Possible to remove center console on '05 FEH?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 03:24 PM
Enthusiast
Default Possible to remove center console on '05 FEH?

I'd really like to take an extended camping trip this summer and sleep in my '05 FEH. The only problem is that the flat-bed cargo area is too short to fit my air mattress. I can remove the rear seat cushions and push the front seats all the way forward, which would add about a foot of length, but the center console presents a real problem. I'd like to remove it - don't really need the storage area - but it contains the hand brake and floor shifter, so I'm not sure it can be done, or what could be used as a smaller replacement cover. Anyone done this and have instructions or advice? Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 05-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Possible to remove center console on '05 FEH?

Bumping this up - time is getting short and I'd sure appreciate any kind of suggestion or diagram for removing that center console...thanks!

Old 05-14-2013, 07:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

IIRC, the base models of the early Ford Escapes, 2001-2002, had much smaller and shorter center consoles. Since they obviously had handbrakes and were available w/automatic transmissions, perhaps one of those would work. I've never removed the console from my 06 FEH, so I have zero idea what's involved.

Last edited by GatorJ; 05-14-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:46 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GatorJ
IIRC, the base models of the early Ford Escapes, 2001-2002, had much smaller and shorter center consoles. Since they obviously had handbrakes and were available w/automatic transmissions, perhaps one of those would work. I've never removed the console from my 06 FEH, so I have zero idea what's involved.
Thanks for replying, GatorJ. I think the center console would have to be different, though, since the FEH has the 9V and the 120V outlets where the little storage bin used to be. It might be possible to modify it, though, since this is just a temporary fix. That's a good suggestion and I'll look into it.

Thanks!

Old 05-14-2013, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by AJSpark
I'd really like to take an extended camping trip this summer and sleep in my '05 FEH. The only problem is that the flat-bed cargo area is too short to fit my air mattress.
It might be easier to modify your air mattress or use two narrower air mattresses on either side of the console.

I sleep in the back of my FEH on a 78" Thermarest with no problem. The excess mattress length just curls up against the lift gate.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by econoline
It might be easier to modify your air mattress or use two narrower air mattresses on either side of the console.

I sleep in the back of my FEH on a 78" Thermarest with no problem. The excess mattress length just curls up against the lift gate.
I didn't think this would work, but by golly it does! With the driver's seat all the way forward, my older, narrower air mattress fits full-length with the gate closed. Now I just need to find something that will fill the gap between the back of the driver's seat and the dropped-down rear seat back....a box stuffed with paper, maybe. In any case, WAY easier than removing or replacing the center console! THANK YOU!!

Last edited by AJSpark; 05-14-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by AJSpark
Now I just need to find something that will fill the gap between the back of the driver's seat and the dropped-down rear seat back....a box stuffed with paper, maybe.
I can help you with that. I went in search of a box to fit that area, and found the perfect fit from an Igloo Marine Cooler (36 cans, 25qt, 23l, model #4890571, $22@Target), measures 20" x 11" x 13"h. It fits with the lid facing to the vehicle rear (front?), so would leak if wet inside, but fits like it was designed for this space and makes a level surface. http://www.igloocoolers.com/Coolers/...5-Quart-Marine

A guy over at Escape-Central came up with plans for a set of custom wooden storage boxes to fit in that space, but I can't find his thread again, and too much work IMHO.

Last edited by econoline; 05-14-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:03 PM

I can help you with that. I went in search of a box to fit that area, and found the perfect fit from an Igloo Marine Cooler (36 cans, 25qt, 23l, model #4890571, $22@Target), measures 20" x 11" x 13"h. It fits with the lid facing to the vehicle rear (front?), so would leak if wet inside, but fits like it was designed for this space and makes a level surface. http://www.igloocoolers.com/Coolers/...5-Quart-Marine

A guy over at Escape-Central came up with plans for a set of custom wooden storage boxes to fit in that space, but I can't find his thread again, and too much work IMHO.
I had an aluminum frame made for a rear high boat seat/cleaning board/Rod holders and a SS bracket that holds that cooler under the seat. The seat has a SS hinge to access the cooler. A few years ago, I bought an extra 25qt cooler just in case igloo quit making that cooler. They've been hard to find, but I seen Walmart now has them for $19.99. I bought another extra cooler the other day. The SS bracket must have been made by igloo just for that cooler 20 years ago. It's a great size for the small stuff.

I keep my drinks manly in it because it's real handy to lift the seat and get one. Unsnap the cushion and I have a cleaning board above the cooler to cut bait or clean fish.

GaryG

Old 05-14-2013, 03:26 PM
Cheapskate

Originally Posted by GaryG
I keep my drinks manly

Old 05-14-2013, 03:37 PM
Enthusiast

We don't have either a Target or a Wal-Mart (hard to believe, huh?). So I just made a quick run behind the supermarket and, using your measurements, found a perfect-sized cardboard box that broccoli had been shipped in, and will stuff old newspapers in it to make it more sturdy. So I'm all set! Many thanks to you, econoline!