Replacement costs for 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid battery pack

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:25 PM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Replacement costs for 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid battery pack

The NiMh battery sticks are readily available for $50. Any number of companies are rebuilding battery packs today (Hybrid Battery Repair, The Battery Clinic, Rathbone Energy, Hanson's Hybrid Repair Co, etc.) I am perfectly satisfied that each major market will have rebuilt hybrid battery alternatives for the Escape as well as the Fusion - just like they do now for the Hondas and Toyotas. Salvage yards will be another possible source for low cost battery packs.

The point is, don't ignore the alternatives to a new "factory" battery pack. BTW, did you see that Toyota dropped their battery pack price by more than half. The headlines about $8,000 cost to repair don't hold water today.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rcomeau
If we can try to keep the discussion focused on the original topic, the short answer is that, as Gary said, your battery will be warrantied for 8 years or 100,000 miles. after that, the evidence of owners here and also by the San Francisco taxi experience is that the battery will last longer than that, so it should not be a major concern in buying the Hybrid. The cost or replacing MAY be high (with possibilities of that coming down) but the odds of it needing replacement at all is low.

Best,
Or 10 years / 150,000 miles for CARB states. I'm not clear on if that means the state where the vehicle resides, or the state where bought, for used vehicles.

Maybe we need a new thread to discuss battery replacement...

Last edited by stevedebi; 01-08-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I bought my FEH in CA. The VIN number is a CA VIN.

However, I live and have the car registered in Colorado.
The warranty applies based on the state the car is registered in at the time warranty service is requested.

I'm at 99,250 miles as of today.
If the battery for sure fails in the next 50,000 miles, and I know that's the only thing wrong, I will sell the car to a family member in CA and he/she can register it, and apply for warranty service in CA.

Of course I will need to tow the car ( likely ) to CA.

If it's a "second hand" vehicle, you probably won't oppose getting a "second hand" battery pack, and I've seen them ( a drop in replacement ) for sale for under $2000.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
I bought my FEH in CA. The VIN number is a CA VIN.

However, I live and have the car registered in Colorado.
The warranty applies based on the state the car is registered in at the time warranty service is requested.

I'm at 99,250 miles as of today.
If the battery for sure fails in the next 50,000 miles, and I know that's the only thing wrong, I will sell the car to a family member in CA and he/she can register it, and apply for warranty service in CA.

Of course I will need to tow the car ( likely ) to CA.

If it's a "second hand" vehicle, you probably won't oppose getting a "second hand" battery pack, and I've seen them ( a drop in replacement ) for sale for under $2000.
If the pack works at all the vehicle can be driven.

I concur that battery pack failure is not a high worry for me, at least not due to long life issues, as opposed to having a bad pack.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
I ask a Ford Parts Dept back in '05 when I bought my '05 FEH and they said the battery retailed for $7,000. The cost of installation will vary by location and dealership.

If the '08 FEH was purchased in NY it came with a 150,000 mile / 10yr warranty for the HV battery, eCVT, and DC/DC converter. The HV battery should last much longer than that with SF Taxis going pasted 300,000 miles with no major repairs.

These vehicles may be a good prospect for a plog-in conversion retrofit Lithium battery by the time the original HV battery goes bad.

GaryG

Hi,

Gary say that car is a good candidate to become a PHEV with conversion. If I try to do it myself, changing the old battery by the better one like LFP 15ah cilynder one, and put a charger. If I'm be able to fit the new size of battery in the box, which kind of correction I must do in the computer to reinitialize. re-programming charge/discharge setting, start/ stop ICE engine, etc. Can I do it by myself or Does somebody can help me?

Thank to answer!

Old 02-28-2012, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by hotpade
Hi,

Gary say that car is a good candidate to become a PHEV with conversion. If I try to do it myself, changing the old battery by the better one like LFP 15ah cilynder one, and put a charger. If I'm be able to fit the new size of battery in the box, which kind of correction I must do in the computer to reinitialize. re-programming charge/discharge setting, start/ stop ICE engine, etc. Can I do it by myself or Does somebody can help me?

Thank to answer!
Now that I have 7 years of ownership and understand a little more about HV batteries, I don't recommend converting or altering the FEH. In fact, I completely gave up on this happening and sold my '05 FEH last year. The cost of a professional company converting the FEH was to high with a great deal of risk of it working properly. There are too many issues to deal with in my opinion and it looks like Ford has gave up on this plug-in FEH also.

At this point, I have decided to hang on to my stock '09 FEH and sell it to buy a new vehicle (electric or plug-in hybrid) when the cost is reasonable to upgrade.

GaryG

Old 02-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Packs can be found for well under 1000, a lot of times less than 500 with higher miles. Installation will be similar or less at a reputable dealer.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:02 AM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Replacement costs for 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid battery pack

I have a 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid I bought off the original owner. It’s at close to 200,000 miles and Ford says the batteries are holding strong. I absolutely love this vehicle. I wish I could switch it over to all electric but the one solid option there use to be seems to have folded and gone away. I’ve looked up battery replacements and here is a solid place to get them as low as $2K for remanufactured. There the same for 2005 to 2009 Escape Hybrids: GreenTecAuto.com

Wether you are able to put them in yourself or have to have a professional do it I assume comes with additional costs. I only paid $4300 for this car in immaculate shape close to 2 years ago. I have no problem putting $2K to $2.5K in to it to extend it another 4 to 8 years if that comes to be.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:41 AM

You are WAY better off trying to find a cheap salvage yard unit with lower miles from a mild climate. That's what GreenTec is selling you. They found one for 500-700, and they've run it through a couple hours of testing, and now they're slapping a $1500 premium on it.

If you have the jump starter, try to get one with a jump starter. It's physically in the battery.

Old 11-05-2019, 12:18 AM
gsH
Banned

SKeith, repost your info and let us be the judge of how good, and economical your two year old techniques and bold claims are. Where is your booklet, or book available now to help people who have problems and are dealing with these issues now? Teach me what we need to know from your past work.

Quick Reply: Replacement costs for 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid battery pack

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands