Old 02-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Partial PHEV FEH battery details

From this link (GMVOLT!) http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2431

Electric range of 30 miles--
Power capacity--10 kilo-watt battery is 5x the current FEH battery capacity
Cost--$11,500 5x current hybrid battery cost of
$2300.00

“This 10-kilowatt battery is five times the size of the battery in the Escape hybrid” sport-utility vehicle and five times the cost, Ford’s hybrid vehicle director, Nancy Gioia, said in an interview.--from the link.

I wonder if GPSman1 can crunch some numbers and compare the Hybrids-Plus A123 hybrid battery pack conversion with the Ford data.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Partial PHEV FEH battery details

The packs sound very similar.
To compare apples to apples, you need to know the "available" or "usable" kWh. For example, in all our Ford Escapes right now, it is a 1.8kWh battery, but we only get to use about one-fourth of that power to the wheels.

Is the "10kW" pack in the article 10kW total capacity? Or how much is allowed to be drained between charges?

Based on the FEH avarage of 4 miles per kWh....

I'd have to assume that Ford is installing a 10kWh pack, and allowing the car to use 75% of the power before requireing a recharge.

In that case, Hybrids-Plus makes slightly larger batteries, and/or allows slightly more degree of discharge.

The cars from Hybrid's Plus gave me 141.5 MPG for the first 50 miles of city.
The battery was depleted after 50 miles of city stop and go.
The battery lasted for 25 miles at 58 MPH, and net 90 MPG Highway.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Partial PHEV FEH battery details

I don't have my reference "in front of me" but I remember reading the current fleet Escape PHEV SOC will discharge down to 30% before operating like current retail hybrid models. That would make a 7kWh battery and if it is 4 miles per kWh, then 28 miles duration is the capacity which closely matches Ford's statements of 30 miles. Then again, reading the Telsa website, they mention charging up to 95% of each cell's capacity to ensure greater durability.

Does the price tag of $11,500 for the lithium-ion hybrid battery compares similar to Hybrid-Plus or what you are trying to do with your Honda Insight?

Last edited by Billyk; 02-22-2009 at 08:29 AM.