New To Hybrids - Have a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 07:39 AM
Enthusiast
Default New To Hybrids - Have a couple questions

My girlfriend has a Ford Escape Hybrid (2006 I believe) that is getting fairly poor mileage (about 24MPG, mostly city) and I'm trying to figure out if there are any common things to replace that might help. It has ~85K miles on it. After searching the forums a little bit, it seems like the first thing I should do is replace the battery AC filter, any ideas on what else should be done to the car? I'm pretty mechanically inclined (my Subaru has 150K miles on it and its been in the shop once), but I know next to nothing about hybrids. Thanks in advance for any help!

Rob

Old 09-06-2012, 08:35 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New To Hybrids - Have a couple questions

Wondering if it's a 4WD or FWD.

Mileage #'s for each from fueleconomy.gov's website:
FWD, city/combined/hwy -- 30/29/28
4WD, city/combined/hwy -- 28/27/26

You're not too far off already, depending on driving style and terrain, but checking the usual things can help, such as the already-mentioned traction battery air filter (cheap off rockauto or amazon), ensuring coolant flow to traction battery (check MECS pump, coolant levels, etc), ensuring the traction battery blend door actuator is functioning correctly, and ensuring the traction battery cooling fans are working correctly. Assuming you're not throwing any codes, but maybe worth plugging into the OBDII port and checking just in case.

BTW, if you want any other info on these things, give me your email address and I'll give you all the docs I recently created to help me understand all these things.

Last edited by 84GT Ragtop; 09-06-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Enthusiast

It's a 4WD, so I guess it's not that far off from what the giv site says. From what I was reading other places I thought it should be getting closer to the low 30's...

I just ordered the battery filter from Amazon, from what I understand it takes about 2 minutes to install and it was only $14. Is the MECS pump the one that you check by turning the ignition to "ON" (without starting it) and listen for it under the radiator? Will most standard OBDII readers be able to check for these other problems?

Also, unrelated to the MPG issue...when she hits the button on her remote to unlock the doors there is a fairly loud clicking noise that comes from the engine bay, any idea what that might be?

Old 09-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScuubyT
It's a 4WD, so I guess it's not that far off from what the giv site says. From what I was reading other places I thought it should be getting closer to the low 30's...

I just ordered the battery filter from Amazon, from what I understand it takes about 2 minutes to install and it was only $14. Is the MECS pump the one that you check by turning the ignition to "ON" (without starting it) and listen for it under the radiator? Will most standard OBDII readers be able to check for these other problems?

Also, unrelated to the MPG issue...when she hits the button on her remote to unlock the doors there is a fairly loud clicking noise that comes from the engine bay, any idea what that might be?
Yeah, the fueleconomy.gov website is a great tool, especially since it provides all the mpg estimates using the updated 2008 test procedure results for all older cars too. You'll notice most pre-08 cars for sale online still show the older mpg rating system #s since they're higher.

I've been told the MECS pump may or may not be on constantly with the key in the 'on' position, considering you have an 06 (i've been told they cycle on/off on the older models --- I have an 08 that is always on, humming away).

Most generic code readers won't read Ford-specific codes, which is why I'm likely getting the ScanGauge II discussed here frequently. It can be programmed to read those Ford-specific codes, though there are other more expensive options, like AutoEnginuity's scan tool, with full Ford expansion package, sold separately (http://www.autoenginuity.com/order.html).

I've honestly never heard any loud clicking noise up front when using the remote for door locks. I assume the doors still open and close normally.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:36 AM
Cheapskate

Originally Posted by ScuubyT
I can get 28MPG easily with my 2006 AWD in mixed driving, without major changes in driving habits. If I work at it (but without hypermiling techniques such as pulse & glide), I get about 30.

24 does seem a bit low. How would you characterize your girlfriend's driving style? Is she aggressive? Fast starting from stops?

Old 09-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Cheapskate

Originally Posted by 84GT Ragtop
I've been told the MECS pump may or may not be on constantly with the key in the 'on' position, considering you have an 06 (i've been told they cycle on/off on the older models --- I have an 08 that is always on, humming away).
The stock MECS pump with the 2006 did indeed cycle. The replacement one is the same as the 2008+ model and runs continuously. It's trivial to tell which you have; just look at it (behind the front bumper). If it has a largish cylinder, about the size of a half-height Pringles can, you have the original pump.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Enthusiast

Does the pump cycle often? In other words, if I sit there for a minute and listen should I hear it come on at some point?

She is a very calm driver. I know she doesn't use any hypermiling techniques, but other than that she drives about as "mileage conscious" as anyone.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Enthusiast

I'm also new to hybrids and that's the question I need an answer.. Any help for this question with a simple word (as I'm totally nobe for mechanical being..)???
Thanks...

Old 09-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

As I understand it for 2007, the original and updated MECS pumps operate continuously. The connector (C1466) to the pump has only two conductors, Pin 1 "Ground" and Pin 2 "Motor electronics coolant pump relay output". There's no provision for one pump to operate continuously and the other to cycle. Both my original pump and replacement pump run continuously.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by econoline
As I understand it for 2007, the original and updated MECS pumps operate continuously. The connector (C1466) to the pump has only two conductors, Pin 1 "Ground" and Pin 2 "Motor electronics coolant pump relay output". There's no provision for one pump to operate continuously and the other to cycle. Both my original pump and replacement pump run continuously.
So what you're saying is that if the car came with a continuously operating pump, then it will always have a continuously opertaing pump? And vice-versa?

Quick Reply: New To Hybrids - Have a couple questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands