Newbie: Best year & reasons 05-08 FEH?

Old 04-18-2011, 07:09 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Newbie: Best year & reasons 05-08 FEH?

Thank you all very much for your replies and reasonings. I now have some idea what to look for, and some things to ponder.

My Jeep had the ABS light come on this past week, and last night a check engine light. The ABS unit will need replacing (diagnosed now) and the CE is "EVAP large leak" so perhaps a gas cap or split hose. I am just thinking that it's time to clean it up and move on. The FEH is still my #1 choice for replacement, even 5 years later. No other vehicle on the market has everything I want:

- Good mileage
- Similar form factor to the jeep (5 seats, cargo, similar shape etc)
- AWD
- Pop up rear glass (This is what excludes the CRV and Highlander)
- Ability to occasionally tow 2000 lbs a few miles (I know, officially the FEH is limited etc, but seems in practice to have no issue with 2000lbs for short distances. I never go more than 10 miles)

If there were more 4-cyl non Hybrid escapes, particularly ones with decent trim levels, then that would be a possibility also. But I see very few, even fewer with AWD, and none with any kind of upscale trim. At least around here.