Rear License Plate Rattle

Old 10-30-2006, 08:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Rear License Plate Rattle

I knew I had them....I went through my box-o-car-stuff and found these:

They are labelled as "Body-Tite Rubber Bumpers 5/8" x 1/2" for Door/Qtr. Glass - P/N 45621" and I think they came from the misc. body parts section of Pep Boys....though they have been in my garage since at least 1999.

The little snap-in cone shaped part was a little big for the holes in my plate, but since the plates are such soft, thin metal I was able to stretch the holes a little bit simply by sticking some needle-nosed pliers in and twisting. Then the bumpers popped right in and held. I recommend bending your plate a little bit so as to force the bottom in towards the vehicle. If your plate is perfectly flat or curves outwards at all even the bumpers won't rest against the tailgate.

Last edited by Tim K; 10-30-2006 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks Tim... This shouyld help a great deal...

Old 10-31-2006, 02:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim K
They are labelled as "Body-Tite Rubber Bumpers 5/8" x 1/2" for Door/Qtr. Glass - P/N 45621" and I think they came from the misc. body parts section of Pep Boys....though they have been in my garage since at least 1999.

The little snap-in cone shaped part was a little big for the holes in my plate, but since the plates are such soft, thin metal I was able to stretch the holes a little bit simply by sticking some needle-nosed pliers in and twisting. Then the bumpers popped right in and held. I recommend bending your plate a little bit so as to force the bottom in towards the vehicle. If your plate is perfectly flat or curves outwards at all even the bumpers won't rest against the tailgate.
Well, Pep Boys still carries them.

They snapped into the bottom holes on my plate quite easily; maybe too easily. However, if they ever fall out, I have extras in the package.

They don't sit flush against the tailgate, but I wanted them more to be there when I slam the tailgate shut, and prevent the metal edges of the plate from striking the paint. They seem to be just right for that.

Thanks Tim!

Old 10-31-2006, 05:17 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the good ideas! I like the idea of drilling holes, but I'm too chicken. I live near salt water and I can envision the rust issues that would happen over time.

I think I'll try the rubber stoppers, although I may fall back to the velcro or weatherstrip if that doesn't work.

Thanks again!

Old 11-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Enthusiast

I used an old plastic license plate frame,(one from a past dealership) as a backing instead of in front,which took up slack. I was then able to thighten the two screws better. The plastic won't damage anything, and no drilling!

Old 11-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks again Tim. I found them at Peps Boyz here in Frederick. They didn't carry them as Body-Tite. They carried them as a line called "HELP!!" they were in a red package. (I don't remember the part number.) They were packaged as an assorment of rubber spacers.

Someone had posted on this line that some of the FEHs had the rubber spacers mounted on the rear liftgate and some didn't. If it makes anyone feel better, my FEH has those rubber spacers mounted to the liftgate and my rear plate still rattled everytime I closed the gate. I added those small spacers to the bottom of the plate and the rattle is now gone... I did have to do what you suggested and use needle-nose pliers to finish pulling the spacer through the license plate's bottome holes. Also by having a plate frame around/over the plate, the spacer also helps to hold the plate in the frame (I also had a problem with me plate falling out of the frame as well when it would rattle.)

Last edited by rihavo; 11-09-2006 at 04:13 AM. Reason: spelling...
Old 02-19-2007, 07:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I was doing a search on something else and came across this one. I think I might have some useful info to share.

Try putting a good sized bead of silicone caulk around the inside edge of your license plate or frame. Let it dry overnight and you'll have a soft "bumper" around the edge of your plate. No more rattles, no more scratches.