out of gas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 08:23 AM
Lt. Green 06 FEH
Default out of gas?

does any know what happens if the FEH runs out of gas? Can you still run on EV for a short period (ie until you get to a station) or does the system shut down all together?

Old 11-13-2007, 09:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: out of gas?

Originally Posted by grnhybrid
does any know what happens if the FEH runs out of gas? Can you still run on EV for a short period (ie until you get to a station) or does the system shut down all together?
Its in another thread here somewhere.... you can run in a "limp home mode" but you'll only get a mile or two before your battery is dry.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by grnhybrid
If I remember correctly, Gary G. did just this. Something like 22mph for 2 miles and then it slows down like a top until it is dead. There is a post from him on this.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk
If I remember correctly, Gary G. did just this. Something like 22mph for 2 miles and then it slows down like a top until it is dead. There is a post from him on this.
There are a number of posters that have ran out of gas, but none of their experiences were the same. I ran out on I-95 while I was in EV (ICE wouldn't start back up) and only knew it because I was getting past the 40mph limit in EV. I backed off the speed to under 40mph and got off at the next ramp. Made it to a Best Buy parking lot where I was headed anyway and parked in a space. No warning lights or anything that has been reported by others. I tried to restart and it ran for a second and died just like a regular car. I added a gallon of gas and it started again. The HV battery had went below the minimum limits and the battery would not take a fake shift in "L" in addition to MG1 that was charging heavily.

This is how I calculated there was 1.3 gallons left in the tank at 0 MTE. If I remember, I had gone 56 miles past 0 MTE that day before running out of gas. Based on my today average of ~43mpg, I came up with 1.3 gallons. After that post, many others have reported and confirmed 1.3 gallons left after 0 MTE (Miles To Empty).

Old 11-13-2007, 04:49 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

My experience agrees with the 1.3 gallon measurement.

I am the one who's car let me travel at 22 MPH ( with foot to the floor ) in EV mode when I ran out of gas. Then, the car's power ran down like a top to nothing... 15 MPH, 10 MPH, 5 MPH, stop. About 2 miles total.

#1 the car must be started and running normally first. ( you cannot drive away after a key off with no gas.)

#2 there are more than a dozen different "limp home" modes.

#3 So there may be more than a dozen behaviors.

-John

Old 11-14-2007, 06:58 AM
Lt. Green 06 FEH

good info, thanks all.
fyi: When I filled up last it held 13.5 gals. The display reads 13mi until empty.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:24 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Sounds exactly right!