Regen Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Regen Question

Originally Posted by Makisupa
Perfect. Thank you for the data point.

What about the first behavior described -- when you are in "D" and take your foot off the gas? How would you describe the reaction of the "charge" v. "assist" gauge?
OK, I just checked it. At 35 MPH, removed foot from accelerator pedal. The system went about 40% into regen, then moved back towards the neutral position on the dial - but it stayed at maybe 5-8%, that is it did NOT return all the way to neutral.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:30 PM

"My feeling is that now if I let off the gas in "D" and coasted to a stop then did the same in "L" there would be no difference how far I would coast. Before the accident "L" had more resistance and I would have stopped sooner. Hopefully that makes sense."

In the '09 FEH, "L" while in decel does not charge the battery and only provides a run-up of engine RPM's in fuel-cut. What you are describing sounds like the battery module is for the '09 system which no longer allows heavy regen in "L" to protect the battery from excessive heat.

A wrecked '09 FEH will have a build date on the door for 2008 like mine and can be easy confused as an '08 because they have the same body style. I don't know if an '09 battery control module can be reflashed with the older system programming or not. You may have to just put up with this new behavior or get to the bottom of it with the insurance company who paid for the repair. At any rate, the behavior of your FEH has changed from the original programming.

GaryG

Old 02-09-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by subdewd
would also depend on outside temp and or SOC battery.
That is true, but he has 35,000 miles of experience driving this '06 FEH before the accident and should know all of that.

GaryG

Old 02-09-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by GaryG
"My feeling is that now if I let off the gas in "D" and coasted to a stop then did the same in "L" there would be no difference how far I would coast. Before the accident "L" had more resistance and I would have stopped sooner. Hopefully that makes sense."

In the '09 FEH, "L" while in decel does not charge the battery and only provides a run-up of engine RPM's in fuel-cut. What you are describing sounds like the battery module is for the '09 system which no longer allows heavy regen in "L" to protect the battery from excessive heat.

A wrecked '09 FEH will have a build date on the door for 2008 like mine and can be easy confused as an '08 because they have the same body style. I don't know if an '09 battery control module can be reflashed with the older system programming or not. You may have to just put up with this new behavior or get to the bottom of it with the insurance company who paid for the repair. At any rate, the behavior of your FEH has changed from the original programming.

GaryG
What I understand you to be saying is that the OP should go to the junkyard and check the build date of the FEH from which the replacement battery was removed. Better yet, get the VIN and run it through the Ford VIN checker.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevedebi
What I understand you to be saying is that the OP should go to the junkyard and check the build date of the FEH from which the replacement battery was removed. Better yet, get the VIN and run it through the Ford VIN checker.
I took Gary to mean "even though though the shop told you this came from an '08 its quite possible that it came from an '09 and the shop was confused". The shop ordered the battery replacement from somewhere and It was was shipped here (Indiana) from Oregon -- so this is possible.

Thanks all for the responses. Things are beginning to make sense now.

Mak.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:45 PM

It maybe harder than going to a local junkyard when sometimes the Insurance Companies do a national search for a good price on a hard to find part. That's why I said get to the bottom of the issue with the Insurance Company.

GaryG

Old 02-09-2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by GaryG
It maybe harder than going to a local junkyard when sometimes the Insurance Companies do a national search for a good price on a hard to find part. That's why I said get to the bottom of the issue with the Insurance Company.

GaryG
Ah, got it. That is likely to be hard to do, if all the repair shop did was order a battery pack...

Old 02-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

I am an insurance agent and have been for 25 years. Gary is correct, this is the insurance co.'s problem. They(as your representative) paid for a non-stock, meaning not 100% compatible part to be used. All reputable suppliers of such parts VIN ID every part to ensure 100% compatibility. Either the part supplier or the auto shop screwed this one up and the insurance adjuster either knew or did not know about the substitution. My best advice would be to speak with the claim manager and make it clear that this is not acceptable and that you wish to file a complaint. Put the ball in their court and out of yours.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jerry&Natalie
I am an insurance agent and have been for 25 years. Gary is correct, this is the insurance co.'s problem. They(as your representative) paid for a non-stock, meaning not 100% compatible part to be used. All reputable suppliers of such parts VIN ID every part to ensure 100% compatibility. Either the part supplier or the auto shop screwed this one up and the insurance adjuster either knew or did not know about the substitution. My best advice would be to speak with the claim manager and make it clear that this is not acceptable and that you wish to file a complaint. Put the ball in their court and out of yours.
You are assuming that the part is wrong. That is not a known fact at this point.

All we know is that the FEH seems to be working differently after the repairs, not the cause.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:35 PM

You are assuming that the part is wrong. That is not a known fact at this point.

All we know is that the FEH seems to be working differently after the repairs, not the cause.
That could be true Steve, but it's up to Insurance to make it operate in the same manner before the crash what ever the problem is.

If I worked for that Insurance and seen any damage to the battery, I would have most likely called the '06 FEH a total loss and just paid the owner off. If this was what happen and the owner bought the vehicle back from the Insurance Company and had it repaired, the Insurance Company is off the hook.

GaryG

Quick Reply: Regen Question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands