New 08 Escape MPG's???

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Enthusiast
Default New 08 Escape MPG's???

I justed purchased a new 08 escape. I have only used about half a tank of gas and averaging 30 MPG. I have been 50/50 between city and hwy driving. Here in So California I will be run over if not doing at least 68mph on the fwy(Traffic permitting). Can I expect to see an improvement in gas mileage once it is broken in? If so how much? and how many miles is considered broken in?

Old 05-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New 08 Escape MPG's???

Originally Posted by Gwayne
I justed purchased a new 08 escape. I have only used about half a tank of gas and averaging 30 MPG. I have been 50/50 between city and hwy driving. Here in So California I will be run over if not doing at least 68mph on the fwy(Traffic permitting). Can I expect to see an improvement in gas mileage once it is broken in? If so how much? and how many miles is considered broken in?

Some of your questions are answered in the FEH FAQ section. Take a peek. Enjoy your ride and post back mpg figures several months from now.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:13 AM

Assuming that it's a FWD as a AWD at 30 is really good. I seem to avg 30 a tank for the year now. Actually the winter it dipped into 27-28's with cold weather and short trips (which leads to litlle to no ICE off time).
You can click my MPG at the bottom to see my chart, or go to everyone elses charts too.
I just switched to a station that's supposed to be 100% gas ie no Ethenol added, last week so I'm hoping that will boost my mpg's some. That along with warmer weather. So far it has seem to help, the computer readout is hanging around 33.x so far.
Driving habits seem to be the biggest FE hits/bosters. Fast starts, fast speeds = lower mpg's. Luckily my commute to work, as well as being short 5-6miles, give me 2 routes. 1 is highway speeds 60+, the other is back roads 45mph. I now thake the back roads, it only adds like 1min to my time, but is much better for FE!

I just passed 12K miles, I haven't noticed a broken in improvement yet.

PS For mods, one of the first I did was the side moldings... I like the look, set's it apart from other Escape's, breaks up the large boring sides, and maybe someday if I ever park near someone else they will serve a purpose

Oh yea forgot, Welcome and Enjoy the ride!

Old 05-27-2008, 08:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

I am in Charlotte, NC. We purchased our FEH FWD in February and so far we're averaging 36.7 mpg in the city and on the one highway trip we took we averaged 31 mpg. I seem to remember reading that the 'break in' period ends at 3000 miles. We currently have 3300 miles on the vehicle.

Last edited by Sascol; 05-27-2008 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sascol
I seem to remember reading that the 'break in' period ends at 3000 miles. We currently have 3300 miles on the vehicle.
Most cars continue to improve mileagewise for the first 10-15k miles based on my experience. We only have 4,400 on the Mariner, but my HCH is still improving at 14,400. On the MMH, I am anticipating another "break in mpg jump" when I switch to 0-20w oil.

Gwayne, if you haven't actually computed your mileage, you're probably closer to 28mpg than 30--the computer tends to be a little optimistic. Still, that is pretty good for your first tank! Enjoy the ride!

Old 05-27-2008, 12:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kristian
Gwayne, if you haven't actually computed your mileage, you're probably closer to 28mpg than 30--the computer tends to be a little optimistic.
I have heard this before but when I compute my milage manually, it is actually higher than the computer tells me.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:44 PM

Weird. I wish mine was the same way. It's kinda demoralizing to have a reading of 36-something and have it calculate out to 34.6...

Old 05-27-2008, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by kristian
Weird. I wish mine was the same way. It's kinda demoralizing to have a reading of 36-something and have it calculate out to 34.6...
Same here. My computer is consistently 1-2MPG optimistic. Most of my driving is a 50/50 split between city (30-45mph) and highway (60-70mph).

I'll be taking a long trip this weekend so I should be able to get a 90%+ highway trip and see where the computer is compared to the fill-up in a majority highway mode.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sascol
I have heard this before but when I compute my milage manually, it is actually higher than the computer tells me.
Are you resetting the computer MPG counter at each re-fill? What

Old 05-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

My 08 FEH AWD almost always reads ~1.75 mpg higher than hand calculation. On perhaps two occasions over the past 8400 miles, the hand calculated resulted in a higher reading. Always reset at fillup.

Quick Reply: New 08 Escape MPG's???

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands