Repl tires other than Michelin or Continental

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 12:16 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Repl tires other than Michelin or Continental

So, the answer is: you know-it-all experts about tires, inflation, and Escape Hybrids just flat DON'T know about anything other than your Michelin Lattitude Tours or the Continentals that your FEH came with, AND INSIST ON MAKING IT KNOWN ON EVERY THREAD, REGARDLESS OF THE TOPIC!

GO BACK TO YOUR OWN THREADS!!!!!

Old 10-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Flash seems to have an issue with those who offer their experience and logic for what they do and the resulting results (pun intended). Lots of people have tried different tires with different results. If the Latitudes seem to provide the answer people are looking for, why does he have a problem with that. This is a forum for information exchange. Yes, we all have personalities and put out stuff, just like another portion of the body. If you don't like the answer, ignore it or do your own research! Then, like this forum was intended, pass your experience on to others. That's what just about everyone does. Sorry you have a problem with that; life's a b---h, then you die. Lighten up!

Old 10-13-2010, 07:49 PM

Hi Bob

Flash didn't like the answer his dealer told him and he doesn't like the answers here. I'd love it if someone could give him the answer he's looking for, but the Grabber buyers are remaining quiet for some reason.

Very seldom do I like the OEM tires that come with the vehicle but I think Ford has done an outstanding job with the FEH. For instance, I had a serious balancing problem with the tires and rims on my '02 Explorer. I took it to my local tire store to get a lifetime rotation and balance right after my purchase of the vehicle. They told me the chrome steel rims were all out-of-round and one of the OEM Goodyear tires was also out-of-round. I then took my Explorer to have the Goodyear tire replaced at a Goodyear store and they confirmed that they would not replace the tire till the out-of-round rim was replaced. I then took the issue to the dealer and they indexed the tires with the rim and the Explorer road great after. The tech told me this happens all the time when Ford uses Goodyear OEM tires and said the rims will be just fine if I replaced the tires with Michelins after they wear out.

I had gotten road hazard protection from my original tire store and had 2 of those Goodyear tires replaced prorated and still had to go back to my Ford dealer to index them to the rim to balance them. I ended up replacing the Goodyears after they wore out with Michelins and my tire store balanced them on the same rims with no problems.

I would have never chose a Continental tire but the OEM FEH Eco-Plus was a good tire. Continental choose to discontinue the Ford spec and I will never buy any other Continental tire unless Ford backs them up like they did originally. Same thing for General Tires, I've heard nothing exciting about them. Michelin has earned the right to be top of the line and of course they get top dollar. If cheap was better or even good, people would buy. Cheap tires only have to look good to sell the vehicle.

GaryG

Old 10-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Maybe the topic of this thread should have been more specific, i.e. Bridgestone, Kumho, General, Pirelli LRR Tire Reviews?

Just because people here don't have experience with these tires on a FEH, or they weren't developed as Ford OEM, does not mean they are all inferior. It's great people have good experiences with their current tires, but it is in the realm of possibility that competing products are just as good or better. Hopefully this thread will entice some lurkers to try different ones and post up their experiences. I'm curious also how Conti has improved their new LRR tire over the old Eco-Plus.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by D-mac
Maybe the topic of this thread should have been more specific, i.e. Bridgestone, Kumho, General, Pirelli LRR Tire Reviews?

Just because people here don't have experience with these tires on a FEH, or they weren't developed as Ford OEM, does not mean they are all inferior. It's great people have good experiences with their current tires, but it is in the realm of possibility that competing products are just as good or better. Hopefully this thread will entice some lurkers to try different ones and post up their experiences. I'm curious also how Conti has improved their new LRR tire over the old Eco-Plus.
The replacement of the Eco-Plus is the LRR CrossContact LX. As I've posted, weight is a big factor in LRR tires in improving MPG. The CrossContact LX jumped to 34 pounds which is 3 pounds heavier than the Eco-Plus and one pound heavier than the Grabbers. Looks like Continental took a big step backwards in LRR compared to the Eco-Plus.

GaryG

Old 10-16-2010, 09:07 AM

Ford just decided to put Goodyear’s Fortera HL 245/65R17 tires on the base model 2011 Explorer. They weigh 32 pounds so Ford is trying to get the best in class mileage rating with these tires with either the 2.0L Eco-Boost or 3.5L engine. The cost at Tire Rack is $169 each for that size but the Escape 235/70R16 is $154 and the weight is the same as the OEM Eco-Plus at 31 pounds.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

I ordered the 2011 Explorer Limited which comes with 20" rims so I don't know yet what tire or its size Ford will use on that model.

GaryG

Old 10-19-2010, 11:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

I can't imagine more specific than NOT Continental of Michelin. That leaves lots of room, but I guess for some people it's like saying "don't look at that thing over there".

Old 10-20-2010, 04:28 AM

With that kind of gratitude, I wouldn't be surprised if you got no more help.

People aren't obligated to help you, you know. They're just telling you what they know.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:35 PM

Tire Rack has a 3-way SUV LRR tire test, Kumho vs. Michelin vs. Pirelli. I think Kumho could be a value winner for a $100 tire that gets the same mileage in their test as the Michelin. According to Kumho's website the 235/70-16 only weighs 28.9 pounds!

Old 10-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Only questions I have would be, has anyone tried these out and if so, what do you think of them and how well do they perform? We know lighter tires can be made, but performing as well as Contis or Michelins at a much lower cost? Hmm, makes one wonder. I'll look at TR's site and see what's what. Anyone out there have first-hand experience with these?

Quick Reply: Repl tires other than Michelin or Continental

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands