OEM brake pads question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 01:43 PM
Enthusiast
Default OEM brake pads question

hi all, apparently the brake pads (on my 2006 ford escape hybrid) are down to almost nothing so i need my pads replaced (possibly rotors replaced, too?).

i don't know very much about cars but i figured buying OEM brake pads to take to a car shop might be a good idea, vs just using whatever the car shop uses. (i'm sure that there are non-OEM pads that are better, but i don't know enough to do a good job in selecting them.)

the problem is that if i go to

http://www.fordparts.com/

i see several options for brake pads, even after i specify my VIN to get pads particular to my SUV.

i see
(a) one option (part number 2001 (BRF-1047)) for the front "Brake Shoe or Disc Pad (front)"
(b) two options (part numbers 2200 (BRF-1055), 5L8Z-2200-AA) for the "Brake Shoe or Disc Pad (Rear)" and
(c) one option (part number 2V001 (NBR-1047-A)) for "Disc Brake Pad Standard Premium; High Level Service Design, w/ HEV Regenerative Brake System (Front)"

my main question is this - do i need the front pads that seems to have something to do with the HEV regenerative brake system (option (c))?
if so, there doesn't seem to be one for the rear pads with a similar HEV regenerative brake system option. does it not matter for the rear pads?

thanks in advance!

(ps i did search the forums but didn't see any similar question being asked.)

Old 03-30-2017, 07:41 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: OEM brake pads question

I realize you probably needed an answer a month ago, but it's a good question.
Looks to me like Ford specified a different compound for the FEH regenerative brakes. I suspect they are a softer pad that will heat up quicker, as they see so little actual use compared to a conventional Escape. If you want the OE pad, then buy that.
However, Raybestos shows the same pad for both vehicles, so it probably makes little or no difference.
The rear pads are the same for all Escape versions.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: OEM brake pads question

I did not see the differential in front/rear brake pad wear that the Owner's Manual remarks on (eg the rear pads will wear faster than the front pads).
I like and use the NAPA AdaptiveOne pads. When you get in and see the disks, if there is damage to the disk from metal-to-metal contact, then replace the disk(s), if no damage and the surface is smooth measure the disk thickness, if it is above the minimum, they don't need replacement.