new Scanguage software available

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 07:12 AM
Default Re: new Scanguage software available

Originally Posted by TeeSter
In inferred value means there isn't actually a sensor for that value. For example it would mean that there is no sensor in the catalytic converter (there isn't... or there would be wires leading to it when the Tuffy guy replaces it). However the temperature of the engine can be used to calculate/estimate the temperature of the catalyst via a mathematical model. Thats where the CAT temp comes from... I think they use the Water Temp.
It is my understanding that the coolant temperature is inferred from the head temperature sensor and the PCM calculates that reading. The same thing is done with the first and last heated oxygen sensors by the PCM. The CAT temp is inferred as the gases are broke down by heat and those sensors measure before and after gases travel through the CAT converter. The center sensor of the three is not part of the calculation from the PCM according to the manual.

As far as the OD, years ago there was a gear hooked to a cable that turned in the transmission. More than likely sensors from the wheels, crankshaft and transmission output shaft are used by the PCM to determine OD readings. My guess is this information could also be programmed as a gauge for the SG11, but someone like Carl might can answer how that's done. Since there are concerns about OD tampering, there may be safe guards to prevent getting this information or changing it.

GaryG

Old 10-12-2007, 07:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
It is my understanding that the coolant temperature is inferred from the head temperature sensor and the PCM calculates that reading. The same thing is done with the first and last heated oxygen sensors by the PCM. The CAT temp is inferred as the gases are broke down by heat and those sensors measure before and after gases travel through the CAT converter. The center sensor of the three is not part of the calculation from the PCM according to the manual.
You've always had access to more info than I do. So I'll defer to you on where the number comes from naturally.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:59 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

My guess is this information could also be programmed as a gauge for the SG11, but someone like Carl might can answer how that's done. Since there are concerns about OD tampering, there may be safe guards to prevent getting this information or changing it.
The info is calculated from the output speed sensor, which is what replaced the gear and cable. Some fords the sensor is located on the differential and is also used for the anti-lock brake system. I dont know if the mileage is on the OBDII side but you can access it with scan tools like snap-on's modis in the instrument cluster diagnostics. It is not inferred. I think it is stored in the PCM.

The mileage display on allot of Ford trucks and SUVs have a circuit board problem that causes the display not to light, you can use a flashlight sometimes and see the mileage when it finally goes dark and does not come back, the mileage will still be calculated and stored in the PCM.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
The mileage display on allot of Ford trucks and SUVs have a circuit board problem that causes the display not to light, you can use a flashlight sometimes and see the mileage when it finally goes dark and does not come back, the mileage will still be calculated and stored in the PCM.
That's cool, it now out of Ford & Ext warrenties, almost exempt on mileage for state title transfers, and I plan on keeping it until I plant it in the back yard anyway. So not something I planned on fixing, but nice to know if for some stange reason it quit, there was another way of reading it.

BTW got to play with the SG a little today, so far so good. Programed SOC & a few other things, and all worked except Battery Temp was blank. Also Traction Battery Voltage only showed around 82 for my 6 mile trip today. SOC stayed between 50-56 (I do not get to do a lot of EV'ing usually)

Now to learn these 3 letter codes, and how to use them to try to improve even more. I do love the instant MPG reading, you can instantaly see by fake shifting how much improvement you can get!

I don't understand average MPG then. For an example of 10 min drive, 5+ min were 40+ MPG, get average is 32. The means the other 5 min had to be worse than 30- to average 32. I didn't see it dip below 30 except for the few seconds to accelerate from a dead stop.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

A few seconds of 0 MPG at a stop will "cancel out" 5 minutes of 40 MPG to give you an "average" of 32.

Or to re-phrase, 0 MPG is 32 units away from your "average" and
40 MPG is only 8 units away from your "average".

Thus, even a short period of 0 MPG carries about 4 times more effect (weight) on your "score" than 40 MPG.

Does that help?
-John

Originally Posted by 08hybridok

I don't understand average MPG then. For an example of 10 min drive, 5+ min were 40+ MPG, get average is 32. The means the other 5 min had to be worse than 30- to average 32. I didn't see it dip below 30 except for the few seconds to accelerate from a dead stop.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:59 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08hybridok

BTW got to play with the SG a little today, so far so good. Programed SOC & a few other things, and all worked except Battery Temp was blank. Also Traction Battery Voltage only showed around 82 for my 6 mile trip today. SOC stayed between 50-56 (I do not get to do a lot of EV'ing usually)
If battery temp was blank and HV voltage was in the 75-90 range, chances are you have coded the TXD portion incorrectly. The first four characters should be 0745. If they are 07E0 or 07E1 then you would see what you are seeing. Perhaps the 08 is different, if so we need 08 owners to verify everything that works or doesn't.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by DesertDog
If battery temp was blank and HV voltage was in the 75-90 range, chances are you have coded the TXD portion incorrectly. The first four characters should be 0745. If they are 07E0 or 07E1 then you would see what you are seeing. Perhaps the 08 is different, if so we need 08 owners to verify everything that works or doesn't.
I just re confirmed fo rthe 3rd time I do have the exact #'s from the post #7 in this thread. Batt Voltage reads around 80's and Batt temp is blank. SoC stays in 48-56 range.

If you need testers to try different #'s on, just tell me what to do & I can report back. I might not understand much, but I can follow instructions pretty well. Might even learn a thing or 2

Old 10-15-2007, 05:35 AM
Enthusiast

I am seeing the exact same thing - traction battery voltage around 80 +/- most all of the time and SOC between 41 and 60 almost always. Coming down a mountain pass the SOC got up to 66 max. I got the scangauge about one week ago, but I had the recall done before that. I wonder if the resistor added during the recall has recalibrated the voltage level signal from the battery somehow? By the way, thanks for the code work Desert Dog. Great Work! Is there any literature explaining the meaning of the data entered into the Scangauge anywhere?

Old 10-15-2007, 09:29 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fm606713
I am seeing the exact same thing - traction battery voltage around 80 +/- most all of the time and SOC between 41 and 60 almost always. Coming down a mountain pass the SOC got up to 66 max. I got the scangauge about one week ago, but I had the recall done before that. I wonder if the resistor added during the recall has recalibrated the voltage level signal from the battery somehow? By the way, thanks for the code work Desert Dog. Great Work! Is there any literature explaining the meaning of the data entered into the Scangauge anywhere?
Wow, I've never had my SoC much above 60%. That would have made for a nice EV stretch...
I have changed the coding for the HV battery so that it should work for all years. Yours is the first 05 I've heard of that read incorrectly for it, though.

The maximum charge/discharge xgauges are just a guess. I assumed that the units are amps and the scaling is 0.5. It is possible, however, that the units are watts/kW with different scaling. At any rate, I see the maximum charge go to zero quite frequently, at which point there is no regen. This usually happens right before warm-up to allow EV is reached, and happens again for awhile after that. Interested to know if anyone else sees this. It is disconcerting to lose regen braking.....

Last edited by DesertDog; 10-15-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:34 AM
Enthusiast

The maximum charge/discharge xgauges are just a guess. I assumed that the units are amps and the scaling is 0.5. It is possible, however, that the units are watts/kW with different scaling. At any rate, I see the maximum charge go to zero quite frequently, at which poit there is no regen. This usually happens right before warm-up to allow EV is reached, and happens again for awhile after that. Interested to know if anyone else sees this. It is disconcerting to lose regen braking.....[/quote]

I have found that the Max-D sits at 74 most of the time and the Max-C sits at 57 most of the time. However, when the SOC approaches 60 (other conditions cause the Max-C to decrease also) the Max-C approaches zero.

I have found Max-C useful when going down a long hill. When it starts falling, I ease up on the braking until the Max-C increases allowing for more of a charge. I don't know for sure, but I think this may be a more optimum way of driving... Instead of dissipating energy to the brake pads when you don't have to, ease off the brakes to allow the Max-C to increase. As for other reasons for the Max-C to decrease, I can correlate it to the temperature. When it is cold, it seems that the Max-C decreases sooner under the same driving route than for warmer temps.

Again, DesertDog, thanks for your sleuthing of these codes. Where do you get the info?

Quick Reply: new Scanguage software available

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands