Need to step on gas to start car? 2008 FEH

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 10:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Need to step on gas to start car? 2008 FEH

Hi all... New to the forum here. Very glad to have found it.

I am buying a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid with 73k miles from a good friend of mine. I test drove it and it all seems like it is in great condition. The one thing I noticed was that I needed to turn the key and press the gas a little bit to get it to start up. Is this normal? Or a sign of something lurking? Ohhhh, scary.

I will bring the car to a local mechanic... but I thought I would post something here since I have a good idea that people here will know more about the car than my mechanic.

I am getting a good deal on it $12,500 and am very excited to make the purchase. If there is anything specific I should ask my mechanic to look out for (or anything I should test / look out for myself) please let me know.

I greatly appreciate your advice.

Joe

Old 01-31-2014, 07:19 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Need to step on gas to start car? 2008 FEH

There is no reason to ever have to press the gas pedal to start a fuel injected car. I'm wondering though if you're aware that there is a momentary lapse between turning the key and the engine actually starting on these vehicles. Unlike other cars that just start up immediately, the FEH takes a second to 'bootup' as it were. Try NOT pressing the gas and seeing if it starts. If it continues to crank without starting, then you've got a problem, possibly with the fuel pump, or delivery systems.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thatjoerussellguy
Hi all... New to the forum here. Very glad to have found it.

I am buying a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid with 73k miles from a good friend of mine. I test drove it and it all seems like it is in great condition. The one thing I noticed was that I needed to turn the key and press the gas a little bit to get it to start up. Is this normal? Or a sign of something lurking? Ohhhh, scary.

I will bring the car to a local mechanic... but I thought I would post something here since I have a good idea that people here will know more about the car than my mechanic.

I am getting a good deal on it $12,500 and am very excited to make the purchase. If there is anything specific I should ask my mechanic to look out for (or anything I should test / look out for myself) please let me know.

I greatly appreciate your advice.

Joe
I never have to press the gas pedal on my 2008.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

I never have stepped on the gas pedal to start my vehicle that has over 100,000 miles.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thatjoerussellguy
I needed to turn the key and press the gas a little bit to get it to start up. Is this normal?
The gas pedal is only operational when the FEH is in L, D or R, it has no effect on engine rpm when in N or P. So the gas pedal could have no effect when starting the engine in Park.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:53 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I only turn the key to "on" for about a second and let go of it. That's long enough to initiate the built-in start sequence.

These hybrids have what amounts to a super-sized starting system, using the big hybrid battery to turn over the gas engine using one of the electric motors. It does not use the 12V battery for cranking, and doesn't have a starter. So if you're still having problems, that will help point to the problem area.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:13 PM
Enthusiast

2006, 100K maint done, replaced H/V batt air filter. No gas given while starting, runs great.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

This is confusing. The car is in run mode if the dash indicator is lit (different for various years -- but on the '08 and newer I believe it's a green car graphic with a double pointing arrow under it, showing that it's ready to go). The car won't necessarily "start", as in gasoline engine running. You may drive away in electric mode and it might be a bit (more in warmer weather) before the gas engine starts running. But you don't care. Just turn the key, put it in gear and DRIVE. Don't be concerned about the gas engine --- it'll take care of itself.

If you turn the key, get the green light showing it's ready to go, and it doesn't run the gas engine, BUT you WANT it to: Press down on the accelerator and the gas engine will begin running .... but probably not for long. The computer will check out the situation and if it feels running the gas engine is unnecessary ... it will shut it down again.

Note: In colder weather and just "starting" the car .... it will make a difference if the heater is "on" or not. The heater can 'force' the gas engine to run to get the heat. Same when you stop. The gas engine will run more if the heater is "on"... for obvious reasons. This does not imply however, that the gas engine "always" runs when the heater is "on" -- the computer will sort that out and decide for you.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

[QUOTE=xspirit;251072]I only turn the key to "on" for about a second and let go of it. That's long enough to initiate the built-in start sequence.

I find that I can turn the key for as short a time as humanly possible (in other words not even 1 full second -- more like an 1/8 of second) and the dash light indicates it's ready to go. I'm reasonably sure turning the key for 1 or 2 seconds is no problem .... but you needn't go that long, the computer got the message in a fraction of a second.
Remember, it's just sending a signal to the computer that you want to "start" the car. The response may well be to turn on the dash light and that's all (at least from the driver's perspective). You are not "Starting the car" as in a non-hybrid vehicle. That is cranking the engine -- we don't do that. We let the computer decide when to use the 'big' (traction) battery to turn the electric motor (94HP) to start the gas engine when it feels like it.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:43 PM
Enthusiast

Need...start car? 2008 FEH,

The 2006 base model FEH has two 'orange' selections for defrost and heat. Select either one and the gas engine stays on all the time. So I do my best to only go to these when humidity is high or window fogged. Yeah, they look goofy at first but get window air-dams and you can leave them rolled-down about 1" all year to assist with cabin ventilation.

Quick Reply: Need to step on gas to start car? 2008 FEH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands