Need new front brakes at 38,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 05:42 AM
Enthusiast
Angry Need new front brakes at 38,000 miles

Has anyone else had a problem with front rotors rusting and causing the brake pads to wear prematurely? That's what happened to me. The front rotors rusted so badly that they became pitted and caused premature wear on the brake pads. I had to have completely news rotors and pads installed in the front and had to have the rear rotors turned to remove a lighter layer of rust. The rear pads were not yet worn enough to require replacement.

The cost - $618! Needless to say, I'm not very happy with my Ford Hybrid at this point in time.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:05 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Need new front brakes at 38,000 miles

It's been suggested on here that you can put your vehicle in neutral and brake to a stop periodically to remove rust from the rotors. The FEH wont let you do stuff like step on the brake and gas pedal at the same time to get the rotors and pads hot.
I do the brake test about once a week and more often if it gets wet. 55,000 miles and the original discs and pads are still good.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Enthusiast

I second D-mac's suggestion. I do that same and still have the origional pads and rotors with very little wear and 54,511 miles on it.

Also, I do the same with my Emergency brake. I speed up to 20 MPH and then apply the E-Brake lightly until I come to a complete stop. I apply the foot brake, shift in to park, release the foot brake and then release the E-Brake. I do this maybe once a month. On my '07 MMH, it has two rear brakes, the rear disc brakes and drum in rotor brakes for the E-Brake.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the tips! Sure wish I had read about doing that earlier. I've always been really easy on the brakes - - and in this case doing that probably actually made the situation worse by never cleaning off the rust - - so it just kept building up.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Sounds more like you got had by a service manager. Firestone or Goodyear..??

Light rusting of the braking surface area is SOP for brake rotors and heavy rusting for the other surfaces pretty much the same.

Rusting/pitted enough to wear brake pads out prematurely......NOT.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:35 PM

Sounds more like you got had by a service manager. Firestone or Goodyear..??

Light rusting of the braking surface area is SOP for brake rotors and heavy rusting for the other surfaces pretty much the same.

Rusting/pitted enough to wear brake pads out prematurely......NOT.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I use my e-brake to get rid of the grab caused by wet brakes when it rains, so mine get used at least once a month.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:40 PM
Enthusiast

I had the work done by a supposedly reputable Ford dealer.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by colchiro
I use my e-brake to get rid of the grab caused by wet brakes when it rains, so mine get used at least once a month.
Hmmm..

Grab.....Wet brakes....GRAB....!!

It is my lifelong experience that if my brakes are wet I have very little braking at all, let alone "grab". BMW has new system wherein if the rain detecting wipers activate they automatic apply a light level of braking to keep the rotors dry just in case.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Doug121041
I had the work done by a supposedly reputable Ford dealer.
I suggest never having work done there ever again.

Quick Reply: Need new front brakes at 38,000 miles

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands