Outdoor temperature - wireless?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Feral Engineer
Default Outdoor temperature - wireless?

I miss not having an outdoor temperature display in my 2007 FEH. Has anyone successfully used an electronic indoor / outdoor thermometer with a wireless remote sensor? Obviously, I could use the kind with a wired sensor, but the wireless seems cleaner, if it will work in an automotive environment. If so , where did you put the sensor unit? Thanks.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Outdoor temperature - wireless?

I think most people who desired this added either a Donnely or Gentek rearview mirror with temp display. I think the Gentek model is the same one that Ford uses on other vehicles. I've only seen a few people mention using other types of wired sensors and displays but none of the wireless variety.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Duc
Stock Sucks

I looked into them a LOT for both my HCH and FEH, went with the wired type.
Less money
Had concerns with heat (probably not a problem but worried anyway)
No btry to chg (wireless side)
No chance of electrical interference
Less money

Clif

Old 02-10-2007, 06:42 AM
Feral Engineer

Indeed the mirror/ compass/ temperature gauge may be the way to go. Does any one know anything about the Exon Science mirror? It looks like a knockoff of the other recommended multifunction mirrors. Thanks in advance.

"http://myweb.hinet.net/home5/exon/products/automotive/b1/index.html"

Old 02-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

I bought and installed a wired unit from Kragen Auto Supply in northern CA, and it cost a grand total of . . . $12 plus tax. The thing works great, looks great, and seems quite accurate. The beauty of it was, I was able to stick it on (velcro taped) the section of dash just below the left-most heater vent. The wire then very neatly slips out of view down to just under the dash, with the wire slipping under the rubber door trim, with the sensor stuck to the door frame. It's nice because it is cheap, accurate, neat require no modification/holes, etc.

Noel

Old 03-29-2007, 01:06 PM
Feral Engineer

I ended up buying the Exon Science mirror on EBay for about $80. It also has a UV gage which I have not hooked up, but the compass and outside temperature readouts work well, though they shut off automatically after a minute or so. Installation was easy, the hardest part was finding a good place to route the wires through the dash panel (ended up drilling a 3/8 hole near the steering boot). So far I think it is a good value, though I'm sure the name brand mirrors are better quality.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I used the Gentek mirror in mine(temp/compass) & it works & looks super.

I work in the IT dept of a local car dealer & I see the exact same mirror daily in all different brands of cars that came with it pre-installed from the factory.

~John

Old 03-30-2007, 11:52 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I would sure love a wireless temperature monitor. If anyone sees one, please share! I'm close to useing a backyard type... they are cheap, but on the large side.... I have found a tiny, electronic, LED compass than sticks to your mirror for something like $25. But I have the Navi, so don't need that!
-John

Old 04-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
I would sure love a wireless temperature monitor. If anyone sees one, please share! I'm close to useing a backyard type... they are cheap, but on the large side.... I have found a tiny, electronic, LED compass than sticks to your mirror for something like $25. But I have the Navi, so don't need that!
-John
The WayFinder V2020 may have a redundant compass on it, but the remote wireless sensor picks up the temperature and displays it just fine. $80 most places, took me five minutes to set up. The unit mounts on the bottom of the windshield, thus sitting on the dashboard--it's about 3" square with a very long-lifed battery. The remote sensor comes with plastic cable ties--I took off the front license plate and secured the sensor to the plate holder. It's been working well for two months now. I just didn't want to go to the hassle of installing the new mirror our fellow threaders have done.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by pianored1
The WayFinder V2020 may have a redundant compass on it, but the remote wireless sensor picks up the temperature and displays it just fine. $80 most places, took me five minutes to set up. The unit mounts on the bottom of the windshield, thus sitting on the dashboard--it's about 3" square with a very long-lifed battery. The remote sensor comes with plastic cable ties--I took off the front license plate and secured the sensor to the plate holder. It's been working well for two months now. I just didn't want to go to the hassle of installing the new mirror our fellow threaders have done.
Thank for the info and it sounds like something I'd be interested in installing.

My question is do you think this device will comply with the FEH electronics? See this material on the '06 and please let us know.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...iers_guide.pdf

GaryG

Quick Reply: Outdoor temperature - wireless?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands