This is odd... Or is it???

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Question This is odd... Or is it???

When my FEH was new, I was pretty sure that input from the brake pedal would cancel out input from the go (gas) pedal. That is, if you press both at the same time, the brake overrides, and the gas is let off and just the brakes are applied.

I was wearing (large) snow shoes the other day. I thought my brakes were failing. But, inadvertently, I was pressing the brake and gas pedals at the same time. The car accelerated. Maybe it was a fluke? No!

Several more times in an empty parking lot, I tried applying both pedals at the same time. I could get the engine working against applied brakes, just like in a traditional car. I thought with "Drive by wire" this was not supposed to occur. Even in EV mode I could get positive torque ( acceleration ) with the brake pads applied.

Here's another oddity. I could get the gas engine to run at 750 RPM while doing this. Normally, the car's engine never runs less than 1000 RPM.

Anyone else care to experiment and see if this is an oddity or all FEH's do this?

Thanks. It was cold ( 25 degrees ) but not unusually cold.

P.S. no error codes, no warning messages of any kind.

Last edited by gpsman1; 01-23-2010 at 06:34 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: This is odd... Or is it???

I would have thought that with a hybrid the brake pedal would ALWAYS over-ride the gas pedal.

More STUPID engineering. I would like to say by Ford but until Monday I can't say, or not, if the Prius does the same thing

Old 01-25-2010, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by wwest
I would have thought that with a hybrid the brake pedal would ALWAYS over-ride the gas pedal.

More STUPID engineering. I would like to say by Ford but until Monday I can't say, or not, if the Prius does the same thing

Since the Prius hasn't been immune to Toyota's most recent "stuck accelerator" reports and Toyota just announced they are adding Brake Override programming to their cars, I expect you can add Toyota to the list.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...-New-Vehicles/

Old 01-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I tested this on my 07 and when you press both pedals, nothing happens. No revs either. I thought I remembered one of the early magazine reviews of the FEH mentioning this same behavior and their frustration at not being able to brake-torque the engine to get a good launch.

As I understand all vehicles' brakes should be able to hold under full throttle and this goes back several decades, even before 'unintended acceleration'...Maybe there is an SAE spec for this?

Old 01-25-2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by D-mac
I tested this on my 07 and when you press both pedals, nothing happens. No revs either. I thought I remembered one of the early magazine reviews of the FEH mentioning this same behavior and their frustration at not being able to brake-torque the engine to get a good launch.

As I understand all vehicles' brakes should be able to hold under full throttle and this goes back several decades, even before 'unintended acceleration'...Maybe there is an SAE spec for this?
I am of the belief, firm belief, that very few vehicles have brakes powerful enough to fully restrain them with the engine roaring at WOT. And I would guess that none have the ability at hwy speeds.

Another advantage to RWD, at least the front, more powerful, brakes can be used to LOCK the front wheels.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

After looking at this a little further, the brake performance spec is (DOT) FMVSS 135 for passenger vehicles. It's kind of an interesting read, as it has been updated for EVs and vehicles with regenerative braking.
From what I see, the braking performance standard is 215ft for successive 60mph-0mph stops. Also the parking brake has to hold on 20deg slopes for at least 5 mins.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:00 PM

I have not experienced either of the symptoms reported by GPSman1.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:30 PM

After looking at this a little further, the brake performance spec is (DOT) FMVSS 135 for passenger vehicles. It's kind of an interesting read, as it has been updated for EVs and vehicles with regenerative braking.
From what I see, the braking performance standard is 215ft for successive 60mph-0mph stops. Also the parking brake has to hold on 20deg slopes for at least 5 mins.
"..standard is 215ft.."

Provided the engine ISN'T still driving the (front) wheels.

"...20 deg slopes for 5 mins...."

Well, that certainly rules out the option of relying on the parking brake as a help in these events.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
When my FEH was new, I was pretty sure that input from the brake pedal would cancel out input from the go (gas) pedal. That is, if you press both at the same time, the brake overrides, and the gas is let off and just the brakes are applied.

I was wearing (large) snow shoes the other day. I thought my brakes were failing. But, inadvertently, I was pressing the brake and gas pedals at the same time. The car accelerated. Maybe it was a fluke? No!

Several more times in an empty parking lot, I tried applying both pedals at the same time. I could get the engine working against applied brakes, just like in a traditional car. I thought with "Drive by wire" this was not supposed to occur. Even in EV mode I could get positive torque ( acceleration ) with the brake pads applied.

Here's another oddity. I could get the gas engine to run at 750 RPM while doing this. Normally, the car's engine never runs less than 1000 RPM.

Anyone else care to experiment and see if this is an oddity or all FEH's do this?

Thanks. It was cold ( 25 degrees ) but not unusually cold.

P.S. no error codes, no warning messages of any kind.
I occasionally notice this when braking. My big foot will hit both the pedal and the brake at the same time, and the FEH tries to go forward. 2008 model.