself. A very small brass brush works great for this, just keep wetting it with throttle body cleaner. To take off the pcv it is recommended to remove all the 8mm bolts from the oil separator and remove it from the block, be careful of the o-ring. To remove the cap CAREFULLY press on the parts that have vertical lines opposite the openings. If it busts the only way I know to get a new one is with the oil separator and that is about $45 from Ford. You are trying to clear the little dimples, it does not turn at all. Once that is done remove the pcv valve and install the new pcv valve with a new o-ring, I believe that is the part that Ford erronously calls a retainer, otherwise any similar o-ring should work. Line up the cap and press down firmly until it clicks into place then attach the hose and attach the separator to the block. The installation is pretty much reverse of removal.

This isn't an quck job, plan on not being able to use the vehicle for up to three days depending on the day you do it and when the parts department is able to get you the separator if you do break the retainer. Youtube is another great resource for this. I watched a 34 minute video of the procedure that was decent. The main thing is to take your time and make sure you have an extendable magnet, there is a 99% chance you will need it.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:38 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08escapehybrid
If the car is running properly and getting good mileage I would leave it alone, just monitor and make sure you aren't using oil. If you really want to change it you have to remove the entire intake. To do that you will have to remove the injectors being careful not to break one since they have a plastic piece on the end that become brittle with all the gasoline. In order to remove the intake you'll first have to take off the throttle body, at that mileage it's due for a cleaning anyways, make sure ALL the carbon is out of it, get a tooth brush or something with a brass brush, no steel or hard metals. There are several connectors, make sure they're all off and the harness is removed from the intake. Remove the belt tensioner to get access to inside the intake for the bolt that is under the middle intake for cylinders 2 and 3. This is a good time to change the serpentine belt since you have over 100k anyways. There will be 8 10mm bolts. Use a 1/4 inch metric set that has both an extension and shallow and deep wells. The craftsman kit that's under 30 bucks is a great little kit. when all the bolts are off go under the truck and remove the 13mm bolt that attaches the dipstick to the oil pan and then separate that from the pan removing the stick first. Disconnect the hose from the pcv valve. Pull the intake away and then remove the egr tube with a 22mm open end wrench, remove the intake and clean it up with intake cleaner and the block with the same, just be careful not to get a lot into the engine itself. A very small brass brush works great for this, just keep wetting it with throttle body cleaner. To take off the pcv it is recommended to remove all the 8mm bolts from the oil separator and remove it from the block, be careful of the o-ring. To remove the cap CAREFULLY press on the parts that have vertical lines opposite the openings. If it busts the only way I know to get a new one is with the oil separator and that is about $45 from Ford. You are trying to clear the little dimples, it does not turn at all. Once that is done remove the pcv valve and install the new pcv valve with a new o-ring, I believe that is the part that Ford erronously calls a retainer, otherwise any similar o-ring should work. Line up the cap and press down firmly until it clicks into place then attach the hose and attach the separator to the block. The installation is pretty much reverse of removal.

This isn't an quck job, plan on not being able to use the vehicle for up to three days depending on the day you do it and when the parts department is able to get you the separator if you do break the retainer. Youtube is another great resource for this. I watched a 34 minute video of the procedure that was decent. The main thing is to take your time and make sure you have an extendable magnet, there is a 99% chance you will need it.
Thank you VERY much for the detailed write-up. I'm not sure when I'll plan to take a crack at this, but possibly over the winter I'll muster the courage.

I've dug around a little on YouTube looking for the video you mention, but I'm not sure I'm finding the right one. Was it
?

Old 11-15-2016, 09:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

That's the one, if you do it over winter I recommend keeping all the pcv components inside and taking the oil separator inside to let it warm up before you try to remove the pcv valve to give it a better chance at not breaking. It it fragile plastic as it is.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Considering you have to replace the pcv which is like 15, the o-ring which is like 7 and the cap is a huge wild card I would say to go ahead and get the oil separator kit for the $45 and that comes with the pcv valve, oil separator and o-ring and the pcv o ring and the clip for the new pcv valve. The only reason I didn't do it that way was I already had the pcv valve and then realized I didn't have the o-ring or clip.

You should also get a new set of intake gaskets, the ones from o-reilleys seemed decent, but the throttle body one that include is different than what you need. I would recommend the for one for $17 that way you know it's done right.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:41 AM
Enthusiast

Wow, a lot harder than my 65 T-Bird. Lol

Old 01-18-2018, 02:10 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08escapehybrid
You should also get a new set of intake gaskets, the ones from o-reilleys seemed decent, but the throttle body one that include is different than what you need. I would recommend the for one for $17 that way you know it's done right.
Thank you for the detailed write up, can you provide a link by any chance? I also looked for an oil separator kit and it was all sold out on eBay...

Quick Reply: Need Help Replacing PCV Valve in 2008 FEH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands