Need information urgently. For those who changed their transmission fluid please read

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 12:40 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Need information urgently. For those who changed their transmission fluid please read

I am trying to track down a clunking issue in my front end but haven't had much luck. I changed my transmission fluid and noticed a small amount of metal in there, it almost looked like brass. I need to know if this is normal so I know which direction to go. I know a few of you have changed your fluid so please respond. My last thread on this got no response when hundreds looked at it.

Thanks,

Tyler

Old 07-30-2016, 09:56 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Need information urgently. For those who changed their transmission fluid please

I had the eCVT fluid changed on my FEH at about 90,000 miles. The mechanic did not report any metal contamination, and I'm sure he would have mentioned it had he found it. I had the fluid changed to correct a whirring sound, but that sound eventually was correctly diagnosed as a worn wheel bearing.

At the risk of insulting your competence, is the unit in question the eCVT or the Power Transfer Unit. The latter is known to wear out, the eCVT is not.

There are many things that can cause clunking noises in the front end. Driveshaft CV joints, loose parts in steering column, worn ball joints, worn sway bar bushings, worn tie rods. If you shake the steering wheel side to side an inch or so rapidly, does the clunk show up? Is it a function of road bumps? Applying the brakes?

Old 07-30-2016, 10:53 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Need information urgently. For those who changed their transmission fluid please

I went through the whole front end recently. Both wheel bearings were replaced, inner and outer tie rods, control arms, shocks were done about a yearish ago, the cv shafts seem relatively tight, the only play is where the driver's side cv goes into the cvt it moves up and down slightly which has me worried the output shaft bearing of the cvt is getting sloppy.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Sounds like you've eliminated most of the possibilities. Does the noise seem related to road surface or steering issues, or driveline operation? Maybe do some research on the eCVT and see if there's anything in it made of brass, especially near the output shaft. Many FEH's are used as taxis and similar, and rack up vast mileage without eCVT issues.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's unrelated to road surface or steering. It is definitely a driveline issue. Finding information about the eCVT is just about impossible. I did talk to someone else that said that the PTU does clunk in the same way that I am getting a clunk before there is the more obvious growling noise of death from it.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:45 PM
Enthusiast

At least the eCVT's are so reliable that there are plenty of them used on ebay. All under $1000. Many for far less.