Questions on the power management display

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Questions on the power management display

This is my first post here. I just got my FEH 08 last Tuesday. Three weeks ago I had no intention of buying a new car my beloved Jeep Cherokee started developing costly repairs and to make a long story short I ended up with this FEH. I wanted a hybrid and the Escape is the only one that is suited for (light) off-road use.

Anyway it is kind of funny how this car makes you obsessive over the mileage. So I've been watching the display on the nav system and reading the forums and came up with the following questions.

The display has four elements: the engine, the drive train, the electric motor, and the battery.

a. What does it mean when a line appears between the engine and the drive train? There is no direct mechanical coupling, so isn't it true that the only way the engine can drive the wheels is through the electric motor?

b. Shouldn't there be two electric motors -- actually motor-generators? One connected to the engine and the other connected to the drive train.

I have been searching for a schematic. I can find one for the Toyota Hybrid-Synergy-Drive (HSD) which is supposedly similar to the FEH's system, but I can't find one for the FEH. Anyone have some links?

Much thanks for any help.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Questions on the power management display

Originally Posted by MrCrank
a. What does it mean when a line appears between the engine and the drive train? There is no direct mechanical coupling, so isn't it true that the only way the engine can drive the wheels is through the electric motor?
There is indeed a direct mechanical coupling from the engine (what we call the "ICE") and the drive train. The ICE can drive the wheels. The electric motor can drive the wheels. Both can drive the wheels.

b. Shouldn't there be two electric motors -- actually motor-generators? One connected to the engine and the other connected to the drive train.
Well, the display diagram is a bit simplistic. The "arrow" from the electric motor symbol to the battery symbol, represents the generator. The "arrow" from the electric motor symbol to the drive train, represents the motor.

BTW, have you noticed that the thickness of the lines changes, representing the amount of electrical current moving?

Last edited by WaltPA; 11-13-2007 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:52 PM

Here is a good article about how things work. There is also some real technical information. Look on page 9 to see how everything is connected.
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...DSM500_HEV.pdf

GaryG

Old 11-13-2007, 01:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick replies and I see where I was getting confused.

There has been a lot of ink (pixels) spilled about the similarity between the FEH and the Toyota HSD what with the cross-licensing at all. But from this manual the systems do not seem that similar.

In HSD, the ICE is hooked up to a motor-generator and that's it. There is a second motor-generator that powers (or is powered by) the drive train. 4WD models have a 3rd motor-generator. In contrast the FEH seems to have one motor-generator with an assistant electric motor called a "traction motor." To get the job done that fancy CVT geargox is needed.

Interesting. I'll study the manual more.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:27 PM

Here is another old but good bit of information MrCrank:
http://www.gulfcoastnews.com/RT2005FordEscapeHybrid.htm

GaryG

Old 11-13-2007, 05:14 PM
Enthusiast

This is my first post here. I just got my FEH 08 last Tuesday. Three weeks ago I had no intention of buying a new car my beloved Jeep Cherokee started developing costly repairs and to make a long story short I ended up with this FEH. I wanted a hybrid and the Escape is the only one that is suited for (light) off-road use.

Anyway it is kind of funny how this car makes you obsessive over the mileage. So I've been watching the display on the nav system and reading the forums and came up with the following questions.

The display has four elements: the engine, the drive train, the electric motor, and the battery.

I have been searching for a schematic. I can find one for the Toyota Hybrid-Synergy-Drive (HSD) which is supposedly similar to the FEH's system, but I can't find one for the FEH. Anyone have some links?

Much thanks for any help.
I also traded in a 2001 Jeep Cherokee two weeks ago for an '08 FEH with little to no warning I went to test drive an FEH and the dealer had 4 sitting on the lot so I came home with the fully loaded AWD one of course

Old 11-14-2007, 04:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lurch
I also traded in a 2001 Jeep Cherokee two weeks ago for an '08 FEH with little to no warning
Yea, I sold off my 1999 Jeep Cherokee. I do, miss the higher luxury the Jeep had over the MMH... 6-way passenger seat, 2-heat level seats, tons of interior lights, 4WD active indicator, etc.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:41 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Yea, I sold off my 1999 Jeep Cherokee. I do, miss the higher luxury the Jeep had over the MMH... 6-way passenger seat, 2-heat level seats, tons of interior lights, 4WD active indicator, etc.
Mine was a Cherokee (XJ) not a Grand Cherokee the only luxuries I had were the I6 engine and power windows Before that I had two Wranglers that didn't even have AC. The fully loaded FEH feels like a Mercedes to me.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:04 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default FEH and M-Class

Originally Posted by Lurch
MThe fully loaded FEH feels like a Mercedes to me.
Now that you mention it, has anyone else noticed the similarity of the body style of the 2008 FEH and the Mercedes M-class? Anyone have any idea which influenced the other?

As for value, there is no question the FEH 2008 is a better value than the M-class, which would have some more doo-dads (like garage door opener and whatever) but $10K-12K more. And not a hybrid.