Questions about Mileage on 2008 FWD.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Questions about Mileage on 2008 FWD.

Everyone,

When I first got my Mariner...my average MPG was about 30. THis dropped by about 3 MPG when the temp was below 40. Maybe a little more below 10 degrees.

When I hit about 7200 miles, I noticed a jump of about 4 MPG. I hit 10K miles last week, and I am now averaging around 38mpg.

I did increase my Michellin tires to 40 LBS, they are allowed to go to 44. But it is definately a rougher ride.

It also appears that driving in low seems to improve MPG. It seems engine braking also generates more charge then regen braking?

I currently dont go much over about 53MPH. Would I do better to take currenty roads and run 30 instead?

Just trying to figure out if I can squeeze a few more MPG out of it easily.

Thanks for all your help. I would have probably never bought the vehcile withouht this site.

Pat

Old 05-08-2008, 05:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Questions about Mileage on 2008 FWD.

Originally Posted by pb5927317
Everyone,

When I first got my Mariner...my average MPG was about 30. THis dropped by about 3 MPG when the temp was below 40. Maybe a little more below 10 degrees.

When I hit about 7200 miles, I noticed a jump of about 4 MPG. I hit 10K miles last week, and I am now averaging around 38mpg.

I did increase my Michellin tires to 40 LBS, they are allowed to go to 44. But it is definately a rougher ride.

It also appears that driving in low seems to improve MPG. It seems engine braking also generates more charge then regen braking?

I currently dont go much over about 53MPH. Would I do better to take currenty roads and run 30 instead?

Just trying to figure out if I can squeeze a few more MPG out of it easily.

Thanks for all your help. I would have probably never bought the vehcile withouht this site.

Pat
Pat, if you are getting 38mpg out of your vehicle, then some other folks are going to be asking you for advise on how you do it. Your statement on driving in Low improves mileage requires a YES/NO response. There is more resistance to forward motion while driving in Low. This means the expert hypermilers will "shift" gears while driving and using Low when it is appropriate. GaryG has posted many articles on this and there are others on this site you can locate via the search option. Look in the FAQ section on this site. An easy to see how LOW can hinder forward motion is to find a "decent" downhill. Try rolling down the hill in LOW and again when the shifter is in "D". There is a big difference.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Questions about Mileage on 2008 FWD.

Originally Posted by pb5927317

I think you are a bit confused. There are only differing levels of regen....there isn't really engine braking vs regen braking. There difference between L and D is the amount of regenerative braking being applied. In both D and L, the vehicle will slow itself the moment you release the accelerator. In L, the computer adds significantly more regenerative braking, slowing the vehicle faster and charging the batteries more. In D, there will still be regenerative braking and the vehicle will slow down somewhat and there will still be charging....just less than in L.

Owners vary in their preferred method of driving. L gives you more regen and thus more charge, but it also reduces coasting. Many drivers, myself included will treat L like a downshift. I drive in D, and when I see a redlight ahead I will let off the gas and coast in D or N....and when it is time to slow down, shift to L to get the regen and slow down.

I don't know how much better you can get....I'd love to get 38mpg. That said, you would need to describe the types of roads you drive and the length of your trips. It has been said that the FEH maxes its MPG at about 48mph. I think it would be great to live in the suburbs/rural areas so that I could drive at 45mph....slow down and charge up. Accelerate using EV mode....get back up to 45mph for a couple of miles....slow down....etc.