Rented an Escape

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Rented an Escape

I just rented an Escape for a couple of days. It was not an FEH, I don't know how available those are, but it did give me a good sense of the suv as an suv. I loved it! It is more confortable than my Prius (at 6"1", 175 lbs, I don't find the Prius seats that comfortable). Did great on some dirt roads I took it on. My only quibble is the lack of storage space up front, a tiny glove box, and the center console is not exactly cavernous.

I see a 2009 FED in my future, 2009 being something of a break-out year. New, the FEH does not make economic sense when compared to a nonhybrid Escape. I noticed the prices get more rational on the used market, so I am going to wait a bit for a used 2009. Also, my Prius is a 2006 (55,000 miles); I would not mind getting a little more value out of it. This fall maybe??

Thanks for all of the feedback from this list. Very helpful.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Default Re: Rented an Escape

Get a used FEH - that way the value has depreciated and that way you lose no money. The new ones are super expensive but my Dad just got a 2008 FEH that was a fleet vehicle. It really didn't have the high of mileage and drives so much better that the regular Ford Escape. He did some searching online - my parents love Ebay and then started to negotiate. He absolutely loves it. If you like the way the regular Escape drives, you will love the Hybrid.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by diver110
I just rented an Escape for a couple of days. It was not an FEH, I don't know how available those are, but it did give me a good sense of the suv as an suv. I loved it! It is more confortable than my Prius (at 6"1", 175 lbs, I don't find the Prius seats that comfortable). Did great on some dirt roads I took it on. My only quibble is the lack of storage space up front, a tiny glove box, and the center console is not exactly cavernous.

Thanks for all of the feedback from this list. Very helpful.
The center console IS CAVERNOUS (at least in the '08). There is a removable tray at the top, and once that is removed, the opening goes all the way to the floor. They advertise that you can put a laptop in there, although mine wouldn't fit. It's kinda wasted space to me since it's kinda deep, but you could stash a folding umbrella and some gloves for rainy days (and still keep change other odds and ends in the removable part). You're right about the glove box though--it is tiny compared to other small SUVs.

The whole new vs. lightly used question is a toughy. Buying new will never be as good financially as buying used. However, the used market for hybrids was out of control when gas was $4/g, and if gas climbs up there again, you could lose any value proposition gained by waiting. If you're the type of person to buy a car and hold it, I would say to take the plunge and get a new one. If you think you would probably own it less than 5 years, waiting might be better (provided you don't think gas will hit $4/g again).

Old 04-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback, Kristian. Apparently they made the center console smaller in 2009 (maybe because people found the other one too deep??).

Old 04-21-2009, 12:32 PM

It is the same on the '09s as the '08s. In this picture below, the first removable tray is what the lipstick is in (which is not what I'm talking about). The second removable tray is removed by grabbing the ridged black plastic in front of the quarters and lifting the whole tray out. Once that is pulled out, the console goes all the way to the floor.

Like I say, it's not the most usable space--especially since that black plastic front would be gone once it's removed, but it is great for those things you only need once in a while.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:09 AM

Wider, more comfortable, MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE, say even with side support bolsters, seats are more expensive to produce than simply adding a bit of plastic to the glove box.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:35 AM

New vs used, hard to decide. New- you know the entire history, still get the tax credit for another week I believe, it's 1/2 next quarter (I think I recall that correctly).
Used, better deal ?? Maybe. I bought mine new in May 07 (2008p1) for $28k (sticker price, no negoations, no dealer transfers) but while gas was $3-4 ebay, yahoo autos, etc were selling used with 20k miles+ for $28-30k for the same options I had!!! But that was last summer, I haven't researched lately, I'm sure the prices have finally deflated.

Either way you still get the full Hybrid warrenty of what is it 8y/100k in most states, some are more (CA,??)

It's a gamble on this summers Fuel prices. If they skyrocket again, we have another bad hurricane season, etc, used prices will stay up.
Also how long you plan on owning has a factor. <5yrs used probably makes sence, me I plan on owning until it's dead [hopefully 10+ yrs, not sure on battery life yet as they're only 5yrs old, but hoping new technology will be plug & play when that time comes]

Old 04-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have to pay the alternative minimum tax, so the tax credit is of no value to me, sad to say. That might have changed the analysis. It did when I bought the Prius, at which time the alt min tax did not apply to me. Actually, I looked at used Prius's, but it did not make sense to buy them, not enough of a discount off of new. At the time I also thought about the FEH, but it was more money, and in 2006 they did not yet have a track record.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

BTW, in San Diego's Craiglist there is a 2008 FEH for sale for about $14,000. Admittedly sounds too good to be true.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by diver110
BTW, in San Diego's Craiglist there is a 2008 FEH for sale for about $14,000. Admittedly sounds too good to be true.
Maybe not. Found this one on ebay, $14,900. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...fCarsQ5fTrucks

It seems to be a 'basic' but we all know that still means lots of cool features! I love reading descriptions or included or optional equip added, things like cupholders, remote keyless entry with get this.... 2 keys!

But overall it looks great (BTW where does one get a cleaning like that done, and how much does it cost?!). The Conti's even look good at 75k!

It seems most are asking $20-23k, a few 18's

Quick Reply: Rented an Escape

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands