No moonroof deflector with Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Enthusiast
Question No moonroof deflector with Navigation

We just purchased a new 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid. We're really enjoying the vehicle although I have a number of questions to which I'm hoping to get answers. All in good time.

Our Escape Hybrid has a power sliding moonroof. We have had power sliding moonroofs on other vehicles and have installed wind deflectors on those units. We went to our dealer looking for a wind deflector yesterday and were told that, for vehicles with the navigation system, the moonroof wind deflector was not an option.

HUH????

What could one thing possibly have to do with the other? The only thing I was able to think of is that maybe the antenna for the nav system is in the leading edge of the moonroof. I looked and there is a ridge that I suppose COULD be where the GPS antenna is located.

Here's the thing. The PS moonroof and the nav system come as a bundle - you can't get one without the other (at least on the '07). So, if they actually sell a moonroof deflector you can't use it and if you can use it, you don't have a moonroof, so you don't need it.

So am I missing something or is this really and brain dead as it seems?

Old 04-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Default Re: No moonroof deflector with Navigation

Originally Posted by MrBigDog2U
We just purchased a new 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid. We're really enjoying the vehicle although I have a number of questions to which I'm hoping to get answers. All in good time.

Our Escape Hybrid has a power sliding moonroof. We have had power sliding moonroofs on other vehicles and have installed wind deflectors on those units. We went to our dealer looking for a wind deflector yesterday and were told that, for vehicles with the navigation system, the moonroof wind deflector was not an option.

HUH????

What could one thing possibly have to do with the other? The only thing I was able to think of is that maybe the antenna for the nav system is in the leading edge of the moonroof. I looked and there is a ridge that I suppose COULD be where the GPS antenna is located.

Here's the thing. The PS moonroof and the nav system come as a bundle - you can't get one without the other (at least on the '07). So, if they actually sell a moonroof deflector you can't use it and if you can use it, you don't have a moonroof, so you don't need it.

So am I missing something or is this really and brain dead as it seems?
The GPS antenna was mounted behind the Nav Sys on the '05 & '06, and I don't think they changed it on the '07 models. More than likely the moonroof and Nav sys was just an assembly line requirement and has nothing to do with each other.

GaryG

Old 04-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You can get an aftermarket deflector and it should cause no problems whatsoever that I can think of....

Old 04-01-2007, 06:32 PM

That is an absolutely retarded claim. A piece of plastic mounted to the roof could not possibly affect it in any way. The only thing I can think of is that many vehicles have the GPS "sharkfin" antennas mounted in the front along the roofline, and perhaps in those vehicles the antenna would be in the way of where the deflector would be mounted. That is not the case with the Escape/Mariners. On the previous models, the antenna for the GPS was actually mounted inside the dash up by the windshield - I seriously doubt they would change the location for the 07 especially when they were about to introduce a totally redesigned model.

If you want a deflector, go buy an aftermarket one and mount it yourself. Just keep in mind that you are adding additional drag and will reduce your fuel economy. Yes, probably only a little bit but what are the gains of the deflector?

Old 04-02-2007, 01:05 AM

The 06 & 07 FEH are virtually identical.

My 06 came with factory NAV & moonroof & I installed a deflector last week with no problem whatever.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l6.../Escape004.jpg

~John

Old 04-02-2007, 08:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

John - Your FEH is Exactly what I want our black '07 to look like. I like everything you have done to the exterior. What brand is the front bully bar?

Old 04-02-2007, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jerry&Natalie
What brand is the front bully bar?
That is a Westin Safari Bar & a set of 4.5" Westin driving lights.

~John

Old 04-02-2007, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jerry&Natalie
John - Your FEH is Exactly what I want our black '07 to look like. I like everything you have done to the exterior. What brand is the front bully bar?
Incidentally... if you do like what John's done... you'll note that at least for the '06's Ford claims the side step bars don't work on the hybrid.

What you'll find though is that the mounting holes are there, and they fit no problem. I have them on mine. Their concern might be that the last mounting bolt on the passenger side is shared with the cover that goes over the HV wires. Perhaps they are concerned someone would do something they shouldn't while removing that bolt or that in an accident something might happen... I don't know. I took the bolt out, put on the step bar and put the bolt back it.... the shield stays right in place. If an accident is a "danger" it would seem the inertial switch should turn everything off anyway so I don't personally see the danger, but maybe I'm missing something.

The step bars from Ford in my opinion look the best because they are shaped right into the side flaring... however they do stick out far enought to hit the back of your thigh when you get out which is kind of annoying. (I tend not to use them getting in myself.... they are more there for elderly grandparents)

Old 04-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmorton10
My 06 came with factory NAV & moonroof & I installed a deflector last week with no problem whatever.
Is that the Ford deflector or an aftermarket?

Old 04-03-2007, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by MrBigDog2U
Is that the Ford deflector or an aftermarket?

It is a BeneVento deflector, but the Ford one would have worked also.

~John