Rattle from Rear Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Rattle from Rear Hatch

Originally Posted by tas246
I had this same problem (or what seems to be the same problem)...

For me it was the glass on the rear end rattling where it hooks in. I ended up fixing it by wrapping the metal connector on the glass gate with a piece of electrical tape where it contacts the white latch. The problem immediately went away and hasn't returned since (~4 months).

Tom
I did something similar - I wrapped the hook on the window latch with duct tape. It has been quiet since. I also put a little grease on the hook so it would not rattle. Little noises in the vehiclke drive me nuts and they are especially obvious when the vehicle runs so quietly.

Last edited by Sascol; 12-03-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I too wrapped the glass with electrial tape, seemed to help. Then one day I noticed this, and took it to the dealer. They replaced the whole glass, guess you can't repair the latch. I haven't noticed a rattle since I got it back.

Name:  DSC_5612.jpg
Views: 6109
Size:  71.4 KB
Name:  DSC_5613.jpg
Views: 5177
Size:  88.4 KB

Old 12-08-2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by 08hybridok
I too wrapped the glass with electrial tape, seemed to help. Then one day I noticed this, and took it to the dealer. They replaced the whole glass, guess you can't repair the latch. I haven't noticed a rattle since I got it back.
What was it that you noticed that prompted the trip to the dealer? Did the dealer replace the glass assembly just due to the rattle? I'm having the same rattle so anxious to learn more. Thanks.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by econoline
What was it that you noticed that prompted the trip to the dealer? Did the dealer replace the glass assembly just due to the rattle? I'm having the same rattle so anxious to learn more. Thanks.
Did the pic's not show up? My latch ***'y on the glass came 'unglued'. So the U shapped metal could be pulled about 1" from the glass, only thing keeping it from completly comming off was it's attached to the wiper arm.

Guss not a way to re-glue/fuse it to the window, so a whole new glass was installed.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by 08hybridok
Did the pic's not show up? My latch ***'y on the glass came 'unglued'. So the U shapped metal could be pulled about 1" from the glass, only thing keeping it from completly comming off was it's attached to the wiper arm.

Guss not a way to re-glue/fuse it to the window, so a whole new glass was installed.
I see it now, thanks. Wasn't sure what I was looking at in the pic. I wonder if that glue for attaching rear view mirror to glass would have worked here.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Enthusiast

My 2004 Ford Escape has the rattle from the rear liftgate. I replaced 3 missing rubber grommets that fell out of the interior bottom of the liftgate. you will see the holes. that solved the problem the first time. I am getting the noise again, after several years of driving. All the rubber grommets have fallen out again. they dont fit too well. Try checking it on your car.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by kquinn
My 2004 Ford Escape has the rattle from the rear liftgate. I replaced 3 missing rubber grommets that fell out of the interior bottom of the liftgate. you will see the holes. that solved the problem the first time. I am getting the noise again, after several years of driving. All the rubber grommets have fallen out again. they dont fit too well. Try checking it on your car.
On my 2007 I found 3 holes (about 1/8" dia) on the bottom inside of the liftgate. I believe these are water drain holes as they are recessed into the liftgate slightly and there is no sign of a grommet ever having been there. Is that the location where you added the 3 grommets? I'd sure like to fix my liftgate rattle. Thanks.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Enthusiast

I left the Ford dealership this am. They printed up a schematic of the lift gate and they do not show grommets in the three bottom holes. They may be drainage holes. Next I checked the rubber grommets that support the glass window on the liftgate. One is missing. I ordered them today at Ford parts dept. I know that will help solve the rattle. Unfortunately, I added grommets to the door several years ago, and cannot remember where they went, I thought it was the bottom of the liftgate. I hope this helps you.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by kquinn
I left the Ford dealership this am. They printed up a schematic of the lift gate and they do not show grommets in the three bottom holes. They may be drainage holes. Next I checked the rubber grommets that support the glass window on the liftgate. One is missing. I ordered them today at Ford parts dept. I know that will help solve the rattle. Unfortunately, I added grommets to the door several years ago, and cannot remember where they went, I thought it was the bottom of the liftgate. I hope this helps you.
Yes, thanks, that helps! I'll check for any missing grommets where the glass meets the liftgate. My noise is more of a creaking and not so much a rattle, so could be something else entirely. However, if that's the biggest problem I ever have I won't be complaining.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

I realize this subject is getting a bit old, but I finally went back to my dealer with the rattle in the rear hatch on my '08 FEH. It was somewhat temperature-dependent, with it being worse during cold weather. Lord knows we've had a lot of that this winter. Anyway, I had found that, if I put a thin towel out through the upper window, then close the window, that the rattle quit completely. Not wanting to drive with THAT hanging out all the time, I asked the dealer to again check things. THIS time, they removed the interior cladding on the hatch, adjusted the latch assy. for the window, and now the noise has gone away. Hope it stays away...it was driving me batty. Earlier, I had wrapped tape around the latch hook for the window, but that didn't work very well for some reason. Guess all vehicles are a bit different. There were no TSB's that the tech could locate that spoke to what he did.

Cheers,
Gary

Quick Reply: Rattle from Rear Hatch

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands