Playing in the snow anyone?

Old 02-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Ronin
Default Playing in the snow anyone?

Here is a link to a video of Badfrog having a bit of fun in some new powder.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4d_CtqhlUH4

Anybody else have some fun snow experience? Mine handles the snow pretty good.. love the 4WD.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:33 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Playing in the snow anyone?

I had some trouble backing into a parking spot that had about 6" of heavy packed snow and ice. Seemed almost like the wheels just stopped trying to turn. I was afraid to give it too much "gas" and have it catch and slam the car behind me. Has anyone experienced any issues with the reverse being electric motor driven only?

Old 02-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've had similar experience in soft sand. It's definitely a bit scary pressing the pedal so far down, but the torque delivery is quite linear so it is OK to keep giving it more pedal (at least in my experience). You may want to try it out sans obstacles first to get a feel for how it reacts.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Ronin

You will get into the torque limit and even at full throttle at some point it will just slow and stop. Remember that in reverse its EV drive only. No engine torque... so it's more limited than in Drive. BadFrog had the same issues in about 10" or so in reverse.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, it's irresistible- when the snow comes you have to play in it! I couldn't believe what kind of deep snow I could get through in this thing with zero difficulty. Check out this pic:

http://www.number43.com/photos/IMG_3510_.jpg

That was actually just from the gift the snowplow left at the bottom of the driveway.

What's cool about this vehicle is that when you want to get from point A to point B, you can do it with no problems in any kind of weather (well maybe not if you're in parts of NY state right now). But then when you want to have fun it's easy to overwhelm the AWD and do some donuts.

Old 02-17-2007, 02:07 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Yes... but Brady, beware.... in FRIDGID ( 0'F ) temps, that front plastic "bumper" ( which is really just trim ) gets really brittle.

I hit a snow bank in a parking lot at less than 5 MPH and part of my plastic near the ground snapped right off... just like peanut brittle!

-john

Old 02-17-2007, 08:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just posted pictures of my Mariner Hybrid in the driveway after a 16 inch snowstorm. These pictures are not the best, but you can see the car's wake left in the snow. I did not measure the snow, but it was above the bumpers and about equal to the bottom of the door in places.

Here is a picture of the car and the driveway.
https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi...6/P2140083.jpg

Old 02-18-2007, 01:23 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

I really should have taken some pics when it was at its worst, as after the dumping we got, I carved a path through the driveway without a problem. About 9 inches at the deepest, I didn't have a problem backing out of the garage into it, then driving down the driveway and out onto my street. (Which is a dirt road and unplowed) I saw a few other cars having some problems even in the lighter snows, while I didn't even slip a bit, and carved nice tire paths in a few areas too. (Man, is that fun!)

Old 02-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

During the storm we had around the 14th, I was able to check out the capability of my 05 FEH. This was the second winter I've owned it, but the first winter I was able to drive it in snow. When it was time to leave work, the roads where I were in the DC metro area were horrible, so I ended up spending the night. When I left the next night, I got home to find the street I live on wasn't plowed yet and the snow plows left a nice packed snow bank at the end of our road. I drove over it easily and down the street and found several trenches left by other cars. The only problem I had was after I pulled into my driveway which was 5 inches deep and the top 3 inches was ice.
My driveway hase a slight hill to it so my FEH just sunk into the ice and just started to spin all 4 tires. I just turned it off, ate dinner, then shovelled out the loose/snow mixture from behind the tires and took away as much ice as I could.
Once that was done, I backed right out of my driveway right on top of another ice covered snow drift which the FEH stayed on the top of. My wife then drove it around the neighborhood so I could finish cleaning out the driveway.
The next day I was driving down another road in the country in EV mode and I could feel the rear tires kick in. It was a trip knowing the vehicle could stay in EV mode while utilizing the rear axile.