newbie needs help with getting the most from vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 07:02 AM
newb to hybrids
Talking newbie needs help with getting the most from vehicle

Hello all. I am totally new to the hybrid scene(drove a lifted jeep cherokee before that got a cool 12 mpg) I have been reading in different forums about all the techniques and styles to get better mpg. It all makes me feel pretty dumb and I consider myself father mechanically inclined. It is kinda overwhelming I have trouble following along, it seems folks use "hybrid language" I guess I need a "for dumb dummies" guide . Hoping someone can point me towards a link or give me a good first step towards fuel efficiency. My goal would eventually be to be able to master all techniques so it becomes a natural fluid thing when I drive. Love the idea of "sticking it to big oil" as one person posted also the smaller carbon footprint is a plus. I was also looking for a clinic or something like that in my area which is Lancaster Pa. Any help would float my boat.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator
Default Re: newbie needs help with getting the most from vehicle

Try taking a look at this thread. Is it in the Camry section but the tips will apply to your Escape just as well as the systems operate almost the same.

Driving tips

Old 03-05-2014, 03:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Look for GaryG posts as he is the Escape Hybrid hypermiling champion. However, he lives in Florida and you live where it is a lot colder and your driving conditions are different. Don't expect the mileage he obtains.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:23 AM
Eager Novice Enthusiast

Here are Gary's bet tips for the '06. They work very well for me from April to November. In the cold months, a grill block helps, but I still see about 9% reduction (drops from 40 to 35 MPGs on average). The 4x4 is going to make your numbers lower, but with practice you should still be able to more than double the good old cherokee

Good luck!