Non-Hybrid Problem: Rear Windshield Wiper

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 09:44 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Non-Hybrid Problem: Rear Windshield Wiper

Hey all,

Recently I noticed after the round of snows and rains, that my rear windshield wiper wasn't doing a very good job. I didn't think too much about it, and picked up a replacement blade; in nearly 2 years, it hadn't been changed. Except the problem is still there. The blade wipes fine at both ends of it's "trail", yet fails to clear away the apex middle part of its swipe. I don't know if the arm got bent or if there's s a spring or something that's losing tension, but it looks like I'm going to have to get it addressed.

Anyone else have this problem? (I'm guessing this is a Northern owners problem.)

Old 04-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Hybrid Lover
Default Re: Non-Hybrid Problem: Rear Windshield Wiper

I have always had this problem on my NON hybrid 2002 Escape. It's also frustrating that I can't find the replacement blade anywhere but the dealer. But I have manually bent the arm a few times to get better coverage in the middle of the blade.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Little Man Hybrid
I have always had this problem on my NON hybrid 2002 Escape. It's also frustrating that I can't find the replacement blade anywhere but the dealer. But I have manually bent the arm a few times to get better coverage in the middle of the blade.
They are available at NAPA and Meijer's around here.... Trico Exact-Fit. I think the number is 10-1 but I'm not sure about that.

There is nothing special about the wiper, its made by Trico for Ford, the connector is standard... Its just that no one stocks them. Even Bosch lists an Hind-Sight that should fit, but no one seems to stock the 10"

Old 04-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Right on the part number and OEM manufacturer.
No-one around me stocks them either.
I had to special order one... got here in 3 days ( $7.49 ) but that doesn't help those of us who need one on the spot.

Ford ( and maybe specifically the Escapes ) must be the only cars that take a 10" rear wiper. I could find 11" all over. ( and they do not substitute... I tried. )

Old 04-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Well, this was odd. I stopped by the service department, and showed them the problem. The guy tried to bend the arm, to no avail, then replaced the arm for me (He noted that the spring still seemed springy, but still wanted to replace it). That didn't fix the problem. He went and got a Ford blade, and it worked. He put on the old arm with the new blade and it worked.

He charged me $4 for it, and apologized for going through all that and waiting so long.

So, good as new, problem solved.