Rear Coolant Line Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default Rear Coolant Line Leak

I have a slight leak coming from the coolant lines that run to the battery area. My 2006 FEH is 19 months old and has 22K miles on it. Has anyone experienced this problem? Seems like Ford still has problem getting "it right". I will be taking it to the dealer next week.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Rear Coolant Line Leak

Originally Posted by Mike M
I have a slight leak coming from the coolant lines that run to the battery area. My 2006 FEH is 19 months old and has 22K miles on it. Has anyone experienced this problem? Seems like Ford still has problem getting "it right". I will be taking it to the dealer next week.
The coolant lines are freon. Are you seeing water dripping (normal in humid conditions) or refrigerant oil building up on the lines (often a black oily residue on the lines near a leak)?

If you are just seeing water drip - that is normal this time of year with high humidity.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:40 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Nash is correct,

Those are A/C lines to cool the battery pack and they will drip and leave a puddle like the A/C usually does on the front passenger's side. This rear puddle will be smaller and on the drivers side in the rear.

Sean

Old 08-10-2007, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mike M
Freon won't leak out and leave puddles--it will evaporate... only water will leave puddles and the only water back there would be frost/dew from moisture on the coolant lines. I doubt you have a leak. These guys are right....So... looks like Ford is still fine for now unless we are all missing something.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Rear Coolant Line Leak

This is definitely a coolant leak. The liquid is green colored just like anti-freeze. The leak leaves a puddle about 1 inch in diameter at the rear driver side corner of the undercarriage. I don't think humidity has much to do with it as I live in the S. Calif desert with little or no humidity. I noticed there are two metal coolant lines that run through this portion of the undercarriage right above where the suspect pool occurs.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:09 PM
N/A

It seems unlikely that the lines could leak coolant as there is none in them. The lines carry a refrigerant to/from an evaporator. Moisture on the cold parts of the system is normal and a drain allows it to drip out at the rear. Even in the desert, you'll often see moisture there.

Remember that there is both refrigerant and oil in the system. If leaking, as TeeSter says the refrigerant dissipates quickly. But the oil remains. If there's a puddle, it could be oil. The refrigerant oil is a very bright yellow-green, almost fluorescent. It would be easy to think it's coolant, as both have oily textures and your coolant is also a yellow-green color.

Although I'm sorry to hear of your problem, I admit this is interesting and that I'm curious to to hear what your tech finds.

If it's leaking badly, cooling should be diminishing. Does the A/C work?

Don't discount the humidity theory, BTW. I live in a semi-arid climate, and often the weather people will say the humidity here is low, like 15-20%. But even on those days, A/C systems on our cars drip water.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Please look under the hood of your car.
The anti-freeze Ford uses is Pee yellow. No green color at all is used in this car.

Is it possible ( probable ) the green stuff was on the pavement before you parked?

Otherwise, you have a one in a million ( and only a few 10,000 have been made ) car that has a green algae or mold problem.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Enthusiast

I just found the same problem on my 2008 FEH. There is definitely refrigerant oil dripping from the two line on the rear driver side of the vehicle. I live in the same area (Southern California) although the car was purchased in Virgina. Are these the only two instances of this problem? Or is this becoming a major issue?

Old 01-11-2009, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Please look under the hood of your car.
The anti-freeze Ford uses is Pee yellow. No green color at all is used in this car.

Is it possible ( probable ) the green stuff was on the pavement before you parked?

Otherwise, you have a one in a million ( and only a few 10,000 have been made ) car that has a green algae or mold problem.
Not to mention the fact that those lines should be filled with FREON and a bit of oil... not radiator coolant.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:19 AM

The UV dye added to the refrigerant oil that is used to detect leaks on AC systems is often a flouresent green. Is this possibly what you're seeing?

Here's a little more information about the dye: http://www.ehow.com/video_2200620_ca...-check-uv.html

Quick Reply: Rear Coolant Line Leak

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands