Path behind dash?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Path behind dash?

Does anyone know if there is a clear path from the drivers side under the dash up to the area behind the head unit?

I don't have the nav system, and have installed my old mp3 head unit into the dash, and there seems to be a good amount of space back there. I'm looking to modify the dash kit my head unit is sitting in and would like to run some wire down to the obd-ii connector. Just wondering if anyone knows if there are any areas to stay away from, or whether there is even an easy to access path between the two points.

Thanks,
jeff.

Old 07-15-2006, 08:55 PM
Default Re: Path behind dash?

Hi Jeft:

Before you go running wires, I suggest you read the workshop manuals. The FEH and MMH can have problems to aftermarket installations of radio, phone and other electronic equipment with the PCM. You don't come across as someone that has read their warnings.

Good luck

GaryG

Old 07-16-2006, 04:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Ok Gary, ignore the stereo installation portion of the message as I had done that long ago (I don't have the nav system, or the audiophile option, so just the most basic of stereos)...

So let's change the question...

I'm looking for a good place to install/mount a scanguage or similar device (PDA, whatever)connected to the obd-ii connector under the dash (similar to what you have done and use every day) and I have a nice space in the middle of my dash that I can make use of, and I'm just curious as to whether there is a clear path between the connector under the drivers side dash area, and the area behind the stereo.

Thanks,
jeff.

Old 07-16-2006, 07:11 AM
Megageek

Yes, there is room to route wires from behind the head unit to the obd-ii connector. I bought an Alpine IVA-W200 and the bluetooth module and iPod cables for it. I routed the remote microphone cable for the bluetooth module through the area you are asking about.

Old 07-16-2006, 07:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thank you, I think it'll be much cleaner to route the cables in behind the dash rather than in front. I think the best place for the display will be in the centre near the stereo rather than trying to mount something on top of the dash somewhere.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:04 AM
Megageek

I currently have a first gen SG which is sitting on top of my dash, but I'm thinking about getting a SG-II and mounting it on the dash. I'm just not sure exactly where yet. If you get one, let us know where you mount it and how it works out.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well currently with the dash kit I have for my stereo, I have a useless pocket that is taking up a couple inches of plastic above the stereo, so I was thinking of modifying it to add a bracket that would hold a SG or similar device just forward of the top of the stereo, so that it's not sitting on top of the dash, but secured to something inside. When/if it gets done that way I'll post some pictures. It probably isn't an option for most people, as I'm sure the majority of people still have the stock head units.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:50 AM
Megageek

I don't have a stock head unit but mine is double DIN so I won't be able to use the same arrangement you are proposing. It souds pretty good though so make sure to let us know how it works out.