Rear ended or Glad I installed a trailer hitch!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 01:36 PM
08 MMH 4WD
Default Rear ended or Glad I installed a trailer hitch!

It seems that every car I own needs to get hit or rear ended at least once. Last night there was a tractor trailer that was blocking the highway so everyone was getting off.

Maybe after a ½ mile on a city street of heavy stop & go I had just crossed the intersection & had to come to a quick stop. The mini-van well behind me did not react fast enough, slammed on their brakes but did not stop in time, bonk!

After we got off the street instead of blocking traffic I could not see any damage. Fortunately her Honda Odyssey nose dived enough & hit my hitch receiver with rubber plug square in the middle of her mini van.

Her front plate & mount were pretty messed up & you could see many paint cracks in the bumper where it flexed. It did not even seem to disturb any of the dirt on my MMH! Glad it was not a real hard hit and only contacted the hitch receiver.

I have the Valley brand class III hitch instead of the Draw-Tite or Hidden Hitch that sticks out maybe an inch beyond the rear bumper. It sticking out des not bother me & I have never hit it with my leg. If that was not back there, this would be a very different story with me needing to get the rear bumper fascia repaired / replaced.

I did get info but I don’t think I will need to file any claims thankfully. Hopefully this was my 1 hit & will now be smooth sailing!

Old 01-15-2008, 05:24 PM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner
Default Re: Rear ended or Glad I installed a trailer hitch!

After looking under the front and rear of my 08 FEHm I am sure we should all have some sort of cross member (like a hitch) across the front and rear of the frame. There is really nothing there so it will all crumple in a wreck!

Old 01-15-2008, 09:14 PM
prg
Enthusiast

Remember, that is the plan. Those are called crumple zones. We sacrifice metal to transmit less energy (shock) to the occupants. More damage to the vehicle, less to the passengers. Cars seem to be less expensive to repair and replace than people.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:55 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

Why not crumple zones WITH 5 mph bumpers?

Old 01-16-2008, 07:34 AM
prg
Enthusiast

5 MPH bumpers would cost the manufacturers and the collision repair industry to much in lost revenue.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:39 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by prg
5 MPH bumpers would cost the manufacturers and the collision repair industry to much in lost revenue.
Exactly!

Old 01-16-2008, 09:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by prg
5 miles per hour bumpers would cost the manufacturers and the collision repair industry to much in lost revenue.
Yes, when the 5-mph-bumper is hit at, say, 6 mph, it is very expensive to replace. I remember years ago the insurance industry later regretting getting them mandated. Over all, it increased their repair bills.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:22 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Yes, when the 5-mph-bumper is hit at, say, 6 mph, it is very expensive to replace. I remember years ago the insurance industry later regretting getting them mandated. Over all, it increased their repair bills.
Maybe the Very expensive to replace is by design!