"New" Mercury Mariner owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 07:46 AM
Enthusiast
Default "New" Mercury Mariner owner

I'm picking up a 2006 MMH this afternoon, 79000 miles. I think I got a good deal on it. I just would like some tips as to what I can/should do over the next few months to maximum my mileage/enjoyment. My primary reason of buying a hybrid was that I'll be using it for delivering newspapers. My Pontiac Grand Prix just wasn't cutting it. I wanted more room and better mileage.

A few things I'm considering as immediate replacements/upgrades, and I'd like to get some thoughts.

It has the factory single disc CD player, and I think it had the SAT button. I'd like to add a AUX in for my MP3 player. A PIE adapter should be the easiest way to go?

I've put K&N filters in all my other vehicles, some for performance, others just because I hate changing them. It's about $40 for one, should I get one? How about the battery air filter one as well? Cabin air filter I'll go the standard route.

Recommended tires? I'm going to need a pair shortly.

Recommended brakes? I had been using Advance Auto Silver level pads, but my car went through them so fast. I've upgraded to Gold, but am considering the ceramics. Is there a particular type I should avoid?

I'll probably also need rotors and a 12V battery, as they all look to be factory originals.

Oil was changed about 1000 miles ago, but I'll probably still change it myself with what I know is in it. I usually purchase whatever the auto parts stores have for their oil change special in a full synthetic. I had an F150 years ago, so I believe it's 5W-20, partial synthetic that's recommended by Ford.

I saw there's a Haynes manual, but it doesn't include Hybrid specific stuff. I am a DIY for some things, like brakes, oil, spark plugs, etc. Will that book be worth it, or is there a hybrid specific one? Or should I not even bother and just visit internet forums?

If there's anything I missed, let me know!

Old 02-15-2013, 06:55 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: "New" Mercury Mariner owner

Brakes tend to last about 100,000 miles, so I would go with the most stopping power, because they'll all last long since you're not using the mechanical brakes much.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

If money is not an issue then-
Upgrades:
1. Dump the stock audio system including speakers and subwoofer. Replace with a double din headunit and add sound deadening at the floor-doors and cabin area
2. Obtain a scanguage which will provide information on the hybrid operation of the vehicle
3. Install four Michelin Latitude Tour tires which provide a low rolling resistance and noise experience.
4. Mobil 1 0W20 motor oil can be found at Walmart and similiar stores
5. Stick with the MotorCraft 12V battery as other options may not fit correctly
6. Check e-bay to find the Ford Workshop manual which is what the service departments use. It might be also on a DVD disc

Good luck with your vehicle.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk24
If money is not an issue then-
Upgrades:
1. Dump the stock audio system including speakers and subwoofer. Replace with a double din headunit and add sound deadening at the floor-doors and cabin area
2. Obtain a scanguage which will provide information on the hybrid operation of the vehicle
3. Install four Michelin Latitude Tour tires which provide a low rolling resistance and noise experience.
4. Mobil 1 0W20 motor oil can be found at Walmart and similiar stores As is Mobil 1 5W-20
5. Stick with the MotorCraft 12V battery as other options may not fit correctly Optima Red Top 35 fits fine
6. Check e-bay to find the Ford Workshop manual which is what the service departments use. It might be also on a DVD disc

Good luck with your vehicle.
OP:
I purchased EBC slotted rotors and pads. The vehicle certainly didn't need them, but I liked the appearance of the rotors (I painted my calipers at the same time) and the EBC pads don't dust.

I purchased the K&N air filter and modified a K&N #YA-1602-U for a permanent hybrid batter filter. See this thread for more info:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...80/index3.html

Last edited by GatorJ; 02-16-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GatorJ
OP:
I purchased EBC slotted rotors and pads. The vehicle certainly didn't need them, but I liked the appearance of the rotors (I painted my calipers at the same time) and the EBC pads don't dust.

