Poll: If no bailout and Ford files Ch 11, would you still buy from them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Poll: If no bailout and Ford files Ch 11, would you still buy from them?

Hybrid Car Blog: "On Wall Street, most believe that bankruptcy is the best way to save the US auto industry for it will cut a lot of dead weight quickly. Those against such a plan claim that consumers won't buy from automakers that had to declare bankruptcy.

Perhaps. Still, will buyers - whom probably feel financially stressed and also in need of a bailout - feel so much more comfortable buying cars from automakers that needed massive government help to prevent bankruptcy? Might there not even be some anger transferred to such automakers?"

Old 11-19-2008, 06:28 AM
Active Enthusiast
Location: New Jersey. Land of high auto insurance and pollution.
Default Re: Poll: If no bailout and Ford files Ch 11, would you still buy from them?

As long as the courts don't let them off the hook for their warranties and ESP warranties I'd still buy from Ford.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:36 AM
Default Re: Poll: If no bailout and Ford files Ch 11, would you still buy from them?

I was ready to order a Ford Fusion Hybrid for my wife Nov. 1st, but the down turn in the economy made me wait. If Ford has to file Ch 11, I will wait till after the smoke clears before purchasing.

After watching Ford closely since before my '05 purchase of my FEH, I think they've did a great job trying to keep up with the market demand. It was Big Oil, the Mortgage Industry and the Bush Admin IMO, who trashed our economy this past 4 years. People are upside down in their homes, big SUVs and have had gas prices put them in credit card reliance.

It makes me angry to see the blame game from members of Congress that don't admit the shock of gas prices took Americans over the edge. If further jobs are lost in the Auto Industry, it's going to start an even bigger landslide of our economy.

After going through the ordering process this past year for my '09 FEH, I'm not going though it again with all the plant shutdowns, price increases and tricks played by the dealers. I decided to take my advise to others here and buy off the lot if and when I feel things are improving.

So yes, even the thought of Ch 11 has stop me from buying now.

GaryG

Old 11-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

The issue is not whether you could buy from them. It is whether they will be able to sell to you.

If they (GM/Ford/Chrysler) start defaulting on their vendor payments, new cars will become scarce because the parts suppliers will be shocked out of business. GM going under would put about 1M people out of work, many of whom supply parts not just for GM, but for Honda and Toyota and others.

Ain't capitalism grand.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Chapter 11 means that the company is restructuring it's obligations, but will come out of bankruptcy. So I would purchase from them.

Even if they went belly up, aftermarket parts suppliers and mechanics would pop up to service the cars. But I would not expect them to close up shop forever.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

I heard Ford is in the best condition among the big threes. Ford has highest cash reserve than GM and Chrysler.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Considering we usually drive our vehicles until they are almost on their death-beds or they no longer serve our needs; and also considering we've owned 6 Chryslers (I have personally been co-owner of 4) and 3 Fords, I would definitely purchase another Ford. I have had far less problems with Ford than Chrysler.

With the Chryslers, we have had to continuously use the 100K Extended Warranty for '92 Shadow (car was dying - 82K Miles), '95 Stratus (car was dying - 200K miles), '99 Durango (Gas hog and gas was getting too expensive), & '05 Pacifica (Currently own).

With my Fords, I only had to use the 100 K Extended Warranty one time which was for a tie rod end on my FEH.
I've previously owned an '84 EXP and a '92 Ranger. The only reason I sold each was they no longer suited my needs. When I traded the Ranger in for my Durango, the Ranger had 150K miles on it with the original clutch. Neither vehicle had an extended warranty either and none was needed.

So yes, once the market/economy clears up and I have a need, I would buy another Ford.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

yes

Old 01-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Red

I don't think there is any chance that Ford will go under. They began preparing for a downturn several years ago and have reduced cost and have the cash reserves to weather the storm.

Two years from now you will be saying that you wish you had bought a truck load (F-150 style) of Ford stock when it was under $3 a share.

Ford also has new products that will recapture market share - 2010 Fusion/Milan, Mustang and Taurus right on the heels of the new F-150, MKS, etc.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:14 PM

Chapter 11 or not, no more Ford products for me.

Quick Reply: Poll: If no bailout and Ford files Ch 11, would you still buy from them?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands