Need to step on gas to start car? 2008 FEH

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 08:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Need to step on gas to start car? 2008 FEH

[quote=RiverRat37;251207]
Originally Posted by xspirit
I only turn the key to "on" for about a second and let go of it. That's long enough to initiate the built-in start sequence.

I find that I can turn the key for as short a time as humanly possible (in other words not even 1 full second -- more like an 1/8 of second) and the dash light indicates it's ready to go. I'm reasonably sure turning the key for 1 or 2 seconds is no problem .... but you needn't go that long, the computer got the message in a fraction of a second.
Remember, it's just sending a signal to the computer that you want to "start" the car. The response may well be to turn on the dash light and that's all (at least from the driver's perspective). You are not "Starting the car" as in a non-hybrid vehicle. That is cranking the engine -- we don't do that. We let the computer decide when to use the 'big' (traction) battery to turn the electric motor (94HP) to start the gas engine when it feels like it.
You're quite correct. I'm still getting used to the ignition just sending a signal, as opposed to engaging a starter motor to crank until the engine starts.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Need to step on gas to start car? 2008 FEH

[quote=RiverRat37;251207]
Originally Posted by xspirit
I only turn the key to "on" for about a second and let go of it. That's long enough to initiate the built-in start sequence.

I find that I can turn the key for as short a time as humanly possible (in other words not even 1 full second -- more like an 1/8 of second) and the dash light indicates it's ready to go. I'm reasonably sure turning the key for 1 or 2 seconds is no problem .... but you needn't go that long, the computer got the message in a fraction of a second.
Remember, it's just sending a signal to the computer that you want to "start" the car. The response may well be to turn on the dash light and that's all (at least from the driver's perspective). You are not "Starting the car" as in a non-hybrid vehicle. That is cranking the engine -- we don't do that. We let the computer decide when to use the 'big' (traction) battery to turn the electric motor (94HP) to start the gas engine when it feels like it.
My 2008 certainly doesn't work that way. The green "go" light won't illuminate unless the engine is started first.