Real World Mileage ... how do U measure ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 09:09 PM
Enthusiast

Sherpa,

If you haven't already done so, check out efusco's EXCELLENT article on hybrid driving, why you usually don't meet EPA numbers, and how to improve your driving style. It's particular to the Prius, for the most part, but a lot of what is said there applies, I'm sure, to the Escape, since it's a system that's quite similar to the Prius, just on a much larger scale.

The article is located here.

Old 12-13-2004, 05:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by HilltopRealtor@Nov 24th 2004 @ 7:37 PM
I took delivery October 15, 2WD Escape Hybrid. (MSRP + $800) 1120 miles so far and the milage indicator on the dash floats around 26.4 - 26.5. The real milage, from 3 tanksfull is 27.9. I'm about 75% city streets and 25% freeway. I'm a very conservative driver so needless to say I'm very disappointed with my milage figures.
Let the car break in more. My Insight had a Lifetime MPG around ~42 MPG up until I reset it around 4500 miles, when I sold it with around 11,000 miles it showed a ~61 Lifetime MPG.

Also, you have to drive a hybrid somewhat differently from a normal car to expect big MPG #'s. And when you master that driving down, you'll more than likely see much better MPG #'s than what the EPA rates. Driving conservative doesn't always mean you're saving MPG. Often driving conservative can cost you just as much as you save, if not more.

Old 12-13-2004, 07:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

There are so many factors involved here. My method is to make this a grand science experiement everyday.

I find the biggest factor is how full the tank is and how many people you carry or the cargo. I am now trying to stay at about a 1/4 tank unless it is a distance between cheap gas stations. The load factor of the gas weight does make a big difference.

I live in high altitude (4,000+) and it seems to give me better MPG than most. But it is also colder here (30-50) and that increases the time until I start getting decent mileage after a cold start (5-15 minutes). From a warm start or idle the time is less than 3 minutes. When summer comes the MPG will increase quite a bit.

I have found from reading the elapsed MPG on the Nav vs. the old way gas in gas out measurement that the Nav underestimates. This is because is has no way of measuring gas actually used while sitting still.

I try to feather lightly the pedal and never use cruise. I never turn on my interior fan. I power slightly downhills and start to coast just before crests. I brake often as I go downhill to charge. I get into EV as often as possible and do not worry much about those behind me if on a four lane.

My average Hwy. is about 30 and have yet to get a good City. My FEH is still breaking in at 1500 miles. Overall I am averaging over 30.

I have tricked it out with a Covercraft Bra (for blowing sand) and Aries Step Sides (for a short wife). I hope to have a good Class II Hitch next week through Curt and Hitch-Web.Com (I'll let you know). Stay away from Ford for accessories. Most are over priced for both the price and install and most dealers are still clueless.

Hope this helps just a bit.

Mike
Sdctcher

Old 12-14-2004, 12:57 PM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Mike - Can't understand why you would not want Ford accessories. They are likely designed and manufactured to higher standards than general aftermarket stuff. There are several on-line sites that you can use to get discounts on them if you think your parts department is gouging. Ford accessories installed at time of vehicle purchase can be added to the note/lease and most will carry the vehicle warranty.
Here is what I do - Ask my salesperson to get the price (his discounted price) on the accessories I am considering. The ones I want, I have them put in the deal at his cost level plus installation (at internal rates). Frankly, I wouldn't have some of the aftermarket parts that some of the chains try to pass off as good parts and accessories. B)

Old 12-14-2004, 05:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey Red - I am not dissing Ford. I love Ford but they are not delivering for me. I bought my side steps from Aries only after comparing both Ford's and their. Simply put, Aries is better configured, stronger, and less than half the cost. I put them on in about an hour. The front cover Ford sells is a bit ugly, does not cover the full front, and does not have netting to keep out bugs although the cost was comparable to Covercraft's.

On trying to install a Tow Pack..Aw! That is a long story.
We have tried three different ones (from Ford) and I took a day at my Dealer plus 200 miles each time and none worked. I have talked with those at the highest level of Ford and they have none available as yet but are working on one.

I really wanted my dealer to put one on for warranty reasons. The are some subtle differences between the regular Escape and the Hybrid that make using any class of current Tow Hitch unusable.

On the left side below the rear air intake a dual set of coolant tubes to/from the batteries run along the frame and obstruct Ford's frame mount hitch.

I am working with Curt Hitch of Wisconsin and Hitch-Web.Com to either try to install one of theirs, modify it as a prototype, or completely manufacture a new model. We'll do this next week in LA and document the whole process for the factory so they can have a guaranteed product to sell us. Before I started down this road I contacted every hitch manufacturer and many retailers in the US and they all said they had no product yet but some are working on one. If Ford or my dealer had offered me this option I would be there in a shot.

I'll keep you informed of my progress, and yes, I will buy Ford if they give me what I want and need.