New FEH Owner....How do I know I am driving in 'EV'?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default New FEH Owner....How do I know I am driving in 'EV'?

Hello everyone. I've been reading the boards and keep seeing users referencing that mileage is improved if you can learn to drive the vehicle in EV as long as possible. I have a 2008 FWD Escape Hybrid (only 2 weeks old!). How do I know if I am in/out of EV? Is there a gauge or something I need to look at or is it simply by the way the engine sounds (or doesn't sound)? I'm sure it's obvious and I will feel stupid for asking but I'm still asking!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Sascol; 03-06-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:59 PM
N/A
Default Re: New FEH Owner....How do I know I am driving in 'EV'?

Look at the tachometer. When the engine is off it goes to zero, but when the engine is off and you're moving (in EV in other words) it drops below zero into the "green" zone. If it's in the green zone, you're in EV.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
EV means "Electric (only) Vehicle".

When your Tachometer is below zero RPM, the gas engine is not going at all. There is a little EV icon on there, isn't there?

So when the tach is below zero, and pointing to EV, you are an all electric vehicle then. No gas at all is being used.

This is possible after the car engine is warmed up to normal, you do not need to have the Air Conditioner or defrost running, and you are moving less than 40 MPH. The car goes to EV more easlily when you are using the brake, or going less than 25 MPH, or are totally stopped.

-John

Old 03-06-2008, 03:00 PM

RPM meter, or engine speed

( revolutions per minute )

Old 03-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Enthusiast

Sascol:
EV icon on the 2008 FEH is down below the 1000 RPM on the tach next to the green line. I have a 2008 also. The RPM's will be at 1000 or more when the ICE is running and will drop into the green area below 0 RPM when in EV mode. You will find that with more miles and improved techniques that you can keep it in EV mode longer, mine is just starting to go in EV easier and stay in longer at 1600 miles.
Bob

Last edited by BobB; 03-10-2008 at 08:17 AM. Reason: wrote without thinking
Old 03-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

You know this thread is really good evidence of how good a job Ford did in eliminating engine noise and the vibration associated with the ICE going on and off.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by BobB
No EV icon on the 2008 FEH. I have a 2008 also. The RPM's will be at 1000 or more when the ICE is running and will drop into the green area below 0 RPM when in EV mode. Bob
This is the EV Icon in a 2008. It is in the same place in 2005-2007's.
New look for the tach, but same place for the icon. The person who sold you the car should have gone over this.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Enthusiast

I just recently bought a used 06 escape hybrid and I'm still learning my way around it. I have read around, and from the above posts, I'm can't tell if I'm running properly. I drive about 10-15 miles to work everyday. Most of the drive is 40+ mph, but it's stop and go, and the first 5 minutes or so are <35mph.

I have never had the tach go to zero. It stays at 1000 when I'm stopped at lights. Could this just be because I'm driving it too hard, or should I be concerned?

Old 03-19-2008, 03:37 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

The engine must warm all the way up before you can go into EV also if the defroster is on it will not go into ev because it runs the ac.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Enthusiast

ah, could be the defrost. will have to try that out.

Quick Reply: New FEH Owner....How do I know I am driving in 'EV'?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands