Real World Mileage ... how do U measure ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 09:39 AM
Enthusiast

I have a 4WD Escape that I received back on 20th of October (@MSRP!) and have been trading numbers MPG back and forth with people @ edmunds, hybrid cars etc. I'm a bit confused by the numbers I C here and other places ... they seem rather low. I commute approx 87 miles to and from work each day with about 10% traffic and 5% local roads and consistently get around 32mpg. I should mention that assume that I keep the speed to 65mph or less. Perhaps the fuel efficiency numbers displayed on the hybrid system are inaccurate ?

I have not went through the trouble of doing the math/gallons/odometer calcuations, though will for the purposes of providing data here. Has anyone found a disparity between the numbers displayed on the navigation/hybrid system and the actual mileage?

FYI I also reguarly get above 35 but as high as 44 (driving very conservatively) locally.

Old 11-24-2004, 09:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Sherpadude:

___You should always use actual distance traveled divided by gallons purchased for an accurate overall number. The FCD’s can be a bit on the optimistic side in any number of automobiles.

___Don’t just trade numbers, post them in the real world mileage database! As a side note, I have the 2.3 in the Ranger XLT which the Escape is based on and routinely achieve > 35 mpg from it. Hopefully you can do the same …

___Are you the guy that picked up the Escape HEV in NY when the 10 car Kodak or Dow Chemical deal fell through? Makes for an interesting story if that was how you picked it up

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 11-24-2004, 12:51 PM
Site Founder

As of this moment, there are only 3 Escape Hybrids in the database! Quite simply, the estimate isn't accurate, yet. Please do ask these owners to contribute.

Old 11-24-2004, 04:37 PM
Enthusiast

I took delivery October 15, 2WD Escape Hybrid. (MSRP + $800) 1120 miles so far and the milage indicator on the dash floats around 26.4 - 26.5. The real milage, from 3 tanksfull is 27.9. I'm about 75% city streets and 25% freeway. I'm a very conservative driver so needless to say I'm very disappointed with my milage figures.

Old 11-24-2004, 04:41 PM
Site Founder

I am interested to know how Ford's hybrid system works.

In the Prius, I can tell you, it takes much more than 1100 miles before the driver gets a feel of how to optimize. Here's a funny story for you: I've been averaging 45-48 lately. I just filled up at 7800 miles and BOOM. The past 32 miles have averaged 58. Fifty-eight! Of course, I can attribute some to better driving conditions in a short period of time, but that's still a big jump.

Learn your car and you'll make some interesting leaps, too.

Old 11-24-2004, 07:43 PM

Great MPG Jason!
When you finish your trip it sure makes you think "What a car!" B)

Next thing you know you'll find yourself storing a cheap digital camera in your car and keeping an ice bucket!

Old 11-24-2004, 07:45 PM
Site Founder

47 miles and still going strong at 58 MPG. Interesting, eh?

No, I won't turn into one of THOSE people ;D

Old 11-24-2004, 09:42 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by Hot_Georgia_2004@Nov 24th 2004 @ 10:43 PM
Great MPG Jason!
When you finish your trip it sure makes you think "What a car!" B)

Next thing you know you'll find yourself storing a cheap digital camera in your car and keeping an ice bucket!
LOL I remember the Ice Bucket What are you going to do with the Winter season creeping up on us?

By the way: Day after thanksgiving at Target

Samsung 4MP Digital Camera, (model 430) for only 99$

Old 11-25-2004, 08:45 AM

Hi Jason:

___When those that doubt begin telling you to prove it …

___And my favorite DC right now

GOOD DEAL!!! …

5 MP w/ 10X Optical High Res - 2.2” LCD … and Dock

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 11-25-2004, 08:59 AM
Site Founder

Oh, I've already bought myself a Nikon Coolpix 4200, thanks Lets not turn this into a camera discussion, tho.

Quick Reply: Real World Mileage ... how do U measure ?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands