New Problem - Clunk and ABS lite flash just before stop

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:25 AM
Feral Engineer
Default New Problem - Clunk and ABS lite flash just before stop

My 2007 FEH just started doing a new trick. As I stop on a dry, smooth surface it generates a light clunk (audible and tactile) just before the vehicle stops. The yellow ABS light also flashes on momentarily. It seems to be more pronounced on a fast stop. It is almost as if it thinks it hit a small slippery spot, although it did not. Has anyone else experienced this? Early sign of the tone ring issue?

Old 07-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: New Problem - Clunk and ABS lite flash just before stop

Hi, I had a similar issue with my 2008 FEH. The dealer found a cracked tone ring. There is a tone ring installed at each axle, it has "teeth" that a sensor counts to determine if one wheel has stopped turning for ABS.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I had the same symptoms and repair job done in April.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:06 AM
Feral Engineer

Thanks. I'm out of warranty and so the repair is on me. I understand that the tone ring is available as a stand alone item. Anyone recall the source?

Old 07-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Un-Enthusiast

The vibrator ring installed cost be $600+ at a dealership

Old 07-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Feral Engineer

I think I can just install the ring for about $40. $600 for a cracked ring is obscene.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Feral Engineer
Default UPDATE: New Problem - Clunk and ABS lite flash just before stop

I finally got off my butt and checked. The right front tone ring is cracked. I epoxied it for now and will order one from Rock Auto.

What a stupid design.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

In looking at Rock Auto, they show the tone ring for 2008, but not for 2009. Does anybody know if they eliminated this part on the 2009 model?

Old 09-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: UPDATE: New Problem - Clunk and ABS lite flash just before stop

Originally Posted by travelover
I finally got off my butt and checked. The right front tone ring is cracked. I epoxied it for now and will order one from Rock Auto.

What a stupid design.
I had to have one tone ring replaced last month. If you have a 4WD model, the key is that both the brake and the "4WD disabled" warnings appear......along with the shutter as the truck employs ABS when it is not needed, etc. Both systems use the speed signals from the 4 tone rings to control ABS and 4WD operations. I'm sure there is still some component doing this job on the newer FEHs.

My Ford Tech who has worked on the hybrids since they hit the market..........says the front tone rings were a different design (material?) than the rear tone rings. I forgot to ask if the replacements were redesigned parts since this has been a common problem. My drivers side front wheel tone ring cracked....the Ford diagnostic tool can determine which signal (wheel) is faulty, which helps with finding the crack. If the crack is small the symptom can vary with temperature. Unnoticeable at startup (cold), worse as the ring warms up and expands.

He says that replacing the rear tone rings is difficult because on 4WD you have more axle disassy/reassy to deal with - or something like that.

Last edited by glennb; 12-31-2010 at 05:52 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: New Problem - Clunk and ABS lite flash just before stop

Had the same clunk on my 2007 MMP 4WD. Have had both front tone rings replaced fortunately under ESP Warranty, but today one in back broke and the dealer said around $250 parts and labor since the back is more labor intensive due to 4WD (warranty ran out by 3500 miles) Good reputible Ford dealer that I have been using for years, so I trust this price.

Attached Thumbnails New Problem - Clunk and ABS lite flash just before stop-07mariner_base_lgttunclrmet.jpg  

Quick Reply: New Problem - Clunk and ABS lite flash just before stop

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands