Nervous about buying a hybrid escape -- HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 04:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Nervous about buying a hybrid escape -- HELP PLEASE!

Originally Posted by travelover
Please repost when you are in the middle of no where and the dash lights up like a Christmas tree and the vehicle powers down. I'm sure that Billy Bob at the nearest gas station will get you going right away.

Signed, Nervous Nellie.

Really? And you've experienced this personally? Do tell... I've read reports like this. It's pretty rare. Billy Bob won't be able to fix your BMW, Mercedes, or Saab when it pukes either.

Like I said... If fears like this keep you up at night then go buy a gas guzzler and sleep tight.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:19 AM
Feral Engineer

I can't wait until I have 5000 miles on my FEH so I can be an expert, too.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by travelover
I can't wait until I have 5000 miles on my FEH so I can be an expert, too.

108,056... and counting. It's you who is OBVIOUSLY the expert. You should sell yours if you hate it so much and quit trying to poison people against them.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:55 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by corski67
....... I bought my hybrid with 102K on it. .............I've put over 5K on it with no major problems so far. ..............

Old 10-13-2010, 12:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well, I've got >81,000 mi on mine, and have barely even serviced it. It's extremely reliable, and though I could (gladly) make some suggestions to Ford about a few items, I like the vehicle still, at this point. I plan on keeping it another 100k, but wish I had a better opinion / relationship with a local Ford service dep't relating to FEH expertise. They're not particularly popular vehicles around here from what I can tell.

Dropping another HV battery into it is NOT something I'm afraid of, anymore than changing any other battery in anything I can think of.

Due to it's complexity, specialized nature, and potentially higher service and repair costs, it should have a steeper drop in resale value than a V6 model. Of course all other valuation considerations still apply, including your own intentions and abilities to perform service and repairs yourself.

If I'm successful in keeping mine running well for another 100k miles, I'll look to buy my next one in a very slightly used condition, for 15 - 20% below it's typical "new" price.

I expect that mine will only sell for $3000 with 180,000 miles on it, even if it is in excellent condition for its age. Of course I'll be checking the web to see what people are asking/selling them for at that time.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well, I've got >81,000 mi on mine, and have barely even serviced it. It's extremely reliable, and though I could (gladly) make some suggestions to Ford about a few items, I like the vehicle still, at this point. I plan on keeping it another 100k, but wish I had a better opinion / relationship with a local Ford service dep't relating to FEH expertise. They're not particularly popular vehicles around here from what I can tell.

Dropping another HV battery into it is NOT something I'm afraid of, anymore than changing any other battery in anything I can think of.

Due to it's complexity, specialized nature, and potentially higher service and repair costs, it should have a steeper drop in resale value than a V6 model. Of course all other valuation considerations still apply, including your own intentions and abilities to perform service and repairs yourself.

If I'm successful in keeping mine running well for another 100k miles, I'll look to buy my next one in a very slightly used condition, for 15 - 20% below it's typical "new" price.

I expect that mine will only sell for $3000 with 180,000 miles on it, even if it is in excellent condition for its age. Of course I'll be checking the web to see what people are asking/selling them for at that time.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Update: 117,254 and counting... Still no "stop safely now" or other major malfunctions. These are good cars folks. If they do OK in NYC as taxi cabs they have to be able to take some abuse. I witnessed them being flogged personally... Man they drive those things hard!

Old 04-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'm the lucky guy who got the lemon. My 09 is literally falling apart at now 60k miles.

The worst part of my Ford owning experience has been the lack of support from both the dealership (several) and Ford Motor Company.
A word of wisdom; If you buy a Ford Hybrid and you have problems, you are going to pay. There is NO customer service or support from this company. You are on your own.

Here is a post on the problems I had at 50k.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...es-long-25792/

Old 04-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by colchiro
That's my major concern. I was just told my stealership no longer has a hybrid tech.
That's an excellent, and important point. When I purchased
my 06 FEH ( 75k ) before I paid the private party for it I checked
with my local Ford dealer on Hybrid Techs. They have two.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08FEH
I'm the lucky guy who got the lemon. My 09 is literally falling apart at now 60k miles.

The worst part of my Ford owning experience has been the lack of support from both the dealership (several) and Ford Motor Company.
A word of wisdom; If you buy a Ford Hybrid and you have problems, you are going to pay. There is NO customer service or support from this company. You are on your own.

Here is a post on the problems I had at 50k.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...es-long-25792/

Nice job of documenting the issues. I guess I would probably be bothered too if I had bought new and experienced some of the problems you have. It seems that much of the blame belongs to the dealership from my view. A good service department would have done better for you. The window rolling up and down sounded like creaking coming from the door panel to me... I think mine does the same but I never really paid much attention to it. Most of the issues you pointed out are easier to overlook on a used vehicle. You bought a new vehicle expecting it to behave like it should. No excuses for Ford. I would expect better myself.

Quick Reply: Nervous about buying a hybrid escape -- HELP PLEASE!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands