PlugIN; Better mileage when ICE is on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 04:41 PM
Enthusiast
Post PlugIN; Better mileage when ICE is on?

I have noticed when my battery is fully charged, after a long 3 mile hill, that I get a measurable amount of EV assist for several minutes at 50-55 mph. That suggests to me that a better battery would permit better highway mpg via ICE + EV. Is that correct? 2005 FEH, 80k miles

Old 05-13-2008, 05:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: PlugIN; Better mileage when ICE is on?

If you look in the photo section (for this photo) you will see my SOC is 68% and I am obtaining a 45 mpg reading. I obtained this excess hybrid battery SOC with a long downhill run in Maryland this past January. I also had electric assist for a short duration. I understand it as Ford does not program the vehicle for "too" much of this for durability concerns. The hybrid battery SOC in the Escape is like 40-58%, the Honda Civic I believe is 50-80%. The Prius is? Ford wants the hybrid battery to last a long time.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk

If you look in the photo section (for this photo) you will see my SOC is 68% and I am obtaining a 45 mpg reading. I obtained this excess hybrid battery SOC with a long downhill run in Maryland this past January. I also had electric assist for a short duration. I understand it as Ford does not program the vehicle for "too" much of this for durability concerns. The hybrid battery SOC in the Escape is like 40-58%, the Honda Civic I believe is 50-80%. The Prius is? Ford wants the hybrid battery to last a long time.
I've read the Prius is 20 - 80.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:57 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

To the OP.

Yes, in a "Plug-In" Ford Escape ( I've driven one for 4 days ) battery assist occurs at all speeds. You can get extended periods of EV if you are going slow. This is true.

On the Highway, you will get up to 90 MPG for the first 25 miles, then regular MPG after that.

With a mix of EV and ICE use in the city, I net 141 MPG during 5 HOURS of driving.

-John

Old 05-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Enthusiast

So how do I get a plug-in! Hopefully some affordable after-market kits will come. Thanks for the confirmation!

Old 05-14-2008, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by chianti
So how do I get a plug-in!
Contact Hybrids-Plus out of Boulder for further information. They are on the internet also.

Hopefully some affordable after-market kits will come. Thanks for the confirmation!