Plug In Hybrid Study

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Plug In Hybrid Study

I think the point is: Some critics will say there is no "infrastructure" for plug in cars. I think there is plenty of 120 VAC infrasturcture already in place. It just needs to become the social norm that it is okay to plug in where ever you are, whenever you need to.

The problem with the EV1 concept car was it took a high voltage, high current rapid charger. You could only get that at home. The charger was external to the car.

Now, if you put a 120 VAC charger IN THE CAR and do most of the charging over night at home with a standard 120 VAC plug, and only used public outlets ( malls, resturants, places you spend at least 30-60 minutes or longer parked ) to "top off" your battery pack... a pack can be built with a 100 mile range... and as long as you keep "topping off" every time you park, that now becomes a car with a 100 mile battery that can go virtually unlimited distances away from home.

I know what you are thinking... what about the cost? Well, McDonalds gives out Free Water, Ice, and sometimes Coffee to it's patrons as a courtesy, and to say, hey, we want you to come back.
McDonalds can add 5 or 10 cents to the food price to cover the electricity used by patrons if they feel the need. But just think of the marketing tool. "Eat at McDonalds, the place where you can fill your PHEV car, and your belly..." Malls and hotels can do the same. Choose us, because we provide FREE plug-ins as well as free Wi-Fi and free HBO.
There will be very little modification or investment in "infrastructure" required. It just has to become the social norm that you do not mess with someone else's cord when plugged in. But I can also visualisze "locking" cords if needed. But millions of people put Xmas lights in their yards with extension cords, and the "norm" is people leave it alone.

My $.04.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:57 PM

Naw... what's the point?

Each car is going to use about 15 cents per HOUR.
Putting in, and maintaining a credit card machine is going to cost more than the revenue it provides. And don't the credit card companies charge merchants a fee on each transaction?

That is less money than a parking meter takes...
Hey, there you go... just make the parking meter near plugs cost $1.25 per hour, and the ones without plug, $1.00 per hour! Easy!

Originally Posted by ICBMariner
I think option # 3 here would be a pay as your charge station with a current sensor that will stop providing juice when disconnected from the vehicle to help prevent someone from using your charge after you pay and walk away (IE:Credit card like pay-at-the-pump with either a flat fee or hourly rate).

Sort of picture an area like handicap parking, but for PEH and a row of pay stations.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:20 PM
N/A

I agree that it's like free WiFi. If they'll let me charge my PHEV while I'm there, I'm more likely to shop there. I can picture a business like REI having spots reserved for PHEVs out front with plugs. Good for business, good for image, better for the environment and so on.

One could argue that free charging is a disincentive to use public transit, I suppose. But PHEVs are a stepping stone, not a solution. The ultimate goal is alternative energy.

Meanwhile, stepping stones should be encouraged IMO. Encouragements include things like tax credits and free parking.

Hybrid buyers in CO who can benefit from the big tax credits have each probably already told at least two people about their good fortune. That's the kind of buzz that eventually changes behavior. Well, that and $4 a gallon gas.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:48 PM
N/A

I completed the PHEV diary today.

I went from home to work (4 mi), the gym (1.5 mi), then to the REI store in Denver for a gift (2.5 mi), then home (6.5 miles). I bought the wrong gift and had to return to REI and swap it, another 6.5 mi each way. It was in fairly heavy city traffic. This was much more driving than I do on a typical day, so it was a good day for it.

It was really an interesting exercise. If I'd been driving a PHEV, I could have plugged in at work, possibly at the gym, and of course at home.

In the information packet, it says to assume your PHEV has an "all electric" range of the first 10 miles with the option to upgrade to all electric for the first 20 miles or the first 40. The follow-up survey will give prices for the upgrades. If REI had plugs, or if my PHEV had the upgrade to run 20 miles in all electric, I would not have used any gasoline today. Cool.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:05 AM
Enthusiast

Here's an interesting alternative:

Re-Charge a Plug-In via Solar

http://www.solarelectricalvehicles.com/

Old 12-08-2007, 09:09 AM

What the intro page does not tell you is:

12 hours of parking in the sun, the car can collect about 2 miles of electricity. That's it.

You could get 20 miles a day of "solar" power for your car if:

#1 the car had a 10x larger battery ( this company adds one )
#2 you cover your entire roof of your home with solar cells
#3 you work the night shift, so you are always home during daylight
#4 You pay over $50,000 for it

-John

Old 12-12-2007, 06:38 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

Next, there will be highway taxes on the plug stations!