Recommended Transmission Service & Transmission Filter ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Default Re: Recommended Transmission Service & Transmission Filter ?'s

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
The owners manual calls for changing the transmission fluid, check it for interval & kind of ATF to use. It has a drain plug and a fill plug. Drain the oil, then refill. No filter. I suppose because it has nothing but gears & bearings to wear.
Over the years since 2004 when the first 2005 FEH was sold, we've found the owners manuals for the FEH included information for the gas Escape. This created conflicts at GH because some posters read the Owner's Manual as the Bible. It appears you are correctly reading the OM but the OM had some information that was reprinted from the gas Escape OM. Many of the misinformation in the FEH OM included things like neutral flat towing which should not be done with the gas Escape transmission but is allowed in the eCVT up to 75mph.

It appears the area in the FEH OM for transmission fluid changes was written for the gas Escape transmission. The eCVT is a sealed transmission with no fluid changes required. The eCVT has a dry One-Way Clutch, a MG1 brake and has no disconnects. I think you'll also find there is a Ford sealant used on the drain and fill plugs that are used when the fluid is drained for inspection.

Ford changed the type of fluid in the '09 FEH to be a better lifetime fluid and have less drag on the eCVT for better MPG. If I remember right, you used an unapproved fluid in your FEH when you changed your fluid. The fluid you used can be substituted in transmissions that use the same fluid in the standard transmission, but not the eCVT.

GaryG

Old 05-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Wilcal: Knew you were right on the damper, they had to have one somewhere, just had to find it.

...And you're very, very right on the necessity for computer control.

garyg You're incorrect.

When I changed out my ATF I used an oil specifically approved by Ford specs and posted the source of approval, found on a Ford website, on this website at the time.

To call the transaxle a "sealed unit" misleads people. Like any mechanical component it has a fill & drain plug. They're easily accessible. When I changed out my ATF there was no evidence of even thread locker on the plugs. The shop manual shows a procedure for changing oil and at no place is it referred to as a "Sealed Unit." Were it so, I believe Ford would not hesitate to say so and tell people to leave well enough alone.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Active Enthusiast
Location: New Jersey. Land of high auto insurance and pollution.

So back on topic....
No transmission filter, thats what I thought.

Called that same dealership back today and asked for a price on a transmission service for an 09 Ford Escape FWD, price $199.99, then asked about an 09 FEH FWD and was quoted $399.99. Talking about trying to rip off hybrid owners. SMH

Old 05-05-2011, 04:32 PM

garyg You're incorrect.

When I changed out my ATF I used an oil specifically approved by Ford specs and posted the source of approval, found on a Ford website, on this website at the time.

To call the transaxle a "sealed unit" misleads people. Like any mechanical component it has a fill & drain plug. They're easily accessible. When I changed out my ATF there was no evidence of even thread locker on the plugs. The shop manual shows a procedure for changing oil and at no place is it referred to as a "Sealed Unit." Were it so, I believe Ford would not hesitate to say so and tell people to leave well enough alone.
Many posters have said their dealer would not change the eCVT transmission fluid because it is a sealed unit. Other dealers want to rip you off and say that the eCVT fluid needs to be changed.

I researched every paper, article, patent, and workshop manual written on the FEH eCVT, and I say again strongly that no fluid change is required. The term sealed did not come from me, but I agree it is a sealed unit.

There are two things required in the '05 FEH Workshop Manual (307-01B-4) when doing an inspection of the eCVT Fluid Drain and Refill:

1. Mercon Multi-Purpose (ATF) Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX. A Caution is given: Do not use any supplement transmission fluid additives or cleaning agents. The use of these products can cause internal transmission components to fail, which will affect the operation of the transmission.

2. Pipe Sealant with Teflon D8AZ-19554-A
The Workshop Manual procedure: After the fluid has been drained, clean the drain plug threads and apply a small amount of pipe sealant.

This is right out of my '05 FEH Workshop Manual Vol 1. There is no maintenance eCVT fluid required changes in the Manual. In fact, Ford is working on designing most of their transmissions so fluid changes will never be required.

GaryG

Old 05-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Imported from Detroit

No gearbox is sealed. It has to be able to equalize the pressure or you will blow a seal. It may have just a small hole in a fill plug, that's all it takes. It may have what they call lifetime lube like the PTU on a 4WD or the rearend.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
There is no maintenance eCVT fluid required changes in the Manual.
Am I correct in saying there is no
"transmission cooler" on the FEH?

Old 05-05-2011, 07:35 PM

The ATF I installed met the specification set out in Ford Spec "XT-2-QDX" and I said so at the time.

I posted the Ford documentation regarding that at the time I discussed changing ATF in the hybrid transaxle. If you look that's also the same spec called for in the Ford Escape with a normal automatic transaxle.

If you wish to get picky on the thread sealant issue:

- The Hybrid transaxle drain & refill procedure does not call for thread sealant (ref pp 307-01B-4 & 5 of the 2006 Shop manual).

- Thread sealant is called for only on the standard Escape Automatic transaxle (ref pp 307-01A-114 & 115 same manual).

As I said:
When I removed my drain & fill plugs on my hybrid transaxle for the first time I saw no evidence of thread locker from Ford's OEM initial assembly process.

Do I think using thread locker is a good idea? You bet, I use it in nearly all applications. But it misleads people when something like this is labeled as required when it is just good engineering practice.

Twolostminds: $399.99??? I don't get it, there is nothing to service beyond draining the ATF & replacing it. One plastic splash shield & two pugs... This isn't just a steal, it causes the inference of incompetence.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:38 PM

Wilcal: the transaxle is cooled by the electronics cooling circuit. The cooler is internal to the transaxle and probably does more cooling for the electronics than for the gears, oil, & such.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:23 AM

The ATF I installed met the specification set out in Ford Spec "XT-2-QDX" and I said so at the time.

I posted the Ford documentation regarding that at the time I discussed changing ATF in the hybrid transaxle. If you look that's also the same spec called for in the Ford Escape with a normal automatic transaxle.

If you wish to get picky on the thread sealant issue:

- The Hybrid transaxle drain & refill procedure does not call for thread sealant (ref pp 307-01B-4 & 5 of the 2006 Shop manual).

- Thread sealant is called for only on the standard Escape Automatic transaxle (ref pp 307-01A-114 & 115 same manual).

As I said:
When I removed my drain & fill plugs on my hybrid transaxle for the first time I saw no evidence of thread locker from Ford's OEM initial assembly process.

Do I think using thread locker is a good idea? You bet, I use it in nearly all applications. But it misleads people when something like this is labeled as required when it is just good engineering practice.
I find it odd that the '06 Workshop Manual does not mention the thread sealant when it is in both my '05 & '09 Workshop Manuals. I quoted Section 307-01B-4 straight from the book and that is for the eCVT. In the '09 Manual Section 307-01B-7 it calls for Motorcraft Mercon LV ATF XT-10-QLV which is the newer fluid and Thread Sealant PTFETA-24 Specification WSK-M2G350-A2 which is different than the '05 Manual. The procedure is the same for applying the sealant to the threads.

The ATF was changed in the '09 FEH:

"High-Efficiency Transaxle. The maximum RPM of the new transaxle’s permanent-magnet synchronous motor-generators has been increased, and a new low-drag transaxle fluid has been formulated. The higher available voltages from the variable-voltage converter allow greater torque at higher speeds. Typically, such voltages also enable a more efficient recuperation of kinetic energy via regenerative braking."
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008...reviews-n.html

Does anyone else have a '06, '07 & '08 Workshop Manuals that can confirm the Thread Sealant is not required on the eCVT ATF drain plug? This is real strange it calls for it in both my '05 & '09 Manuals and not the '06.

Wilcal, there is no required Motor/Electronics coolant changes in my '05 FEH Manual but the '09 Manual calls for a change in that coolant at 100,000 for both the engine and MEC coolant. I recommend changing them both in the '05 at 100,000 miles or 5 years. Neither the '05 or '09 FEH Manual call for a ATF fluid change.

GaryG

Old 05-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
Wilcal, there is no required Motor/Electronics coolant changes in my '05 FEH Manual but the '09 Manual calls for a change in that coolant at 100,000 for both the engine and MEC coolant. I recommend changing them both in the '05 at 100,000 miles or 5 years. Neither the '05 or '09 FEH Manual call for a ATF fluid change.

GaryG
Thanks for the heads up. My 06 FEH has right at 76k on it now and
I put about 2500/mi/yr on my vehicles so I'll make a note for myself
to have it changed in 2021.. FWIW my principle means of transportation
is a bicycle so I get excited when I have to use my FEH. I bought it just
before Christmas last year and it had 75100 on it then.

Quick Reply: Recommended Transmission Service & Transmission Filter ?'s

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands