Power Steering Fluid Flush

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 06:21 AM
Enthusiast
Default Power Steering Fluid Flush

While at my Ford dealer yesterday to have my oil changed on my FEH (34,000 miles) the service writer tried to tell me that in order to follow the suggested maintenance schedule that I also needed a power steering fluid flush, injector cleaning service and fuel filter change.

I don't mind them trying to sell me stuff but to tell me that it is a required maintenance item at 34,000 miles seems to be out right dishonest. Since I was not sure on the fuel filter I agreed to that. After getting the Escape back I read the owners manual and I found that the fuel filter is a 100,000 mile replacement item.

There is also no mention of power steering flush or injector service.

I have an appointment today with the service manger on getting a refund for the fuel filter replacement which was $57.00 parts and labor.

Now I understand why dealers are referred to as Stealers!

Old 04-19-2008, 04:51 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Power Steering Fluid Flush

It the power steering for the Escape all electric or is it an electric motor that runs a hydraulic pump and if it is hydraulic does it require adding or replacing of the fluid?

I am in a discussion with my dealer and want to have the best facts I can.

Thanks.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

You seriously need to find a new dealer or just go to an independent garage. There is no power steering fluid. Even if there was, there would be no required power steering flush. Injector service is not a scheduled item. This is really bad for a Ford dealer and I would consider making a complaint to Dearborn.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:27 AM
Enthusiast

IndyBob,
I live on the southwest side of Indy. Which dealer is pulling these shenanigans?

Old 04-24-2008, 05:26 AM
Enthusiast

Bill Estes Ford in Brownsburg. I wrote them a letter complaining of the scam and the the general manager called my Tuesday and made excuses and apologies for it. Their excuse is they don't see many Hybrids in there! According to him he has had meetings with the service manager to prevent this in the future. I did get my money back for the $57.00 fuel filter change that they said was due at 30K.

I have had no problems with the Escape I just take it there for normal service. I will be taking it to a local non-dealer shop from now on for normal service.

Bob

Old 04-24-2008, 08:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IndyBob
Bill Estes Ford in Brownsburg. I wrote them a letter complaining of the scam and the the general manager called my Tuesday and made excuses and apologies for it. Their excuse is they don't see many Hybrids in there! According to him he has had meetings with the service manager to prevent this in the future. I did get my money back for the $57.00 fuel filter change that they said was due at 30K.

I have had no problems with the Escape I just take it there for normal service. I will be taking it to a local non-dealer shop from now on for normal service.

Bob
Not all dealers are crooks of course... I'm not sure going to a non-dealer is the fix...most non-dealers are going to know EVEN less about the hybrids and are even more likely to try to sell you power steering fluid for a vehicle that doesn't have any.

And frankly the proportion of non-dealers that are crooks is likely at least as high as dealers.

Either way.... your best bet is to know your car well and confront them on things that aren't right I'm afraid.

Service writers aren't hybrid trained as far as I know... and most of them don't know anything so you are kind of on your own.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:27 PM
Enthusiast

IndyBob, I go to Ray Skillman on the southside, and they've been pretty straight up with me for service; they wouldn't let me change the oil at 5,000 miles, but insisted I could wait until 10,000, for instance. Good luck.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:21 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Green. It is a shame that I need to travel 35 miles to find a dealer who knows what they are doing when I have a dealer 1 mile from me.

That's what I will do as the general manager at Estes said they only service a couple of hybrids and don't sell any.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Greenie

This brings up a good point... How DO you find a dealer that has a mechanic that IS specifically trained to work on the Hybrids? They should have one at least that has been sent to school for it?

I'm in Livonia, Michigan to be exact if anyone has had any good or bad experiences with any dealers around me... please share your stories...

Old 08-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ddderek
This brings up a good point... How DO you find a dealer that has a mechanic that IS specifically trained to work on the Hybrids? They should have one at least that has been sent to school for it?

I'm in Livonia, Michigan to be exact if anyone has had any good or bad experiences with any dealers around me... please share your stories...
Any Ford Dealership that sells Ford hybrid vehicles must have at least one Ford hybrid certified mechanic.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Fluid Flush

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands