problem starting FEH

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 07:52 AM
Enthusiast
Default problem starting FEH

Alright so i jsut put a new motor in mine and today was the first day we were able to try to start her up. When we turned the key she fired up but she only ran for like 2 seconds tops then she sputtered and died. Then we did this about 15 more times thinking that there was air or something in the fuel line and she kept doing this. Any ideas on what might be wrong with it?

Old 08-13-2009, 08:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: problem starting FEH

Since this is a fuel injected, pressurized system I don't think its air in the fuel lines after the first few start attempts. It sounds like the fuel pump is working but verify that first. Sounds to me like something is interfering with the spark once the engine transitions from the start mode to the run mode. Check that out.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Call me crazy, but I'm guessing the new motor you just put in is not an Atkinson-cycle engine that an FEH uses, so the FEH engine computer you have doesn't know how to operate it.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:30 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
Since this is a fuel injected, pressurized system I don't think its air in the fuel lines after the first few start attempts. It sounds like the fuel pump is working but verify that first. Sounds to me like something is interfering with the spark once the engine transitions from the start mode to the run mode. Check that out.
yea the fuel pump is working because you can hear it when you turn the key forwords. So what could be interfering with the spark? maybe a short or something along those lines?

Originally Posted by D-mac
Call me crazy, but I'm guessing the new motor you just put in is not an Atkinson-cycle engine that an FEH uses, so the FEH engine computer you have doesn't know how to operate it.
its a ford escape hybrid motor for sure cause i was there when the yard took it out of the car. and both of the engines are exactly the same in appearance.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

FEHs have a lot of sensors in the engine. Have you checked if your computer knows how to communicate with each one of them? Ford has no reason to make engine swaps on FEHs plug n' play across model years.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Enthusiast

my dad has the computer to do it with but he doesn't have the program for ford escapes only toyota prius's. But i just talked to the guys at ford and they think it might be injectors. so we are swapping them out

Old 08-13-2009, 05:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The spark controller has to know where the cam & crankshaft are to set the correct spark timing. Until it does it fires both cylinders, one on the compression and one on the exhaust strokes. Once it identifies the cylinder on its compression stroke then it shifts to firing the correct cylinder.

The sensor is a reluctance unit and there is a (36-1) tooth wheel to provide that info. I'm taking shot on this but it just sounds like the issue surrounds the transition from start to run on this circuit.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:31 PM
Enthusiast

we were very careful not to move the crankshaft sensor, the camshaft sensor is fixed in one location and not adjustable. Is it possible that one escape hybrid is timed differently than another and that we would have to adjust on of these sensors? My friend/mechanic today suggested that either the cam or crankshaft sensor's were bad. So we replaced the camshaft sensor with the one off the old engine but the crank sensor is still the one that came with the new engine. Someone also suggested that it may be a problem with the security system like on the GM products. So we went to ford today and asked if it could be this, and they looked at us like we were from outer space. One of their "hybrid" technicians suggested that it went into EV mode and that i should put it into "D" and try to start the vehicle, this guy kinda scared me. And another guy suggested that we take a .44 magnum to the car and see if we can persuade her to start.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:35 PM
Enthusiast

Why did you have to replace the engine?

Old 08-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Enthusiast

spun bering on the crank because it was ran my my brother without oil and it overheated. When you overhead an aluminum engine you mine as well take a .45 and have some fun shooting at the engine.

Quick Reply: problem starting FEH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands