Newbie questions about Ford Escape

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 06:30 AM
Tinkerer
Default Newbie questions about Ford Escape

First, let me thank you for allowing me to join your group. My question is about the '06 Escape I purchased. The transmission is from Japan - who made it? Toyota uses a CVT transmission in the Prius and Highlander, is that where Ford got these? Are they Toyota transmissins? How about the HEV technology and hardware - are they Ford originals or did they buy that too? I am very interested in going PHEV with my Escape. Does anyone have an idea when that will be available? Will the Prius PHEV technology be compatable with the Escape?

Thanks for the info,

Killa'

Old 01-09-2006, 12:05 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: Newbie questions about Ford Escape

I was sure I had something about this in the FAQ, after checking it, I don't. How interesting.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you're wrong there's nothing foreign designed on the FEH.

The FEH was developed by Ford Engineers in Dearborn, Michigan. The technology is similar, but it is not from Toyota. The patent leasing which you may have heard about is something that happens all the time in the auto industry, and has nothing to do with "borrowed" technology; instead it's more of a "if you design something that's like ours, we won't sue." Each and every component, from the transmission to the battery software is Ford original product, designed from scratch by Ford engineers, they didn't base or use anything from Toyota or any other company. Everything on the FEH is original and thoroughly tested for longevity and performance.

PHEV is not a route that Ford is interested in going, after all the testing they've done, at least not at this junction. Their advice is to get over the "Plug in Envy".

No, the Prius PHEV won't be compatable with the Escape.

Boy, I almost sound like a Ford mouthpiece...

Old 01-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Tinkerer

Pravus: Thanks for the info - sounds real "company line." If Ford's advice is to "get over the plug-in-envy," then they at least acknowledge that it exists and that there might be a market for it out there. I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in PHEV. What about flexible fuel HEV's. If one point of HEV's is reduced dependence on foreign oil, why didn't Ford make their HEV's FFV's as well? Or are they?

Killa'

Old 01-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Patent leasing happens in every industry. Think of the multiple patents on the computer this is written on .. the operating software, hardware, CRT and so on.
Here's an old example. A company once known as the Radio Corporation of America back in the mid-1930's held most of the key patents on electronic television. However, RCA couldn't proceed to produce for public consumption until they were able to license patents on similar yet more advanced technology generated by one smart farm boy from Utah, Philo T. Farnsworth ... After World War II, RCA's patents were leased by a couple of small Japanese companies named Japan Victor Corp. and Sony. Hmmmmm.
So even though Ford had to license patents, the machinery within the Escape were designed by Ford engineers. Yes, certain components (the transmission, the battery pack) are produced by companies other than Ford (Aisin for the tranny, Sanyo for the batteries) but what car has parts totally built by one company these days. Even the Model T had parts NOT built by Ford.

Last edited by dwmiller438; 01-09-2006 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Farnsworth is from Utah sted Idaho.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast
Smile Re: Newbie questions about Ford Escape

Hi Ross -
When Pravus (Rich) said "I was sure I had something about this in the FAQ, after checking it, I don't. How interesting." He was probably mad at himself, and to modest, for missing that one FAQ. Rich went above and beyond the call of duty for gathering via gleaning from this total forum on FEHs to put together the FAQs - Mr. Perfection.
I saw this post earlier today and I also know that somewhere here, or I could have put it on the Yahoo site, about what Rich and dwmiller438 said about the reason you hear about Ford obtaining patents from Toyota.
Ford was looking into the future, since the technology they themselves had come-up with was ‘so’ close to Toyota’s they wanted to quash any litigation over infringements of existing patents Toyota before hand.

On your other question -

”why didn't Ford make their HEV's FFV's as well? Or are they?”

I found this on the Ford site that kind of answers your question:

Copied from the Ford News/Events web page

"Ford Motor Company and other automakers are working on long-term research projects to someday make practical hydrogen-powered vehicles that will not produce any greenhouse emissions. In addition to the Escape Hybrid, PZEV Focus and Focus Diesel being produced today, Ford has developed a Focus hydrogen internal combustion engine (H2ICE), a hydrogen hybrid research vehicle (H²RV) and a Focus Fuel Cell Vehicle (FCV) that is operating in demonstration fleets in the U.S. and Canada. Ford is the only automaker with such a full-range of production vehicles and research efforts intended to move society to a hydrogen-powered future."

They are at work trying to push the envelope on FE. I am not really sure that Rich isn’t really a Ford Undercover agent. Just kidding – he is just - - - well Pravus!

Welcome to the group Ross - a great bunch of guys here willing to help and share with others.

Old 01-10-2006, 05:33 AM
Enthusiast

For those that are interested, here is where you can find a little more of the history about the Escape's hybrid transaxle:

http://www.auto-careers.org/ford_esc...made_by_ai.htm

Old 01-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by VietVet'67
Hi Ross -
When Pravus (Rich) said "I was sure I had something about this in the FAQ, after checking it, I don't. How interesting." He was probably mad at himself, and to modest, for missing that one FAQ. Rich went above and beyond the call of duty for gathering via gleaning from this total forum on FEHs to put together the FAQs - Mr. Perfection.

Well thank you, you're absolutely correct; though I don't think of myself as Mr. Perfection. I was positive that I had something about it in the FAQ section 1, and was just going to post the answer here, only to find to my dismay that I didn't.

I saw this post earlier today and I also know that somewhere here, or I could have put it on the Yahoo site, about what Rich and dwmiller438 said about the reason you hear about Ford obtaining patents from Toyota.
Ford was looking into the future, since the technology they themselves had come-up with was ‘so’ close to Toyota’s they wanted to quash any litigation over infringements of existing patents Toyota before hand.
This was pretty extensively discussed at the FEH Dearborn Experience, in fact there's something about Toyota getting one for the braking system from Ford.

On your other question -

”why didn't Ford make their HEV's FFV's as well? Or are they?”

I found this on the Ford site that kind of answers your question:

Copied from the Ford News/Events web page

"Ford Motor Company and other automakers are working on long-term research projects to someday make practical hydrogen-powered vehicles that will not produce any greenhouse emissions. In addition to the Escape Hybrid, PZEV Focus and Focus Diesel being produced today, Ford has developed a Focus hydrogen internal combustion engine (H2ICE), a hydrogen hybrid research vehicle (H²RV) and a Focus Fuel Cell Vehicle (FCV) that is operating in demonstration fleets in the U.S. and Canada. Ford is the only automaker with such a full-range of production vehicles and research efforts intended to move society to a hydrogen-powered future."
Why there isn't a FFV Hybrid, I'm at a loss. I would think that it would be the natural next step (And that an ethanol hybrid would be a fantastic vehicle), though Ford is putting out a number of FFV on the road right now.

There has been a mention of running existing hybrids on E85 here on the boards, and someone said that other than some knocking, that it seemed to run just fine. (Though I think that was a Prius that they owned.)

They are at work trying to push the envelope on FE. I am not really sure that Rich isn’t really a Ford Undercover agent. Just kidding – he is just - - - well Pravus!

Welcome to the group Ross - a great bunch of guys here willing to help and share with others.

LOL, you're becoming my favorite poster.

If I were really a Ford undercover agent, I'd like to think I'd be making more money. (So Ford, if you want an undercover agent, and you're willing to pay for one, message me!)