Questions from new owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 07:52 AM
Hybrid_SUV_Owner
Post DTE function

Originally Posted by jimbarstow
After about a 30 minute drive today the miles-to-empty display said 371 miles. When I got back in the car after 2 hours and started the engine, it said 307 miles. This information is completely worthless. We used to have an audi a6 and the miles-to-empty seemed really accurate. This isn't rocket science.
Jim,
How much fuel was left in your tank? (3/4, 1/2, etc.)? The DTE should operate as a function of your avg mpg, which in itslf with a hybrid could be all over the place. Not making excuses for this case, but if you have lots of fuel left, this could be quite a variance. Take for example you had 12 gal in you tank.

370/12= 30.83 mpg
307/12= 25.58 mpg

So if all of a sudden the FEH "thought" you were getting 25 mpg instead of 30, it could make that jump. (just an example)

I had a chrysler minivan that had this function. A wild guess when the tank was full(20 gal tank)...however got more and more accurate as you got towards empty. Again, not making excuses for Ford...just my .02 cents.

Nate Green

Old 01-21-2005, 05:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks Wayne for the advice but what I was trying to do was recycle my batteries early in the same way I have done with my camera and IPod. There is a learning curve to all devices that store power. I admit I am not an engineer but am acting on my gut.

I have really seen a difference. I realize that if I try to force it too low or too high the firmware in the H-Escape will certainly over rule what I am trying to do. I still feel that the initial firmware is too tight and I am trying to test its limits.

I understand Ford will not update the firmware easily if such a change might adversely affect the extended warranty.

Thanks for you knowledge!

Mike