New FEH Owner - w/ just a few problems.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Enthusiast
Default New FEH Owner - w/ just a few problems.

Hey everyone,

I have been reading the forums for the past several weeks as I've been doing research and I finally pulled the trigger on an 05 FEH last Thursday.

Here's a photo:

Name:  IMG_20130520_165114_zps2b005ae2.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  119.1 KB

So there's one or two minor problems with the car, one of which is bothering more than the other: The info display underneath the tachometer is barely functioning. It's not completely off, but very very dim. Here is a photo:

Name:  IMG_20130520_131212_zps726a12c2.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  70.3 KB

Is this a common problem? I haven't been able to find anything on it.

Thank you for the help!

Old 05-20-2013, 05:00 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New FEH Owner - w/ just a few problems.

Have you pressed the button(s) under the radio to move the display to another value?

Old 05-20-2013, 05:06 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk24
Have you pressed the button(s) under the radio to move the display to another value?
Yes. If I'm able to post pictures successfully on a forum I would hope to know that the menu changes with a button.

As I said in the description it "works" its just very dim. I can press the Info button and it will beep and change, but doesn't get any brighter or more readable.

Thanks for the response though.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

It looks like the lower body panels have been resprayed to match the body color (I believe they were originally silver or unpainted/black). Which raises the possibility the vehicle was in an accident requiring body repair and respraying.
Another issue may be if your FEH was originally equipped with a navigation system and has been replaced.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by D-mac
It looks like the lower body panels have been resprayed to match the body color (I believe they were originally silver or unpainted/black). Which raises the possibility the vehicle was in an accident requiring body repair and respraying.
Another issue may be if your FEH was originally equipped with a navigation system and has been replaced.
I think Ford did match the paint with the Appearance Package with this color. When I ordered my '05 FEH, the dealer told me the Appearance Package only came in the color with this silver paint. I told him he was wrong and to call Ford. I did get the Appearance Package on my green '05 FEH with the Off color silver bottom. I've seen many silver FEH's with the matching bottoms.

Gary

Old 05-22-2013, 07:29 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D-mac
What does the paint have to do with anything? I never even mentioned that. In person it looks perfect. I just washed and waxed the car a few days ago and it looks fine. Car fax didn't show any accidents (which I know doesn't mean that much) but I have been able to find no evidence that this car was ever in an accident.

Also, the navigation works perfectly and I didn't even mention that. My problem is with the display under tachometer being very very dim. I can only read it when it's bright outside and light hits the display well.

Originally Posted by GaryG
I think Ford did match the paint with the Appearance Package with this color. When I ordered my '05 FEH, the dealer told me the Appearance Package only came in the color with this silver paint. I told him he was wrong and to call Ford. I did get the Appearance Package on my green '05 FEH with the Off color silver bottom. I've seen many silver FEH's with the matching bottoms.

Gary
Thank you for the clarification.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Can you put the instrument cluster in test mode? If that doesn't change the display I would figure that the LCD itself is bad. I think you get into the test mode by holding down the trip odometer button while turning the car on.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:05 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FjordHybrid
Can you put the instrument cluster in test mode? If that doesn't change the display I would figure that the LCD itself is bad. I think you get into the test mode by holding down the trip odometer button while turning the car on.
The display changes successfully. It is just very difficult to read because it is so dim. I press the button and it beeps and you can extremely faintly see the display change, but it's just so dim.

I'm starting to thing the LCD display has gone bad as well. :/

I was hoping it was a common problem and there was just a loose connection somewhere that was fixable.