I purchased the K&N air filter and modified a K&N #YA-1602-U for a permanent hybrid batter filter. See this thread for more info:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...80/index3.html
There’s no way to eliminate brake dust entirely because brake pads are designed to wear. If they didn’t, they’d chew up the rotors. Look that up yourselve if you care to.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:08 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the tips. I've got a Scan Gauge on order. I eat tires when delivering newspapers, so I want to see how I do with what's on there now before springing for better tires. When it's due for an oil change, I'll take it into a shop that I trust and have them go over the car really well, better than I can, and tell me the situation on brakes and rotors. K&N filter is going to be ordered as well.

Stereo would be the last upgrade I make. I had a radio shop pull it out, and it looks like there's the cable for speakers and power, and one other one. That's 20 pin connector I believe. So there is a PIE option available. I'd rather spend the $60-$70 on that instead of going for a new stereo and speakers. I don't think there's a subwoofer that I can upgrade. For now I've got a $5 FM modulator until I figure out what to do.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
There’s no way to eliminate brake dust entirely because brake pads are designed to wear. If they didn’t, they’d chew up the rotors. Look that up yourselve if you care to.
Of course the pads dust, but with regen, it is far less found on the FEH unless you do a lot of hard braking. In gator's case with slotted rotors, I'm sure the pads are of very good quality and it doesn't show as much as the stock set-up. The slotted rotors also stay cooler.

I don't wash my FEH because of increased MPG, and still have no signs of brake dust on my front wheels. The only time I use my brake pads and rear shoes is emergency heavy braking and speeds below 6mph. Regen stops at 6mph, so that's all I need for braking in most cases.

When I see brake dust on wheels, that tells me the driver is driving fast and uses heavy braking between car washes.

Now that Ford is using DFSO (fuel-cut), the transmissions holds the idle of the engine with the wheels turning. It feels like regen a little, because it's slowing down the vehicle faster than a vehicle without DFSO. I get very little dust on my '11 Explorer wheels also. I keep the Explorer washed because it is more aero than my FEH.

GaryG

Old 02-16-2013, 05:41 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GaryG
Of course the pads dust, but with regen, it is far less found on the FEH unless you do a lot of hard braking. In gator's case with slotted rotors, I'm sure the pads are of very good quality and it doesn't show as much as the stock set-up. The slotted rotors also stay cooler.

I don't wash my FEH because of increased MPG, and still have no signs of brake dust on my front wheels. The only time I use my brake pads and rear shoes is emergency heavy braking and speeds below 6mph. Regen stops at 6mph, so that's all I need for braking in most cases.

When I see brake dust on wheels, that tells me the driver is driving fast and uses heavy braking between car washes.

Now that Ford is using DFSO (fuel-cut), the transmissions holds the idle of the engine with the wheels turning. It feels like regen a little, because it's slowing down the vehicle faster than a vehicle without DFSO. I get very little dust on my '11 Explorer wheels also. I keep the Explorer washed because it is more aero than my FEH.

GaryG
The statement was about brake dust not driving technigue.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wptski
There’s no way to eliminate brake dust entirely because brake pads are designed to wear. If they didn’t, they’d chew up the rotors. Look that up yourselve (sic) if you care to.

Thank you, Captain Obvious. Compared to the stock pads, the EBCs don't dust. Compared to zero dust, the EBCs leave dust. Happy?

Last edited by GatorJ; 02-16-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by GatorJ
Are you serious? Compared to the stock pads, the EBCs don't dust. Compared to zero dust, the EBCs leave dust. Happy?
Bill doesn't get it! Your statements are correct in general, but he has to make a reason to post on this site. Here is what is stated about EBC's pads:

EBC Brake Pads

EBC Brake Pads are ahead of their time because they use a unique Aramid fibre material that puts it's competitors cheap steel fibre bases to shame. The use of Aramid fibres deliver a higher degree of flexibility in compound design, this enables EBC Brakes to produce a quiet and long lasting range of pad compounds that can improve stopping distance, reduce rotor wear and thereby greatly reduce brake dust. Also all of the EBC Brake Rotors are given a corrosion resistant powder coat finish. This finish not only resists corrosion but it also helps prevent water from accumulating inside the pad. The Picture to the right shows EBC Greenstuff Pads getting the powder coat applied.

You stated the right stuff, and Bill took a cheap shot.

GaryG

Quick Reply: "New" Mercury Mariner owner

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands