Plug In Hybrid Study

Old 12-07-2007, 08:35 AM
N/A
Default Plug In Hybrid Study

Has anyone else been approached to participate in the driving habits study for the research on plug-in hybrids being conducted by UC Davis?

Their Institute of Transportation Studies has something called the "Plug-In Hybrid Center". They have a number of converted Prius that they've been loaning to people to see how they are being used.

The study I was contacted for is just a small part of the project and was contracted to Harris Interactive. It requires keeping a simple driving diary. Whenever you park, you have to see if there's a plug nearby.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Plug In Hybrid Study

I ( wanna be ) next! Where do I sign up?

Last edited by gpsman1; 12-07-2007 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:01 AM
08 MMH 4WD

Don't know a thing about it. I could say that about 98% of where I drive, there are no plugs available within 300 yards, let alone accesable by the vehicle owner. The other 2% is at my house

Old 12-07-2007, 09:22 AM

HOGWASH!

Every McDonalds parking lot has a 120v outlet.
Every Hotel parking lot has a 120v outlet.
Every place I have worked over the past 20 years had an outdoor 120v outlet.

You just really aren't looking, now are you?

And as far as "stealing" power from McDonalds goes?
Your 30 minutes of "plug time" while you eat uses about the same amount of power as the hot air hand dryer in the restroom. So just take a hand towel from home when you wash your hands, and it's a trade off.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:41 AM
08 MMH 4WD

Originally Posted by gpsman1
HOGWASH!

Every McDonalds parking lot has a 120v outlet.
Every Hotel parking lot has a 120v outlet.
Every place I have worked over the past 20 years had an outdoor 120v outlet.

You just really aren't looking, now are you?

And as far as "stealing" power from McDonalds goes?
Your 30 minutes of "plug time" while you eat uses about the same amount of power as the hot air hand dryer in the restroom. So just take a hand towel from home when you wash your hands, and it's a trade off.
But I use the Drive through at Mickey-D's and am faithful to my wife so I don't frequent hotels!

Where I work at I have not seen any outdoor outlets. If there are any, I would need to part on the lawn as the parking lot (and close in spaces) are some distance from the building. There are no outlets on the light poles. At a different location there may be some in the parking garage near the stairs, but again those spaces close to the outlet / stairs are hard to come by.

When I go to the store, be it grocery, mall, home improvement, ... again, there may be an outlet somewhere, but it is not generally accessible where the parking spaces are. I am sure getting permission to use their power for my use would also be a hurdle.

Things may be different in the people’s republic of Boulder though

So I guess if I was to be part of the survey, the % where I see a outlet would be higher, being available / accessible for personal use may be different story.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:47 AM

I agree that the "outlet" is not always in your first choice of parking space.

But hey, if you are going to put up the cost / time / effort for getting a plug-in hybrid, this seems like a minor obstacle to me.

Of course, right now, this would be fun, since you would ( probably ) have the only PHEV in town.

As soon as they become commonplace, public outlets will:
#1 be hard to find one without a car already attached
#2 start to fall under lock & key

So I really only see PHEV being "plugged in" at home and work, with the employer making special arrangements such as high amp service accessible to multiple cars at once.

There is a Pizza Delivery place I just saw advertised in Minneapolis, called "galaxy pizza" I think it was. ALL of their delivery cars are BEV's.
( Battery Electric Vehicles )
Think about it. An electric car does not have lowered "fuel economy" in winter!

Old 12-07-2007, 11:24 AM
N/A

The study material says the following about parking: "This is the most important part: explore each parking spot you use. Look for an electric outlet within eyesight of your vehicle, about 50 feet. Have a look around. If you do find an outlet, imagine yourself plugging in your vehicle there. Think of how easy or difficult this might be..."

At the end of the diary instructions there's a sort of FAQ section entitled "Other Diary Issues" which I thought was interesting. It says, in part,

"What kinds of electrical outlets do we look for?

Look for the outlets you typically see around your house, usually with three holes. If outdoors, the plug may have some sort of cover over it. Just ask yourself: could I plug my cell phone, computer, or toaster into this thing? If yes, then you can record it as a suitable electric outlet.

What if we can’t find any electrical outlets?

This is fine. Many parking spots will not have an electric outlet nearby. Just be sure to at least take a look – you might be surprised where you find an outlet."

Today is my study day so I drove the FEH to work. I've had to think about how easy/hard it would be to plug it in if that was an option. I took a look around the parking structure and noticed a carbon monoxide monitor mounted on a support right behind me. There was a plug behind it. Cool.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mtberman
Today is my study day so I drove the FEH to work. I've had to think about how easy/hard it would be to plug it in if that was an option. I took a look around the parking structure and noticed a carbon monoxide monitor mounted on a support right behind me. There was a plug behind it. Cool.
I would call an outlet with somthing plugged into it "unavailable". I can just see everyone going around unplugging things.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:34 PM
08 MMH 4WD

If the outlet is like your home outlets, there may be 2 receptacles with only 1 being used.

That question did get me to wonder; currently in the US are most PEH 110V or 220V?

Also what amperage do they normally pull?

Last edited by ICBMariner; 12-07-2007 at 01:34 PM. Reason: boo boo
Old 12-07-2007, 01:44 PM
08 MMH 4WD
Wink Re: Plug In Hybrid Study

Originally Posted by gpsman1
As soon as they become commonplace, public outlets will:
#1 be hard to find one without a car already attached
#2 start to fall under lock & key
I think option # 3 here would be a pay as your charge station with a current sensor that will stop providing juice when disconnected from the vehicle to help prevent someone from using your charge after you pay and walk away (IE:Credit card like pay-at-the-pump with either a flat fee or hourly rate).

Sort of picture an area like handicap parking, but for PEH and a row of pay stations.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Plug In Hybrid Study

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands